Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Job Centre Plus letter

Job Centre Plus letter

Hi I have today received a letter from Job centre plus asking for my email and phone number in order to keep their records updated for ESA, it says I am required to return it within 2 weeks in the enclosed return envelope ( which isn't actually enclosed) Ive never heard of this before and wonder what its about, they do have my phone number already due to my PIP claim but am not aware that they contact people being contacted by email, am I being overly suspicious about this letter? Last year I had a customer compliance interview and heard nothing back, after that I decided to claim PIP and after assessment was awarded it for 6 years.

Sorry not heard of this, I've never had an email from the DWP in any department and the only phone call I've had was regarding reconsideration for PIP. Typical about the envelope - saving money

Hopefully someone may shed some light on this for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mollymeg View Post
    Hi I have today received a letter from Job centre plus asking for my email and phone number in order to keep their records updated for ESA, it says I am required to return it within 2 weeks in the enclosed return envelope ( which isn't actually enclosed) Ive never heard of this before and wonder what its about, they do have my phone number already due to my PIP claim but am not aware that they contact people being contacted by email, am I being overly suspicious about this letter? Last year I had a customer compliance interview and heard nothing back, after that I decided to claim PIP and after assessment was awarded it for 6 years.
    Which group are you in with ESA?

Support group or WRAG?

vikstar
    Quote Originally Posted by mollymeg View Post
    You are not legally obliged to provide phone numbers, e-mail addresses or any contact details other than your postal address, and can refuse to do so.

DWP should never contact you by an e-mail containing personal information due to data protection issues. They wouldn't leave a message divulging your personal information on an answer phone either due to the same ; in case of wrong e-mail address/wrong phone number.

This is why they have security questions when speaking to you on the phone to make sure they are talking to the right person.

They do have a secure e-mail system (GSI) that they use interdepartmentally, or for stake holders.
    Last edited by vikstar; 28-04-15 at 11:18.

Looks to me like something to do with JSA & all that Job Search bulls - - t, they do get these things wrong quite frequently when sending out the letters.
    Personally I'd give em a ring and question it, Job Search has nothing to do with ESA.

NB: If it turns out you do have to give em an email addy, just create a new one especially for them don't give your own personal one.
    Last edited by Jard; 28-04-15 at 10:17. Reason: Adding text

vikstar
    From the looks of this response to an foi request, it might be in connection with JSA or Universal Credit, (if it ever get off the ground fully)

http://refuted.org.uk/2013/11/07/emailtelephone/

It also states that claimants are not obliged to provide phone number/e-mail address details that it is a matter of choice.

Not relevant to ESA IMO.

vikstar
    It depends whether the OP wants to comply with request, or challenge the request.

If wanting to challenge, they should be asking JCP to supply relevant legislation that states that they must supply the information.

They could also consult the Information Commissioner's Office, https://ico.org.uk/

I certainly wouldn't want them contacting me by email. If it's important, I don't want it slipping into the junk folder and me not being notified that they contacted me.

Moody
    I would add that in my experience you want every interaction with JC+ and DWP in writing. Even more so in these days of anything will be used to sanction or delay I hate that a "welfare" system had become so untrustworthy

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    Which group are you in with ESA?

Support group or WRAG?
    I'm in the support group for ESA and get standard rate daily living and enhanced mobility for PIP