Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I just don't know what to do and feel let down I really need advice.

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015

    I just don't know what to do and feel let down I really need advice.

    Hi everyone,

    I'll try and make this brief.
    Basically when I was 15 I was sent to a mental health hospital for an assessment. I was assessed by the top person there and was told I wouldn't be able to work again and was on incapacity for 13 years.

    Then it changed to esa and I was put on the work part without a single assessment and out of the 12 months the advisor spoke to me one! I got no support into work which I'd asked for as well.

    After that ended I asked if I could appeal partner works over 24 hours so was told no fast followed two years we are totally struggling me and my husband and have been since this happened. Things like food petrol to his work. I can't even remember the last time I bought clothes. If we could get rid of the car we would but it's part of his job!!

    I have tried to go to interviews very hard when you are agrophobic on top of all the other problems I have. I also have autisum I made it to one interview and bust out crying needless to say didn't get the job! Every time I am asked do I have a disability I say yes I feel this maybe doesn't help. I am also on so much medication to function 5 tablets a day which helps but doesn't help my concentration and when again I've had to tell employers. I have been told being on that amount I could be a risk in the job.

    Since my money stoped two years ago life has been nothing but stressful for me and my husband and I can't even get help with a job. I just want to stop seeing my husband so worried all the time and I can't even help I actually don't know what this post is about now. Lol.

    Has anyone else went through this? Is there light at the end of the tunnel. I feel so let down and also by the dwp I mean what is the point of a work support part??? When there has never been any!!! I've had no help or support anywhere since doctors just refer me to phycholgists and I can't even get to the appointments and that's after a 6 month waiting list.

    Thanks allot to anyone that reads this. I dunno if this is a rant or what.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    I don't know anything about esa I'm afraid but I have mental health problems the waiting times are ridiculous , do you claim PIP ? , that might help with the financial side x

  3. #3
    Senior Member nukecad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    West Cumbria (Lake District)
    That sounds as if you were getting Contribution Based ESA for a year based on your NI contributions. After a year this ran out and because your husband is working you do not qualify for Income Related ESA.

    As madhatter says you should consider claiming for PIP.
    This is not means tested and so your husbands job would not matter.

    You dont get much help from the jobcentres these days, they just point you at a computer and say get on with it. (most of them dont like this either, they took the job to help people, but the have to do what they are told to).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

    Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Hello igiveup,

    Lets have a look to see if we can help you improve your situation, as the others above have already said you can make an application for PIP. If your ESA claim is still open (at the nil rate) and hasn't been closed you may also be able to ask for a review, based on a deterioration of your condition if your GP will support it, do you know if your claim is still open ? or have you had a 'Fit for Work' decision ?.
    Your husband may also be able to make an application for 'Working Tax Credits' (WTC's), have you tried this yet ?.

    Your best way forward to do any of this is to contact a qualified benefit adviser nearest to you, like CAB or Welfare Rights or MIND who specialise in helping people with MH problems. Put a search into Google with your post code, City or County for them and see if there's a phone number you can ring.

    Please try this and come on back and let us know how it's going.

    NB: In addition to what I've said in para 1, you may also qualify for some housing benefit help you would need to contact your Local Authority about this.
    Last edited by Jard; 24-04-15 at 13:32. Reason: Adding text

Similar Threads

  1. feel a right numpty!!!
    By candy1567 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-01-15, 20:02
  2. I feel disabled,am I ?
    By whatsleft in forum Health - help & advice on health issues for disabled people
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 19-12-13, 22:07
  3. How would you feel?
    By Boo-dicca in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-07-13, 12:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts