Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble finding a Dentist

Trouble finding a Dentist

Ok, so we moved here a year ago, and since then I have been trying to register with a local dentist. Up until now I have not managed to do so. None of them are taking new patients.

I do not get free dental, but want to go as an NHS patient as I could not afford private fees.

As we do not drive, we need a dentist on a local bus route or not too far away to go by taxi, due to travel costs.

I am at the moment developing a dental abcess and in quite a bit of pain, but local dentists will not even see me as an emergency.

I have spent the morning on the phone again, trying to get registered, all to no avail.

It looks like I will have to go to a walk in centre for some antibiotics and explain that I have been unable to register. But even if they see me and give me antibiotics, it will not solve the problem of being unable to register with a dentist.

I am so frustrated by this.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Im surprised your having this problem. I see that your in staffordshire like me. I had no problems finding a dentist.

Given your need for urgent treatment, the only thing i could suggest is opening up google and searching for dentists. Call the closest ones first, and keep going further and further away until you find one that will take new patients. This may be a pain if you end up with a long journey to the dentists, however given the urgent need for treatment is surely worth the pain. After you've got your treatment, you can then keep trying at a closer dentists and hopefully places will open up before you next need treatment.

which part of staffordshire are you in?

I know the feeling, today just spent £95 to see a private GP - as my GP - emergency appointments are four/five weeks.

Also 'frustrated'.

Its awful Amy.

I do not see my GP as a rule, as there is not much he can do for me. But when I do need to see him, because pain is unmanageable, infection etc, its a nightmare getting an appt. Ours is a "phone on the day" practice, so always problems.

I have just telephoned the emergency dental care in our area. They have nothing for today or tomorrow, so I have to phone first thing wednesday to see if I can get in. They will also give me a list of dentists that are taking on new NHS patients. So, hopefully I will be able to register with one, but it looks like I will have to go a fair distance.

Oh well, I just want to get registered, so I will have to travel. Just hoping that I can get some antibiotics in the meantime on wednesday. (fingers crossed)
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Thanks beau.

I already looked on there, but the info is not correct for my area.

It said that one of the local ones was taking on patients when it was not.

There is one a few miles away, so I think I will have to go for that.
    A few miles does not sound much, but when you don't drive its a bit more difficult. We can get a bus to the town centre then make our way to the dentist, (partner pushing my wheelchair) or, the better option for me, is a taxi. Unfortunately this adds about £14 to the cost, but needs must.

We received better treatment when I lived in a third world country.

Now we can't get dentists, GPs, A&E

Good luck Babyblue64 hope you get it sorted.

Thanks Amy.

Finding it hard to cope with the "extra" pain on top of all my usual stuff. Taking Tramadol for my other pain, but its not doing much for my mouth. Just keep doing salt water gargles, but my face is swelling rapidly now. Feeling pretty lousy.

I know just what you mean about taxis, I have to use them to go anywhere. Works out very expensive. £12 return just to visit my doctor, £5.40 to go to the dentist return.

Its shocking beau.

I am sure there are a lot of us that either do not or cannot drive. (I used to drive but had to give up due to my conditions, meds etc)

I have a bus pass, but I have to be having an exceptionally good day and not be travelling far to use the bus. (and a lot of the drivers round here look down their noses because they have to lower the bus and wait longer for me to get on) so, like you, I rely on taxis an awful lot.
    We try to use a local family firm as they are more reasonable and very helpful with my wheelchair etc. The problem is they only have 4 cars, so not always available.