Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacked

Sacked

OK first of all it's not me as I'm retired. My lodger was sacked today and given one month's notice for whatever reason.

She started working there in November and will be paid until 10 May. She's not unduly worried as she didn't feel she fitted in.

Her plans are to take a holiday away in this country for a week then sign on at a temp agency for clerical type work. She says she has some savings to tie her over.

My question is - is she entitled to CBESA
    Could she claim housing benefit to pay her rent if need be.

She's hit a tricky patch and I just want t give her positive news just in case it's needed.

She will have to claim job seekers and sign on.
    Why is she going to try clerical work. I thought she was a solicitor or I may well have got that wrong.

She's a Legal Secretary. It seems she was given the runaround in the office and her new boss went on long term sick just before she started in an area of work she hadn't experience of. She was set-up to fail - best out of 'office politics' in my opinion.

She seems very resourceful and will probably go temping after she's had a short break.

I must admit it must be very difficult these days trying to keep a job down. I guess I was lucky only being made redundant once in 38 years - hard to believe really.

I guess she would sign on after her month's notice runs out if she needs too. She says she might try the travel business if any opportunities arrive. I think she's too tall to be a flight attendant!

Ha! at first I thought you'd sacked her. Its better than Eastenders, this tale of LT's life!
    Yep she has to sigh on BUT if she has dosh stashed away, she may not get it. Hb? dunno what the position on lodgers is? do you have a written agreement? Can't see them paying out w.o. written proof from you. And agency work is often the best temp wise. My daughter did for a while - earns the bread and butter!

Oh god, she now thinks tat she has a case for unfair dismissal as she wasn't given any verbal or written cautions.

She was given a letter that just outlined her pay and holidays.

If she didn't know how to use any software that would just be a training issue - not a sackable offence.

Maybe it has to do with six women working in a compact office - a nightmare!! Maybe that's why she prefers to house share with a bloke. We are so easy to live with!

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Ha! at first I thought you'd sacked her. Its better than Eastenders, this tale of LT's life!
    Yep she has to sigh on BUT if she has dosh stashed away, she may not get it. Hb? dunno what the position on lodgers is? do you have a written agreement? Can't see them paying out w.o. written proof from you. And agency work is often the best temp wise. My daughter did for a while - earns the bread and butter!
    CB JSA does not take into account savings but Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction would, as long as she does not have more than ?16,000

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Oh god, she now thinks tat she has a case for unfair dismissal as she wasn't given any verbal or written cautions.

She was given a letter that just outlined her pay and holidays.

If she didn't know how to use any software that would just be a training issue - not a sackable offence.

Maybe it has to do with six women working in a compact office - a nightmare!! Maybe that's why she prefers to house share with a bloke. We are so easy to live with!
    I would seek advice from CAB or another agency to see if she has a case for Unfair Dismissal.

Maybe that's why she prefers to house share with a bloke. We are so easy to live with!
    okay now I've finished laffin my head off........Blokes?? easy to live with?? Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!
    don't get me started on that one

It would seem she can't claim unfair dismissal as she hasn't worked their for two years.

Reddivine - I'm glad I touched your chuckle button

It would seem she can't claim unfair dismissal as she hasn't worked their for two years.

Reddivine - I'm glad I touched your chuckle button
    That's wrong, there are some exceptions: see here: http://www.morton-fraser.com/knowled...-years-service