Thread: question about severe disability premium

question about severe disability premium

Hello I have been today to see the Citizen Advice I feel no further forward. Let me summarize I live with ex partner as we are both named on mortgage. He gets CB ESA and Enhanced Daily Living And Standard Mobility PIP
    I get CB ESA and been awarded PIP standard rate for daily living.
    To be eligible for SDP I have been told I need to apply for IR ESA and then live alone. Then she made a phone call and came back to say you will stay on CB ESA but transfer to IR top up ESA. She said they could also investigate my living circumstances and do a home visit to be assessed for the IR ESA and the problem is if I send this paperwork of will it affect his benefits as he is very highly strung and could get upset if this impacts on the benefits he is getting. I really not sure what to do for the best. Then if they decide I can have IR ESA what about the eligibility for SDP
    Thanks for listening any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by emedals96 View Post
    Hello I have been today to see the Citizen Advice I feel no further forward. Let me summarize I live with ex partner as we are both named on mortgage. He gets CB ESA and Enhanced Daily Living And Standard Mobility PIP
    I get CB ESA and been awarded PIP standard rate for daily living.
    To be eligible for SDP I have been told I need to apply for IR ESA and then live alone. Then she made a phone call and came back to say you will stay on CB ESA but transfer to IR top up ESA. She said they could also investigate my living circumstances and do a home visit to be assessed for the IR ESA and the problem is if I send this paperwork of will it affect his benefits as he is very highly strung and could get upset if this impacts on the benefits he is getting. I really not sure what to do for the best. Then if they decide I can have IR ESA what about the eligibility for SDP
    Thanks for listening any advice will be greatly appreciated.
    CAB are right as it all hinges on whether they treat you as a couple or as single claimants.

If they treat you as a couple then you could do a joint claim for income based ESA (if you meet the income/savings criteria) and get the SDP as a couple since you both are eligible. (There are exceptions to the living alone criteria where the other person is receiving the qualifying benefit)

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/sev...bility-premium

If they treat you as two single claimants then you would both need to change to income based ESA (again you would need to meet the income/savings criteria) as single claimants if you wanted to get the SDP each.

As regards whether you are treated as single or couple claimants they are likely to investigate your living arrangements.
    Do you live totally separate lives? Sharing a bedroom or not is not enough evidence. if you eat together/do washing together/shop together/share bills then they are likely to view you as a couple.

You could try putting your details into the benefit calculator on www.entitledto.co.uk to see what your entitlements might be.

Hello thank you for your reply I was hoping to be treated as a single person so I only want to be considered for the IR ESA and SDP changeover and not him, as I said he gets panicked very easily and I don't want to pursue this if it's going to affect his benefits etc. I wonder if anyone can clarify that with the living alone criteria for SDP for the purpose of benefit if the person you live with currently receives a disability benefit then this should still make you eligible for SDP
    Thank you again.
    Last edited by emedals96; 10-04-15 at 18:26.

It sounds like you need to have in place a clear plan of showing that you are not living together as a couple. This would mean showing that there are no joint finances (mortgage aside). Make sure you both agree a contribution to bills, and buy separate food. Basically you must appear like a lodger.

As soon as possible it may be best if one of you move out. You shouldn't fear upsetting someone your living with.

If your both in receipt of care pip you could claim carers allowance for each other rather than the sdp which by sound of it you wouldn't qualli

Quote Originally Posted by Emilysmith82 View Post
    If your both in receipt of care pip you could claim carers allowance for each other rather than the sdp which by sound of it you wouldn't qualli
    Hello thanks for that it would seem we would not be eligible for that either as we are on CB ESA so back to the drawing board. I just thought of three was any way I could increase my benefit I would not bother pursing a PIP appeal for an extra 27 pounds a week when these suggested entitlements are more. I wish now the lady at welfare rights had not told me any of this because I don't know what to do and I only have just over a week to put appeal paperwork through. I must admit to anyone reading this I have had two appts with the Citizen Advice and I was very disappointed with the quality and level of advice I got. Anyway well see what happens. Have a good weekend. Emily

Quote Originally Posted by Emilysmith82 View Post
    Cant do this as both on ESA CB which is an overlapping benefit