Thread: Insurance Requirements

Insurance Requirements

This could be interesting, and a little costly

"Wheelchair users and gardeners are the target of a confusing – and potentially costly – European judgment, warn insurance and legal experts"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...s-says-EU.html
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Interesting. I don't do the gardening now as it's an accident waiting to happen.

An elderly gent I've heard about decided to prune his own tree to save money despite having his able bodied son live with him. And you've guessed it - he fel off the ladder and broke his hip joint in half - ouch!

I think wheelchair users should insure themselves because if you accidentally touch someone with it they are likely to sue you.

They can also cost a lot of money - my hybrid wheelchair will cost as much as a small car when I get it. And if stolen I wouldn't be able to replace it unless an insurance policy covered it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Interesting. I don't do the gardening now as it's an accident waiting to happen.

An elderly gent I've heard about decided to prune his own tree to save money despite having his able bodied son live with him. And you've guessed it - he fel off the ladder and broke his hip joint in half - ouch!

I think wheelchair users should insure themselves because if you accidentally touch someone with it they are likely to sue you.

They can also cost a lot of money - my hybrid wheelchair will cost as much as a small car when I get it. And if stolen I wouldn't be able to replace it unless an insurance policy covered it.
    I have my powerchair insured, as you say they cost a significant sum. Pity we now have a culture where legal action has become the nom, do we not have honest accidents anymore?

Anyway, interesting to see how this plays out and whether insurance becomes mandatory.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

I have my scooter insured as part of my contents insurance, "goods away from home" and 3rd party insurance under "legal protection" Not all home insurance companies will cover a scooter so you have to be careful and ask specific questions before you take it out.
    Much cheaper than taking out stand alone insurance for the scooter only.

Your dealer should be able to recommend suitable insurance for wheelchair and it just makes sense for somat that cost £££££'s to be insured! Esp if its going on taxi, train and plane.
    As for the Telegraph article.....who the heck's got a mower like that?? you'd need a few acres for that to be practical.
    And if you can afford a few acres..............
    Wheelchair insurance LT is more about the crappy roads & pavements - oh yeah even in Manchester. But it doesn't cover wear and tear. As I found out.
    And there is no reason to touch someone if you are driving responsibly. That said if folks are about to walk into me, I SHOUT!!!!!

There is a company who will insure your scooter for all the risks plus breakdown recovery and all repairs but it is very expensive. I can't think who they are at the moment but if I remember I will post it here.

It is http://premiercare.info/about-us/

This is what you need to cover repairs http://premiercare.info/mobility-scooter-cover/
    Last edited by beau; 14-04-15 at 07:37.

Thats the guys I'm insured with. They have been top notch so far.