Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessible railway stations

Accessible railway stations

Here are the latest design standards 'code of practice' for Railway Stations valid from 20 March 2015

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...e-stations.pdf

254 pages!! i've decided you must EITHER have too much time on your hands OR a serious internet addiction. to keep posting VAST documents for us to read! If you want to know about a specific railway station....just go to http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/statio...s/default.aspx
    you can search the station and find out if the entrance, access to platforms etc is wheelie friendly.
    For instance to visit my mom (just been moved to nursing home) we have to change at Sandwell and Dudley, which entails a subway and lift with doors on 3 sides.....now thats an experience!
    Not to mention some smaller stations are unmanned on Saturdays. But this info IS available online

I belong to an access group that is sometimes consulted on stuff to comment on.

Thought some people might be interested.

I once knew a guy that had access problems in some stations, although it wasnt recognised as a disability. His problem was that he was taller than the tunnels that lead to the platforms. one long tunnel was 6ft 9in. He was 6ft 10in. the tunnel was quite long aswell.

Our local station has finally had funding to make it accessible. It will take time to complete but I am very much looking forward to in being finished.
    At the moment it is one of the most unaccessible I have come across. No lift, a bridge walkway to platforms, ( minimum of 40 stairs) and most of the time unmannned so no help available.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

That's good Babyblu.

Like you, my local railway station wasn't fully accessible but late last year both the railway station, bus station and taxi rank had a major refurbishment and it's now totally accessible - it's only taken 20 plus years to refurbish!

Ours is getting done mainly due to a lot of campaigning, funding applications etc by a local MP and her group of volunteers. They have done so much to get funding, donations etc and we are really proud of them and what they have achieved for the local community.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I've experience many during my travels up & down n round the country. I even took part in a RICA survey @ assisted travel. Worst one was a small station in Leicestershire. Bletchley, i believe. Booked assistance, travelled early cuz it was only manned till 1pm.....arrived with wheelchair and luggage...no one appears. i could SEE the ramp, locked up against the wall! Some kind gent lifted it off for me in the end.
    Fuming, i goes up to the ticket office, shows the woman the email of booked assistance and got a huffy reply...Not Going There Again!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    That's good Babyblu.

Like you, my local railway station wasn't fully accessible but late last year both the railway station, bus station and taxi rank had a major refurbishment and it's now totally accessible - it's only taken 20 plus years to refurbish!
    Our local station has step free street access from both platforms, however to get from platform 1 to platform 2 you need to use a foot bridge or go onto the street and travel in total about 600 yards down a hill, past some shops and back up a gravel footpath. The station is unmanned and the only ticket machine is on platform 1.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1234 View Post
    Our local station has step free street access from both platforms, however to get from platform 1 to platform 2 you need to use a foot bridge or go onto the street and travel in total about 600 yards down a hill, past some shops and back up a gravel footpath. The station is unmanned and the only ticket machine is on platform 1.
    Its actually well over half a mile as we drove from one car park to the other. As a lightly used station I suspect that it will remain. Perhaps a second ticket machine. Worthwhile going as the local pub have changed their garden parasols so picked up 3 for a local animal rescue to shelter small animals from the sun.