Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Election

Without expressing any political view I have to say this is the most boring and lacklustre election campaign I can remember and I can remember as far back as the 1970's. Most of the politicians are robotic, 99% of their appearances are stage managed and rather than coming across as sincere they come across as looking like they want to be sincere.
    I don't know what the outcome will be on May 7th but I will predict it will not be as the polls are predicting now. I think there will be massive tactical voting and the next Government, another coalition will be fairly clear cut in the early hours of May 8th.
    I have to say that campaigning in my constituency has been virtually non existent, but given its a safe, in fact very safe seat for one party its hardly surprising.
    I hear some parties are privately encouraging their supporters to back another if they have a better chance of stopping "the other" main party and some have selected candidates from way outside the area as a way of encouraging this.
    Here is a fact, Labour and the SNP could have a commons majority on an overall combined vote of just 33% due to the slanted nature of our voting system. UKIP and the Liberals and the Greens could also get a similar combined vote and have just 32MP's.

Totally agree with your observation Paul, its definitely been lackluster. What I heard most of the time is one politician telling me how bad the other person is. Whilst I've come to expect a bit of that I now actually what to know what they would do and how, even if its bad news.

I've known elections where you can't go down the road and not notice various support banners. Hardly any here where I live. It'll be interesting to see the voter turn out.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

It'll be interesting to see the voter turn out.
    I know quite a few people wh say they are not voting because "it makes no difference, they are all the same".

I'm encouraging them to go and spoil their ballot papers (don't leave it blank, just tick every box).

That way it gets recorded as someone who voted, and chose no-one, rather than just an apathetic no voter.

OK there are always some papers spoiled by mistake, but imagine if 20 or 30 percent were spoiled.
    They couldn't claim that was a mistake, and couldn't claim people didn't turn up.

Another way would be to write 'none of the above' across your paper - remember the film Brewsters Millions?
    Some countries even include it on their standard ballot papers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_of_the_above
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I know quite a few people wh say they are not voting because "it makes no difference, they are all the same".

I'm encouraging them to go and spoil their ballot papers (don't leave it blank, just tick every box).

That way it gets recorded as someone who voted, and chose no-one, rather than just an apathetic no voter.

OK there are always some papers spoiled by mistake, but imagine if 20 or 30 percent were spoiled.
    They couldn't claim that was a mistake, and couldn't claim people didn't turn up.

Another way would be to write 'none of the above' across your paper - remember the film Brewsters Millions?
    Some countries even include it on their standard ballot papers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_of_the_above
    And if you were to do this then how would it improve your own precarious position/predicament as a claimant claiming sickness benefits - ESA according to your previous posts on here, I believe. I simply do not understand your attitude to voting at all - God help us if more people adopted your idea - turn out is already historically low for General Elections. I really don't mind who people vote for, Tory, Labour or whoever, although I have a preference. What I can't stand is people wasting their vote by not voting and then coming on forums like this and repeatedly complaining about government policies like the Work Programme by creating a blog about it for all and sundry to view and comment on. I will be very surprised if this comment is shown.

Buster

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    I find the people who moan about the government - when asked "did you vote at the last election" - no what's the point etc.

If they 'had' voted at least there was an opportunity for their vote. Almost like saying I have a headache, have you taken a painkiller - No. Then don't moan about the headache.

Regardless of who I've voted for in the past or going to vote for, I know I actually cast my vote - regardless of the outcome.

Agree about the spoil the papers as you say if there were 20/30% - they can't claim it was a mistake.

Though I wish they would do what some other countries do - you HAVE to vote and have a valid reason why you didn't vote on the day eg ended up in hospital, was giving birth, out of the country - an emergency etc...

I was seriously impressed for the Scottish Independence, the turn out of voters was fantastic.

I fail to understand some people that vote for such a nasty party that quite frankly has knocked back years of what disabled fought for such as the ilf and cuts in benefits which if the tories have there way will be 12 billion which it has been said the sick and disabled have never seen in there lifes.
    Look of what this gov has done over five years increased the debt which the city caused and while at it has stopped any new claiments to have independent living fund, introduced a new harder to claim disability allowence pip which has caused many to lose there jobs with there motability car taken away some like a lady i know who is very ill with a hole in her heart that was in tears when it was taken off her.
    On top of that the unfair social housing bedroom tax which has caused major hardship for many and also many even working people having to go to food banks.
    The 20% rise in vat which also affects some foods which happened after the tories got elected and to cap it another benefits integr project to snoop on all claiments while the rich in society are left alone its one law for them and one for us all.
    So the the sixth richist country in the world who do tories go for the most vunerable in society which they know are easy to hit and with backing from the tory press and like ids think its funny to bash disabled.
    The most crime in this country and loss is in tax evadence not people on welfare so remember its important to bring politics up when it affects so many in this country.

vikstar
    I'll just post this link, http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/new...port-the-enemy

It saves me rabbiting on !

Hi Buster;
    What I can't stand is people wasting their vote by not voting and then coming on forums like this and repeatedly complaining about government policies like the Work Programme by creating a blog about it for all and sundry to view and comment on.
    I think you are reading me a bit wrong there.

I will be voting and will not be spoiling my papers.
    (We are voting in 3 in this area, the nationals, an first elected mayor, and the election of councilors).

Just because I, usually, choose not to get involved in political arguments on forums does not mean I do not get involved in politics.

If you check one of my other threads you will see that I recently had my name on the bottom of a government Works and Pensions Select Committee report (as an enquiry witness). Is that getting involved enough?

turn out is already historically low for General Elections.
    I think that was my point to these apathetic non-voters - don't sit on your backside, do nothing and then moan; get out and vote for something, even if that turns out to be nothing.

OK, spoiled papers are not ideal but at least they get recorded as a voter who turned out.
    Someone sat at home doesn't get recorded as anything.
    Oh, and just maybe once they get to the polling station they may decide to vote after all.

Believe it or not I have spoken to 30+ year olds who have never been to a polling station because they are not sure what goes on there; if you know someone like that then why not offer to take them and show them the ropes.
    Last edited by nukecad; 29-04-15 at 15:51.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I am starting to worry that I wont even get the chance to vote.
    I have a postal vote and placed all the bits I needed just inside the envelope on my coffee table (I have papers everywhere, my house is very untidy, just bordering on hoarder disorder.
    Pretty sure I remember my teenage son looking at at and starting a long political conversation
    He remembers the conversation but not handling the papers
    We bot have short term memory problems :/
    Any way , two days later I was ready to get around to that particular piece of paperwork but my ballot paper was missing
    cue two days making more mess looking for said paper
    gave up and rang helpline who said I must return my pack and they will send a new one
    took me till the following day to be able to write a short covering note and pop pack in large evelope
    has stamps in house but not for large envelopes,
    was not well enough that day to leave house
    finally posted the following day(saturday)
    anyway, am waiting for new pack, which of couse when it arrives I have very little time left to get it back to them
    wish I hadnt requested postal vote

Quote Originally Posted by paul1234 View Post
    Without expressing any political view I have to say this is the most boring and lacklustre election campaign I can remember and I can remember as far back as the 1970's. Most of the politicians are robotic, 99% of their appearances are stage managed and rather than coming across as sincere they come across as looking like they want to be sincere.
    I don't know what the outcome will be on May 7th but I will predict it will not be as the polls are predicting now. I think there will be massive tactical voting and the next Government, another coalition will be fairly clear cut in the early hours of May 8th.
    I have to say that campaigning in my constituency has been virtually non existent, but given its a safe, in fact very safe seat for one party its hardly surprising.
    I hear some parties are privately encouraging their supporters to back another if they have a better chance of stopping "the other" main party and some have selected candidates from way outside the area as a way of encouraging this.
    Here is a fact, Labour and the SNP could have a commons majority on an overall combined vote of just 33% due to the slanted nature of our voting system. UKIP and the Liberals and the Greens could also get a similar combined vote and have just 32MP's.
    I tell you what would be "boring and lacklustre" Paul disabled peoples' lives if they were forced to sit at home whilst living on fresh air and food bank handouts - if the Conservatives were to actually win the general election. This is what we should be concerned with.

Buster