Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need help with my garden

I re-read your post and see you want to make it SAFE. If your talking fences and walls, as a homeowner you would be liable for that.
    you could plant sturdy hedges to deter people tho.

1. Insurers will be clear about what’s included in your insurance, but you might have to search through the small print to find out if your garden’s covered.

2. Keep your fences in a good state and make a habit of keeping gates locked and bolted. Something as simple as this can deter opportunistic thieves

3. Keep your shed locked with a solid padlock – a combination lock is a good option if you’re worried about losing the key.

4. Lock up tools, bikes and any other valuables rather than leaving them in your garden – because they probably won’t be insured if they’re left out overnight.

5. Not all insurers include damage to garden walls, gates or fences, so it’s worth checking that they’re covered in your buildings insurance.

6. Installing a security light is a good way of putting off thieves at night or during the dark winter evenings.

7. Don’t forget to add pricey garden items to your contents insurance, making sure that you declare any items that are higher than your policy’s single item limit. It’s also a good idea to keep your receipts in case you ever need them for insurance claims.

8. If you’re lucky enough to have a garden crammed with expensive stuff, it might be worth looking at a ‘high net worth’ home insurance policy.

9. And if you have a hot tub, jacuzzi or swimming pool, they don’t tend to be included automatically, so tell your insurer!

10. Finally, it’s worth finding out when your garden might NOT be covered – most insurers won’t cover you for loss or damage when your home is empty.

interesting!
    I have recently moved and my garden goes down a very steep slope
    I am in the process of levelling it
    phase one done,we got a relative to build a patio,materials cost £100 but relative did labour for £30 plus a roast dinner!
    phase two,same relative is coming in November to make a step down followed by a lawn,,,will cost me,,the price of the lawn+£30 +a roast dinner!
    final phase he doesnt want to do,will have to get someone else in,but I think my eldest son can do it
    If eldest son does it then labour will be free,will just need to feed him whilst he is here,and possibly send him home with some beers
    materials however will be expensive as I plan a second step and then some decking,which will be on stilts to bring it up
    cannot use garden at present (exept the new patio) as I fall down

I am waiting for an OT visit,with regard to a shower,think I might show her the garden when she gets here and tell her that I fell down it
    A visitor fell down it too,and he is young and fit,,,,,it really is ridiculously steep!

Just bumping this as a reminder to myself as I have to go out to an appt and dont have time now, but I plan to follow those two links later to see if I can get any help levelling this garden.
    Oh,just remembered,there was a man on here a couple of weeks ago asking about similar for his mum who had just moved into a bungalow.
    How come no-one gave these links to him?
    Can some-one clever marry up the two posts??

If you need hard landscaping, such as fencing etc its going to cost. Prickly plants (do your research) may be an option but any hedges are going need to be maintained (and everythings been growing like crazy in the warm wet weather)

Also try Streetlife.com there MAY be people who can help you with planting/maintainance at a lower cost, if you explain your situation .. Be safe

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingKidney View Post
    I
    Also try Streetlife.com there MAY be people who can help you with planting/maintainance at a lower cost, if you explain your situation .. Be safe
    I use Streetlife a lot. It's a bit like leaning on the garden fence chatting to your neighbours. I use it to offer advice, source recommended workers and for giving stuff away to worthwhile causes.

I gave away a 24 inch Apple Imac to a local arts group who had their laptop stolen. They use it to update their website and social media, edit photos, design flyers on it and show creative movies they've made using the software I left on it.

It brings the community together within our Postcode.

No much idea. Will search and get to you.

Your not gooing to get free help for gardens. washing dressing eating - thats recognised as a NEED. But you don't NEED to go in the garden, now do you? As I've said before they help you shower but you can be surronded by 6 ft weeds and that ain't relevant!!

So low cost help? Try Streetlife, Facebook, save the pennies and get it done in stages. I had a pile of rocks - unsightly and not safe for 10 years till i bit the bullet, paid £400 and got it levelled, gravelled and now have a little patio. Which as I can't stand for long, is great.
    If its levelling a huge bit of land, well that is going to cost cuz diggers might be involved and carting the stuff away.

I had to have a digger in when I had my garden landscaped and over 100 tons of soil taken away. The cost was horrendous but at least now I have a garden I can access and a patio I can sit on.