Thread: Wheelchair accessible kitchens

Wheelchair accessible kitchens

I was chatting with some friends yesterday who attended the same meeting about access issues.

I was amazed to find that some wheelchair users were getting ripped of by kitchen companies who had to make bespoke kitchen units and charged a fortune.

Here's a secret. Just about any decent kitchen supplier will use a company called 'Howdens' as they deal with the trade not the public.

Howdens supply all flat pack kitchens to B&Q. But Howdens supply the same kitchens, under different names to the trade.

So what are the benefits of using Howdens

- they supply all cabinets ready made for no extra
    - cabinets are cheaper than B&Q but quality made
    - there's a delivery service at a time that suits you
    - if your fitter damages a cabinet or something is the wrong size they can be exchanged the same day or just get a refund

The downside would be that you need a trading account. I was able to use my cousin's account and paid on plastic.

They also make accessible kitchens for wheelchair users but at very competitive prices.

https://www.howdens.com/kitchen-coll...sive-kitchens/
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 01-04-15 at 11:49.

There are loads of companies out there. But when i see the (very swish) pix, they all have kitchens bigger than my house!! what happens when you have one wheelchair user and one able bodied in the same house? Lowering worksurfaces gives the latter back ache.
    Personally i can't use really high shelves or really low ones. would a higher oven be better? Yes but way more expensive.
    Ceramic valve taps, now i'd give my eye teeth for those right now, having trouble with hands and wrists.

If you check out the video on their website it'll show you that the work surfaces can be raised or lowered at the touch of a button.

Taps - sounds like you need 'lever action taps' - wouldn't cost the earth/

A wheelchair user I know in her 50s is just moving into Sheltered Accommodation and the Council are putting in a wheelchair friendly kitchen plus wheel-in shower all for free! How does she do it!

Sadly sheltered accom round here is for over 60 or 65 (not me). Extra care over 50's (yay) but they wouldn't take the b/friend whos 20 yrs younger than me. Ah yes, but in rented house "fixtures & fittings" taps, plugs, bathrooms are responsiblity of landlord........

Personally I wouldn't go near B&Q, or places like Homebase for fitted units.

Rather look for a trade based shop such as Wickes, or shop around as much as you feasibly can.

Wickes as far as I know is supplied by Travis Perkins, and Gower for kitchens.

As a son of a tradesman I'd go to a merchant rather than a retail outlet by choice and experience!

It's far better buying a kitchen through trade distributors because

- they also have CAD kitchen design staff on-site
    - the units are ready made and in stock
    - it's cheaper
    - they'll deliver to a time and day you want
    - no hassle if you order a wrong part - they'll exchange and deliver the same day for free

If you order a wrong part or miss off a part in error at B&Q you might have to wait a week for delivery - not goodif you are employing busy booked up trades people!

The flying kidney just wants an excuse to visit the HUGE wickes store in Telford....next time, dear, next time...