Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Controlling Neuropathic Pain

Well actually LT you wouldn't be a zombie and not everyone has side effects. It is , I'm sure you have the read the copious notes, an anti-convulsant that has proved effective in treating neuropathic pain.
    i have been put on it for neural parathesia in my right hand/arm. Stated on 100mg (didn't do shit) then after consulting with MS nurse upped it to 200mg in morning and 100mg in evening. 300mg is quite a LOW dose apparently.
    So I would advise you DO AS THE DR ORDERED and stick to prescribed dose!
    It dulls my pain down , but I still can't feel my fingertips.
    It does not work my numbing your BRAIN.....cocodamol does that!
    And sometimes you can't get rid of the pain, just pass the damn painkilllers.........

I agree with RD. I was told that any drug has to get into your system and to be affective has to be kept there by taking it regularly, not as and when you decide to take it.
    Not everybody gets side affects so it is worth taking it as prescribed. At any signs of any side affects stop taking it and go back to the doctors. There are alternatives out there. You have to keep at it until you find something that suits and works.

I am not a zombie! I take at least 1800mg per day and I do think it makes me a little bit slow and dozey but not enough to stop me driving or to prevent me from working. Not everyone gets side effects. I, too, would prefer to not have to take medication but I'd also prefer to be able to actually move! I started off taking 1 100mg capsule. After a couple of days I increased that to 2 100mg capsules per day and then to 3 (1 taken 3 times a day). I then increased to 200 mg 3 times a day and then to 300mg a day. I did it all very slowly in case of side effects but I don't get much - just a bit more fatigue. My GP has said I can take up to 900mg each dose but the risk of side effects increases at that strength. so I stick to 600mg 3 times a day and take an extra 300mg capsule if I am having a bad day.

I have been taking it since 2007 along with Tramadol for severe back pain and sciatica

it has controlled my sciatica very well. I now take half my prescribed dose as I find that's enough , if sciatica gets really bad will up the dose. I still have to take full dose of Tramadol.

its well worth trying for nerve pain, makes the rest bearable

Thanks for sharing Linda. I think you are brave taking Tramadol - just googled it's side effects - be careful!

The b/friend takes Tramadol when in extreme pain and as a last resort. Does seem to send him away with the fairies...(more than usual). But no braincells have been harmed in the making of this programme..........
    Last edited by reddivine; 06-04-15 at 08:28.

I have tried most mentioned here, I have been using Fentanyl patched since 2008 and they dull some of the pain but I now have neuropathic pain which i take Amitriptyline 50 mg for. consultant at pain clinic wants to try PENS on me, has anyone heard or tried it?

PENS- Percutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation
    It's similar to a TENS machine but the electrodes are inserted under the skin - https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ipg450

If you get the chance to speak to a consultant, ask about RF Nerve Ablation - it worked for me and has reduced my secondary (sciatic like) pain by 90%. The original pain is still there, but at least now I can drive and work! http://www.bupa.co.uk/jahia/webdav/s...enervation.pdf

My current meds would scare most other people, especially as I drive and work full-time! I'm taking Fentanyl patches, Tramadol for breakthrough pain, Naproxen, Paracetamol and more recently Propranolol for chronic migraine. << That isn't a complete list either!

I have taken Gabapentin and Amitriptyline in the past but with no success, or side effects.

<sorry about the spelling, haven't slept for a few nights>
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Hello Lighttouch
    I started Gabapentin (as part of pain management programme) with Week 1 100mg x 1 a day, Week 2 100mg x 2 a day then from week 3 100mg x 3 a day. Whilst it did take away some pain (spondolsis of neck and bursitis of shoulder) not all, it didn't fully take away other pain.

I was on it a couple of months before noticing side effects, mine were severe loss of memory - ie picking something up and then thinking why have I pciked this up, going into a room and thinking why am I here etc and keep asking my partner 'did I just ??? do this or that. Which gradually got worse.

I also experienced severe out of body experiences - like I was standing next to my body - on these experiences I did not feel anything at all no pain nothing. I had the most vivid nightmares with out of body experiences.

The worst for me was that I experienced wetting myself on many occasions with no warning (which up until these drugs some conrol - I could normally get to the toilet as I had a warning of the need to urinate).

Also the need to sleep during the day was more than normal - maybe because of the disturbed night sleep or the drug I am not sure.

Anyway the long and short of it all the GP took me off and again doubled my dose of Pregablin - which for me is not perfect but relieves some pain. It took around 2 weeks for the side effects to subside.

On sayying that my best friend has advanced stages of MS and swears by this drug. So in my humble opinion it is worth trial and error with it to see if you are a lucky one that it works with no side effects.

I also use a TENS machine and a Nova Wave machine which help at times but not at others. Sometimes its a bed full of hot water bottles that helps as a relaxant for me.

Good luck and hope experimentation helps your pain somewhat.

(Afterthought - have you tried Acupuncture - I sometimes use this and it does help and some GPs refer for alternative therapies - I have to pay as mine doesn't.

PB

I take Pregabalin for neuropathic pain. It is similar to gabapentin but with less side affects. I have got on really well with it. I also have a scary list of meds, considering i drive a d work full time!! Naproxen, Zapain, Oramorph for breakthrough pain and fentynol patches. Im going to have some experimental treatment this month with aenesthetic! Im v looking forward to it!! I would recommend Pregabalin. It took 6 weeks ish for side affects to calm down, the relief I get is life changing.