Thread: Failed esa medical and forced to claim job seekers allowance

Failed esa medical and forced to claim job seekers allowance

I have been claiming ESA for the past few months. I have Migraine vertigo as well as anxiety. Because I have vertigo, most days I am so dizzy and physically sick, my speech is usually slurred and my eyesight goes very blurry and I have bad headaches, and I can't even get out of bed never mind anything else. And because of this, I suffer anxiety and take severe panic attacks just at the thought of having to go out for long periods of time. Anyways, I had to attend the medical, although I practically had to get carried in as I had completely lost my balance and couldn't walk. Anyways, I failed the medical and I have been to citizens advice and job centre and I've been told that they don't pay ESA while waiting on an appeal anymore. So i'm now being forced to claim Job Seekers Allowance until my appeal, and I have to go to a work focused interview this Tuesday.

Can anyone advise me on what the job centre will expect from me? Will I be forced to look for jobs, like everyone else on job seekers allowance or will they make exceptions for me? I am so stressed out which is making me so unwell. I just don't know how i'm going to cope if I have to claim Job seekers allowance for a few months, and I'm worried incase I get offered a job because I'll be expected to take it, although I can't.

Thank you so much if you read this, and thank you to anyone who answers

Hi Hayes.
    Sorry to hear about your condition. Sadly I am not in a position to answer any of your questions but you are in the right place. There are many people on here who know the "ins and outs" regarding ESA.

I would however like to ask a question as I thought all ESA reassessments were on hold until the backlog of new applications had been processed. Could I ask what area in the UK you are from?

Good luck, I'm sure someone will come along soon to give you the advice you require.
    Kind regards Nina

you need to let the jcp know when you attend that you are appealing the decision and you require reasonable adjustments to your job seeking activity's due to your illness/disability.

I am using my phone so cant type properly.

I answered a simalar question about JSA whilst waiting for appeal a few days ago.
    Take a look at this link

http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...ssessment-rate
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

i felt upset reading your post. i really feel for you and im so sorry you have to deal with this. i dont know if this is possible or allowed but cant you go back on esa if your doctor gives you a fit note. 3 years ago i failed an esa medical. My doctor was furious and gave me a 6 month medical certificate to take to the job centre that day and i was put back on esa.
    i do know that a lot has changed in 3 years. (i only heard the term 'fit note' today). Maybe its no longer possible for doctors to intervene like mine did. just thought i would share this in case its still possible. xx

There has to be a 6 month gap after the failed medical to be able to claim ESA again.

There has to be a 6 month gap after the failed medical to be able to claim ESA again.
    Not quite true.

After you have accepted the fit for work decision after initial assessment, MR, or tribunal. then you cannot claim any ESA benefit for six months.
    You can reclaim at anytime but will not get any monies (i.e. ESA assessment rate) for six months after a failed claim.

The government is also looking to put a limit on the total number of times you can reclaim but this is not in force yet.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Its already changed, only new or deteriorated condition and not always then