Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Read any good books lately?

Read any good books lately?

I thought I'd start a thread about something that I love doing.

Reading.

I've always loved reading. It's a major part of my life and something that gives me a lot of happiness.

I primarily like reading crime novels (especially old Golden Age Detective novels) but I will read pretty much any kind of fiction. Second-hand book shops I could spend all day in.

So what are people reading at the moment?

I'm just in the middle of reading the sixth novel in the Poldark series. 'The Four Swans'

Any other readers here?
    Last edited by rich-ward; 24-03-15 at 22:30. Reason: Removed an unnecessary comment

my wife reads between two to five books every week, usually thrillers, it got to the stage that she had run out of choices in our local charity shops, and when you read as many books as her, buying new was not an option. so last year she invested in a kindle which is a godsend, if you go on amazon website many books are free to download, even some of the latest novels can cost as little as a couple of pounds. her favorite author is dean koontz .

I've just read for the second time 'To The Ends Of The Earth' by David Yallop. Its nonfiction. I have read most of his books, he is a supreme investigative journalist.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

My kinda thread
    I read a lot too. Only very recently discovered Poldark novels, and enjoyed the first couple.

I'm currently reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Society", a very gentle lovely story told through a series of letters. It won't be to everyone's taste, but I'm enjoying it.

I'm another Kindle fan, didn't expect to be until I was given one as a gift.

I'm a member of a bookclub, I'd recommend this. I like reading things I wouldn't have necessarily chosen myself.
    Last edited by Fliss; 24-03-15 at 22:02.

My favourite authors are James Herbert, Frank Herbert, Deen Koontz, Stephen King, then onto Virginia Andrews - most recent - Lee Child's 'Never Go Back'.

I go through phrases and sometimes read book after book, then have a break for a few months.

I think my love of books comes from being deaf when I was a child (can hear now) and it was my way to escape and explore without finger pointing and sniggering when I couldn't join in games.

I've just started The Sorcerers Ring series by Morgan Rice and have just finished Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy.

The Sorcerers Ring appears to have at least 16 books in the series so that will keep be busy for a while!

I'm currently reading "The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Society", a very gentle lovely story told through a series of letters. It won't be to everyone's taste, but I'm enjoying it.
    I read that a few years ago on recommendation and really enjoyed it.

I'm currently re-reading Jamaica In by Daphne du maurier.

grr cat walked acros keyboard and has done something - something about filter keys? cant type properly

I read a lot. Only on the kindle now, as cannot hold a book open for long. Sci fi and fantasy with a small dose of crime, thriller, mystery and erotica. Not ALTOGETHER obviously.
    The search for "what can I get for less than a quid", has led me to try a lot of new writers, unknown to me. My son has a kindle too and his tastes are similar so we also cross borrow from time to time.

I am lost without a book.

I love "escaping" into another world.

My favourite reads are historical fiction, (especially about royalty/famous people), historical whodunnits, I also read a lot of non fiction, mostly history and biographies.

At the moment I have 2 books on the go, one is about the Wars of the Roses, the other is called Heresy, a historical whodunnit.

I am a huge fan of Phillippa Gregory, particularly the "Cousins War" series of books. Edward Rutherford, P C Doherty, Alison Weir are some others that I like.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Jamaica Inn is a great book. The King's General also by Daphne DuMaurier is another one I'd recommend.