Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solar Eclipse on Friday 20 March - 9.32 am

Solar Eclipse on Friday 20 March - 9.32 am

Things are going to get decidedly dark on Friday morning.

The solar eclipse will start at 8.45 am and be at it's best at 9.32 am. In a nutshell the moon will move in front of the sun. And at its best will be seen as a black moon with a glowing rim of the sun behind for a minute at most.

Don't view it directly - http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...nce-sun-space/

Thanks for the link LT.

I have the eclipse marked on my calendar already, but it was handy to read all the safety info. I think I might try the "pinhole" method as it is something I can make at home.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

I remember seeing it some years ago - fantastic

The last total eclipse was 11th August 1999, my 50th birthday. Will never forget that one. I was at work at the time and had to switch all the lab lights on to see what I was doing.

Quote Originally Posted by beau View Post
    The last total eclipse was 11th August 1999, my 50th birthday. Will never forget that one. I was at work at the time and had to switch all the lab lights on to see what I was doing.
    Beau I remember that one, I took the day off and my son and I went off to a forest - we'd heard all the rustle and sound of birds stop at the main part of the eclipse - to be fair it went very quiet no tweeting etc and a moment in history to remember and treasure - sharing it with my son.

Sounds spooky Amy when the wildlife goes quiet!

So the solar eclipse begins at 8.45 am and will be at its peak come 9.32 am when 90% of the sun will be blocked out.

If you don't get to experience what's happening due to cloud either tune in or record BBC1 with Prof. Brian Cox from Cheshire's Jodrell Bank Dish live from 9 am.

http://www.jodrellbank.net/partial-solar-eclipse/

Nice and cloudy here. A lot of people who bought glasses and built cardboard viewers are, unfortunately going to be disappointed

Only a small amounbt of cloud here and clearing all the time. We can see it has started and hoperully by the time it is at its peak, we will get the full show. I have been taking photos every ten minutes or so and hopefully all the photos will show the stages. I made a pinhole projector to watch and take photos safely.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Cloudy here so won't be able to see it but it is going dark now. Due to arrive about 9.30 here.

Well, the birds kept singing and it was more like the sun going behind a cloud. It got darker but more like an overcast day than anything else.