Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housing and the law re rentals

Housing and the law re rentals

Can some legal beagle help here? i've had yet ANOTHER "no DSS" response from estate agent and I fume!! Every time i say "we are disabled couple PLUS one working tenant (my son) and most are ok. I'm sure its illegal to say "no DSS" or "only working tenants", but I would love to quote chapter and verse on this...
    anyone know the relevant laws etc?

I wish it was, but sadly where I live most landlords will no longer accept DSS
    My poor daughter who is a single parent and works part time so pays part of her rent herself and receives top ups was evicted by an unscrupulous landlord in November and was unable to find anywhere.
    She has had to be placed in temp accom by her council but the have put her miles away and the house she is in is overun with mice and has other problems

The main reason for this is the government stopping it being possible for new HB claims to be paid direct to the landlord,the money MUST now go through the tenants hands firts and landlords are worried that they will not get their rent
    I logged on to a landlord forum once and the way they discussed housing ben tenents was quite scathing, saying things like, do not touch them with a barge pole, they will wreck your property, fail to pay their rent and when you have to evict them they will run off with your fixtures and fittings
    Although I am sure there are some like this, it is an unfair generalisation, as plenty of folks look after their homes as best they can, whether they own them, rent them, housing ben or otherwise

So true

Quote Originally Posted by deebee View Post
    The main reason for this is the government stopping it being possible for new HB claims to be paid direct to the landlord,the money MUST now go through the tenants hands firts and landlords are worried that they will not get their rent
    I logged on to a landlord forum once and the way they discussed housing ben tenents was quite scathing, saying things like, do not touch them with a barge pole, they will wreck your property, fail to pay their rent and when you have to evict them they will run off with your fixtures and fittings
    Although I am sure there are some like this, it is an unfair generalisation, as plenty of folks look after their homes as best they can, whether they own them, rent them, housing ben or otherwise
    Quite. If I get the chance i say "Disabled NOT JSA", and tell em i have lived in a rental for 10 years NO PROBLEM...we don't smoke, drink, have pets (all worries for landlords), we would love and tend a garden. We have long term disabilities and are not gonna get better and move! Income is assured cuz we would make somewhere to live a priority. But of course first you have to get the landlords ear to say all that!

Have you got references from previous landlords??
    Obviously those that just wont consider it wont and thats that, but there are a few that say "will consider dss with guarantor and references"
    Dont knoew if you have a guarantor?
    Anyways, your 10 years can help, spose its a bit like a "no claims bonus" lol

As a 'live in' landlord I prefer a none DHSS tenant as I want them to leave the house and give me space.

I have encountered a tenant who was working as a temp then took six weeks off work with a broken foot. He wasn't eligible for sick pay and said he didn't want to claim housing benefit so wouldn't pay any rent.

I think he was claiming HB but didn't want to hand any 'keep' over to me. I gave him four weeks notice knowing that his foot would be out of plaster when it was time to leave. I even took all his stuff to his new digs.

From my point of view I let a room out in order to get extra revenue - its fair exchange. But when you have experiences like above you just don't need the hassle.

Having said that I'm sure you would make an ideal tenant not being a smoker. My Gran let her house out to two tenants when she went abroad to her daughters for six months - she thought the house was in safe hands. They only burnt the house down due to a cigarette burning through the sofa - the tenants from hell!

I only ever rented privately once for a year, when I left my husband
    My landlady offered me a good reference,saying I was the best tenent she had ever had
    the next door neighbour cried when I left and gave me a bottle of wine for a housewarming present for my new home
    I was in a similar position then as my daughter is now (single parent working part time so paying part of the rent myseld and receiving a top up from hb)
    I did however, get my payments made directly to my landlady, I was given a choice and just thought it would be more straight forward that way

I have had the same landlord for 34 years, and he doesn't mind who pays the rent.

It makes my blood boil when some private landlords discriminate against tenants on benefits.
    I can understand that some tenants may cause problems, but you cannot tar them all with the same brush. There are plenty of tenants who are working who cause problems also.
    The other side of the coin are landlords who rent out sub standard properties and have no intention of spending any money to bring the property up to standard.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblu64 View Post
    It makes my blood boil when some private landlords discriminate against tenants on benefits.
    I can understand that some tenants may cause problems, but you cannot tar them all with the same brush. There are plenty of tenants who are working who cause problems also.
    The other side of the coin are landlords who rent out sub standard properties and have no intention of spending any money to bring the property up to standard.
    It their property, no one can tell another what to do with their property. If you said to me today, that I intend to burn ?50 notes as a torch, I would say it is a waste but your money to do as you wish. The same for a landlord, he/she can rent to whomever they wish, they can refuse to rent if, for example, they didn't like that you wore a red shirt for a viewing!

Someone who works tends to show that they are responsible but someone on benefits, the general feeling is that they are lazy. that is why landlords tend to favour working people to rent to.