Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Segways for people with difficulties walking well

Segways for people with difficulties walking well

Hello
    I am new here and have read around a bit.
    Earlier in life I raced motorcycles for a living and had a crash pulverising my L2-L3 putting me in wheelchair for 7 years before I got up,m first standing and then walking a little bit with a stick.
    I got the idea of a Segway but I thought it would be an impossible thing for me to use, how wrong I was!

It has changed my life so much. Ofc, we are all disabeled in different ways but old people and those who have a tough time walking can often benefit so much from being able to get around upright.

I made a small video from a tour this summer describing it from my perspective.
    The mic got out in the wind a few times but most I wanted to say is easy to hear I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RebkPJdyMwc

notnamedbill
    I've done a bit of research on these and the converted sit down model looks awsome at about 5K but if your going to get arrested every time you go out its a no brainner. SHAME!

Lovely scenery but NO PICTURE AND NO CLUE WHAT EXACTLY IS A SEGWAY???

Oh, are they illegal for street use where you are notnamedbill?
    I live in Sweden and here they are classified as bicycles. So wherever you can ride those you can ride your segway.
    Plus, ofc, if you use them as handicapped you can go in wherever you want. I can go straight into a subway car and out at another station if I want. Malls, whatever. I rarely do though since I after all can walk 500m or so. But I can, and noone can stop me.

notnamedbill
    Quote Originally Posted by ypvs View Post
    Oh, are they illegal for street use where you are notnamedbill?
    I live in Sweden and here they are classified as bicycles. So wherever you can ride those you can ride your segway.
    Plus, ofc, if you use them as handicapped you can go in wherever you want. I can go straight into a subway car and out at another station if I want. Malls, whatever. I rarely do though since I after all can walk 500m or so. But I can, and noone can stop me.
    In the UK it is illegal to use the on paved areas and their not licenced for use on the road, if you search segways and then the non Segway out of the East you'll find the wheel chair adaption types, I just followed my nose and found them! Like you Ras I fancy the idea of owning one, there's some good u tube clips of them in use. After I found out about the legal stuff I lost interest!!!

Quote Originally Posted by notnamedbill View Post
    In the UK it is illegal to use the on paved areas and their not licenced for use on the road, if you search segways and then the non Segway out of the East you'll find the wheel chair adaption types, I just followed my nose and found them! Like you Ras I fancy the idea of owning one, there's some good u tube clips of them in use. After I found out about the legal stuff I lost interest!!!
    I looked into this before - love the idea as where I live I couldn't park a mobility scooter - it would have to be indoors and can't be done. When I looked into it from what I understood I would have been extremely limited to where I could use it.

I can't stand for long so not bothered

notnamedbill
    But what if you could sit down red?

Search freego wheelchair.
    Last edited by notnamedbill; 09-03-15 at 05:20. Reason: Added search link

Couple of years back in San Francisco Airport the Police were all bombing about on these - they can go at some speed...