Thread: Changing car's early will i get a refund on AP

Changing car's early will i get a refund on AP

I received a letter from motability and they have agreed to allow me to change my car early, In the letter they state the new vehicle must be an automatic, there will be no cancellation fee and that i won't be refunded for any optional extra's i paid for. However it dose not state weather i will be refunded some of my advanced payment which was £2000 at the time and i collected my car on may 2nd 2014. Does anybody know how much i should get back? id like to know as it limits what car's i can now choose.
    Last edited by Mandyboops; 20-02-15 at 15:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandyboops View Post
    I received a letter from motability and they have agreed to allow me to change my car early, In the letter they state the new vehicle must be an automatic, there will be no cancellation fee and that i won't be refunded for any optional extra's i paid for. However it dose not state weather i will be refunded some of my advanced payment which was £2000 at the time and i collected my car on may 2nd 2014. Does anybody know how much i should get back? id like to know as it limits what car's i can now choose.
    No one can tell you on here. You need to phone Motability, to discuss your situation.

They should give you a pro-rata refund on the AP, I had a similar situation with a Qashqai last year, had it for 8 months and changed to a Kuga. Out of the £799 AP I paid I got around £500 back.

So, to work out roughly what you will get back, divide the £2000 by 36 to get a monthly figure (£55.55), multiply that by however many months you have the existing car until you collect the new one and subtract that from the £2000. If say your new car is collected in March that's around 10 months, so £2000 - £555.50 = a refund of £1444.50 This is just a rough calculation as they base it on exact dates using a 2 week period.

Because of the early termination you will also loose the good condition bonus but you will get it for the new car if you keep it for the full 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    They should give you a pro-rata refund on the AP, I had a similar situation with a Qashqai last year, had it for 8 months and changed to a Kuga. Out of the £799 AP I paid I got around £500 back.

So, to work out roughly what you will get back, divide the £2000 by 36 to get a monthly figure (£55.55), multiply that by however many months you have the existing car until you collect the new one and subtract that from the £2000. If say your new car is collected in March that's around 10 months, so £2000 - £555.50 = a refund of £1444.50 This is just a rough calculation as they base it on exact dates using a 2 week period.

Because of the early termination you will also loose the good condition bonus but you will get it for the new car if you keep it for the full 3 years.
    Thank you!

I have sent them an email but was still waiting for a response, Is there any reason why they would not give a refund on the AP?

As far as I know the only thing they will not refund on is adaptations, so if your AP was say £199 plus £1800 worth of adaptations you'd get very little back. You can ring them today as they are there Saturday mornings.

u will get money bac but i believe although not sure it at discretion of motability,,will look this up