Thread: does been in a support group for ESA make any difference when applying for DLA/PIP?

does been in a support group for ESA make any difference when applying for DLA/PIP?

does been in a support group for ESA make any difference when applying for DLA/PIP?

Not necessarily, no. It's a separate benefit and based on how your disbility affects you in the tasks.

hi micky not at all. at the moment i am on esa support group, pip higher rate mobility, standard rate daily living, however if you live alone you could also get extra money with the esa severe disability premium, if you get the higher rate on pip

Hi Bonzo, mistaken I am afraid! The Severe Disability Premium, if you live alone or can be classed as living alone, is payable under both daily living rates, standard and enhanced. Likewise, somebody can claim Carers Allowance if awarded either daily living rates.

The standard and enhanced daily living rates effectively replace Middle Rate and High Rate Care under DLA.

Sorry Nicky, I also forgot to mention for your benefit, that to a degree, being in Support group of ESA can assist in applications for PIP, at least. I say this for the reason that, decision reports compiled from ESA are being used as evidence for PIP and vice versa. This has only recently been mentioned in order to deal with the backlog of both applications, but now appears will be a matter of course, even after and if, the backlogs are dealt with! Not a bad thing in my view.

As noisynoodle points out, they are different benefits with different criteria, however, there are similarities. There is somewhere, a post on the mobility descriptors for ESA, PIP and DLA, and although there being differences, each can assist the other, otherwise in some circumstances this can seem contradictory. I'll try and find the exact post (it may not be on this site!) and return with details.

I would also add, that if you are in the support group, if you completed ESA50 yourself, you at least now have some experience of answering the questions and explaining yourself to such a degree which resulted in your ESA award. Try following the same route you did with ESA, in explaining as fully as able and painting a picture of your circumstances.

Would also advise having a look at Flymos posts (and hopefully someone maybe able to supply a link to the posts I refer). There is 1 that most people applying for PIP are steered towards dealing with this 'painting a picture' aspect of tackling PIP application.