Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DLA and means tested budgeting

It is disgraceful if this is left to each local authority, or actually allowing DLA/PIP to be classed as income in any form of calculation. I certainly know that as far as council tax liability is concerned our LA do not count this as income. I wonder how many actually do, or in the case of CT liability this is not allowed!

I also know it is difficult to find out these finer points of finance as each LA is concerned and it maybe worth a call to your local welfare rights officer to find out exactly your position.

Have you asked for this to be looked at again, Moody? Or planning to appeal this decision?

Moody
    I went into the rent office and pleaded our case. A DHB claim was made online by the representative which was rejected as the care component of DLA gives us £40 per week after allowances so they demanded £5 pw towards the arrears or "further action will be taken".

I'm too ill to fight these people and am already losing sleep over the business. I'm paying the £5 per week. They've made me feel like a scrounging cheat.

thats because it was DHB and not standard HB,, for HB purposes it is not taken into account but for DHP the government offered the following guidelines " you may or you may not wish to take DLA into account but you maight want to consider that such payments may already have been earmeked for those purposes for which they are intended" therefor giving individual boroughs their own discretion as to whether to take it into account.
    They took mine into account and deemed me to have £3.50 over and above what I need,, however if they had not taken it into account they would have found ne to be almost twnty pounds short!

vikstar
    There was a Judicial Review of this on 31/10/14, http://www.irwinmitchell.com/newsand...fit-assessment, still no decision handed down yet.
    Last edited by vikstar; 20-02-15 at 17:12.

glasgowadviser
    You can get housing benefit on two houses in limited circumstances.

Seek advice