Thread: Wetroom installation

Wetroom installation

My landlord (housing association) is converting my bathroom to a wetroom. As well as mobility issues I'm also asthmatic; and my condition is extremely sensitive to many materials such as adhesives, soldering and welding fluxes, thinners, paints, etc, as well as dust. Any of these would trigger an asthma attack.

Initially my housing officer asked if I could stay with family or friends. As a wheelchair user with extremely limited mobility I explained I did not know anyone with an accessible home. I also said I was unable to go on holiday because I needed a PA to travel with me and I could not afford to pay for two people to go away for two to three weeks; and of course the question of work.

On Saturday I received two letters, both written on 13/02/2015. The first explaining that the landlord was seeking ways out of the situation. The second then totally dismissed the first stated that the OT had not pointed to my asthma being a problem therefore the architect was allowing the works to begin.

In the first instance, I'm not sure it is an OT's decision as to whether my condition is safe for me to remain in what I regard as a potential hazard given my respiratory condition. Second I keep suggesting they contact my GP, I'm willing to allow them access to relevant medical documents that show my condition.

I've also informed my housing officer that the Equality Act calls for service providers, such as social landlords, to look into making reasonable adjustments. As far as I can tell no such measures have been taken.

Does anyone have any advice on this issue, please?

UB

Hi Urbanblues

Although i have a different housing association and live up north in Liverpool i have recently had a wetroom fitted, and can honestly say wasn't as disruptive as i thought took 5 full day to complete and i always had a working toilet.

They replaced my bathroom completely, dust was kept to a minimum with doors always closed, they put plastic sheeting on all carpets which was stuck to the floor to prevent tripping etc. They left the window open in bathroom to ventilate whilst working, the worst smell i thought was when they put the grout on the tiles, but even this didn't last long, but then again i dont have asthma!!

When finished they painted the ceiling and door using a low odour paint. I was able to use the wetroom straight away, i can only say that it exceeded all of my expectations of what i thought it was going to look like. The workmen even said if i wanted mirrors/shelves/cabinets etc if i bought them before they were finished they would put them up for me free of charge.

I know we have different disabilities/illnesses, but this is how it was for me. I hope you get it sorted soon.

Just a thought have you contacted social services to ask about respite during the installation of the wet room, even if u cant get the whole time, a couple of days would enable you to be free your asthma symptoms for a while.

Juliex

Thanks for your response, Julie.

The specification for the work states the work must be completed within 10 working days. The contractor, with whom I've spoken, thinks this is on the optimistic side and believes it will take nearer to three working weeks.

Aside from the dangers to my health this would also mean I'd have no means of properly keeping myself clean. Given that I'm prone to bladder accidents; living without the means to properly shower for so long would be intolerable. Going to work or meetings in a state of poor hygiene is not an option.

My bathroom is an internal room. Therefore ventilation is not the best. But even that isn't the point. The point is 10 years ago I had a wetroom put into the flat in which I lived. During the 14 days of installation my health was adversely affected making me very ill for quite a while after the completion of works.

Unless I received respite for the entire period of the works, I'm not willing to chance my health.

UB