Thread: PIP Mental Health Enhanced Mobility Component

PIP Mental Health Enhanced Mobility Component

Hi,

I was wondering if you could please give me some advice regarding PIP.

My dad is an ex soldier and has PTSD, he currently gets DLA lower mobility and higher care, we have been told under DLA it is not possible to get higher rate mobility due to a mental health clause. When he is forced to transfer over to PIP I understand he has more of a chance of getting enhanced rate mobility due to a new category of planning journeys etc. I have looked at "Advice for decision makers" for PIP and it says that for 12 points on planning journeys category, people with mental health will usually not qualify and it is really only for people with learning difficulties.

My dad has been told by police and mental health that he is never allowed to leave the house without either myself or my mum and if he does try to leave the house alone the police have to be informed right away and he will be arrested and taken back to hospital as it is too much of a risk. He is currently on a section 117 aftercare after he was let out on a managers appeal from a section 3. Due to his mental health problems he will only leave the house with my mum, as he is agoraphobic so if he decides to go out alone it shows a considerable decline in his mental health and that he is probably about to go and commit suicide judging by previous behavior, he himself has admitted this and agrees that if he does leave the house alone it means his mental health has declined. He never ever leaves the house without my mum and the only times he has left the house alone in the last 3 years, was to try to kill himself on four separate occasions.

He is at risk of significant harm to himself and is also at risk of physical violence to others if an altercation happens on his journey. We have tons of reports from mental health stating this, and the only reason he was let out of hospital was that he return home to myself and my mum and is under my mums supervision 24 hours a day. By rights I believe this qualifies him for enhanced rate mobility component of PIP, is this correct? He cannot plan or follow a familiar journey without another person, even when he is at his most well. Looking at forums it seems people are eligible to 12 points but only being given 10 points and standard rate mobility despite being eligible for enhanced rate.

My dad also has a Morton's neuroma and he has to have special orthopedic shoes made for him by the NHS that are molded to this neuroma and has diabetic leather.

My dad in these shoes can physically walk miles, but if he did not have them and had to wear normal shoes he will be in agony, will injure his foot and will not be able to walk for weeks. He has tried loads of different normal pairs in the past even just walking around the house in them, but they all injure his neuroma and he then cannot walk for a week or two. So he basically cannot walk anywhere without his specially made orthopedic ones.

Do orthopedic shoes count as an 'aid'? If so does this mean he may be eligible for 4 points in the moving around category - "Can stand and then move UNAIDED more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres."

So the 4 together with the 10 he will have 14?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long email!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy4763220 View Post
    Hi,

I was wondering if you could please give me some advice regarding PIP.

My dad is an ex soldier and has PTSD, he currently gets DLA lower mobility and higher care, we have been told under DLA it is not possible to get higher rate mobility due to a mental health clause. When he is forced to transfer over to PIP I understand he has more of a chance of getting enhanced rate mobility due to a new category of planning journeys etc. I have looked at "Advice for decision makers" for PIP and it says that for 12 points on planning journeys category, people with mental health will usually not qualify and it is really only for people with learning difficulties.

My dad has been told by police and mental health that he is never allowed to leave the house without either myself or my mum and if he does try to leave the house alone the police have to be informed right away and he will be arrested and taken back to hospital as it is too much of a risk. He is currently on a section 117 aftercare after he was let out on a managers appeal from a section 3. Due to his mental health problems he will only leave the house with my mum, as he is agoraphobic so if he decides to go out alone it shows a considerable decline in his mental health and that he is probably about to go and commit suicide judging by previous behavior, he himself has admitted this and agrees that if he does leave the house alone it means his mental health has declined. He never ever leaves the house without my mum and the only times he has left the house alone in the last 3 years, was to try to kill himself on four separate occasions.

He is at risk of significant harm to himself and is also at risk of physical violence to others if an altercation happens on his journey. We have tons of reports from mental health stating this, and the only reason he was let out of hospital was that he return home to myself and my mum and is under my mums supervision 24 hours a day. By rights I believe this qualifies him for enhanced rate mobility component of PIP, is this correct? He cannot plan or follow a familiar journey without another person, even when he is at his most well. Looking at forums it seems people are eligible to 12 points but only being given 10 points and standard rate mobility despite being eligible for enhanced rate.

My dad also has a Morton's neuroma and he has to have special orthopedic shoes made for him by the NHS that are molded to this neuroma and has diabetic leather.

My dad in these shoes can physically walk miles, but if he did not have them and had to wear normal shoes he will be in agony, will injure his foot and will not be able to walk for weeks. He has tried loads of different normal pairs in the past even just walking around the house in them, but they all injure his neuroma and he then cannot walk for a week or two. So he basically cannot walk anywhere without his specially made orthopedic ones.

Do orthopedic shoes count as an 'aid'? If so does this mean he may be eligible for 4 points in the moving around category - "Can stand and then move UNAIDED more than 20 metres but no more than 50 metres."

So the 4 together with the 10 he will have 14?

Thanks for your help, sorry for the long email!

regardining mental health:

Q13 Going Out

f. Cannot follow the route of a familiar journey without another person, an assistance dog or
    an orientation aid. 12 points.

Should apply to him which instantly gives him enhanced rate.