Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Motability Car and Scooter query?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lothian
    Posts
    51

    Motability Car and Scooter query?

    Just a bit of a general question.

    I am due to order a new car on the Motability scheme later this year

    However I have been thinking about my needs both now and into the future. Where we have moved to (city centre) both a smaller car and a scooter would be handy. We live in a city so a small auto/semi auto would suffice and a scootler would be handy for just pottering down to the local shops.

    I was thinking maybe I could get both a car and a scooter on the Motability scheme but looking at the scheme FAQ's it says it is not possible to have two Motability contracts at the same time. The Motabiloity chap at my local garage couldn't answer why not, so I am just wondering if anyone on the forum here knows if there is any particular reason one cannot leaase both a scooter and car at the same time?

    Many Thanks

    Richard

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard2SG View Post
    Just a bit of a general question.

    I am due to order a new car on the Motability scheme later this year

    However I have been thinking about my needs both now and into the future. Where we have moved to (city centre) both a smaller car and a scooter would be handy. We live in a city so a small auto/semi auto would suffice and a scootler would be handy for just pottering down to the local shops.

    I was thinking maybe I could get both a car and a scooter on the Motability scheme but looking at the scheme FAQ's it says it is not possible to have two Motability contracts at the same time. The Motabiloity chap at my local garage couldn't answer why not, so I am just wondering if anyone on the forum here knows if there is any particular reason one cannot leaase both a scooter and car at the same time?

    Many Thanks

    Richard
    because your DLA/PIP can only cover one. If you take a car most/if not all your DLA/PIP will go to the lease. Scooters are also roughly the same amount.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    344
    Not got an answer to your problem but I have a Motability car and a few months ago I bought a travel scooter brand new for £399 so not a massive outlay, easy to say I know as some would struggle with getting £400 to outlay but it’s worth it to save for one of the cheaper Class 2 models.

    They have a range on paper of 10 miles (5 miles if you plan on coming back) and cruise at 4MPH but being the winter months the most I’ve done is around 3 miles with the battery still showing full.

    The company I used was an online one called CareCo and I would recommend them should you want to think of going down this road.

    This is like I said a Class 2 scooter that’s suitable for pavements and shopping isles but have no suspension to talk of but if you’re in need of the Class 3 scooters the prices for these are beyond me and my bank manager but then my car does the long haul and my scooter does all the leg work.

    Bear in mind that even the travel scooters are hefty lumps but can be broken into pieces for getting it into the car but for me I’m lucky my carer wife is always there to help with the lifting. Being sure of the dimension of the things is a problem but RICA can help here but with my Seat Leon the scooter had to be broken in two to get it in the boot but now with my VW Golf it can be lifted between the two of us straight into the boot even though both cars are built on the same chassis but the Golf having a wider hatch.

    Worth thinking about if your scooter journeys are only about 5 miles return journeys and of course more importantly if you got the money.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lothian
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    because your DLA/PIP can only cover one. If you take a car most/if not all your DLA/PIP will go to the lease. Scooters are also roughly the same amount.
    It is not the DLA/PIP, but it is the War Pension allowance I receive.

    As such, and for example at this current time, I can get a Skoda Citygo Semi Automatic with fixed weekly payments of £51.20, and also a smalish Mobility scooter, again with fixed monthly payments for £11.50. Overasll this comes to a total of £62.70 per week which is 70p per week less than my allowance.

    Hence, as both are fixed payments for the duration of the 3yr contracts, I fail to see why hiring both concurrently cannot be done?

    Richard

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lothian
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    Not got an answer to your problem but I have a Motability car and a few months ago I bought a travel scooter brand new for £399 so not a massive outlay, easy to say I know as some would struggle with getting £400 to outlay but it’s worth it to save for one of the cheaper Class 2 models.

    They have a range on paper of 10 miles (5 miles if you plan on coming back) and cruise at 4MPH but being the winter months the most I’ve done is around 3 miles with the battery still showing full.

    The company I used was an online one called CareCo and I would recommend them should you want to think of going down this road.

    This is like I said a Class 2 scooter that’s suitable for pavements and shopping isles but have no suspension to talk of but if you’re in need of the Class 3 scooters the prices for these are beyond me and my bank manager but then my car does the long haul and my scooter does all the leg work.

    Bear in mind that even the travel scooters are hefty lumps but can be broken into pieces for getting it into the car but for me I’m lucky my carer wife is always there to help with the lifting. Being sure of the dimension of the things is a problem but RICA can help here but with my Seat Leon the scooter had to be broken in two to get it in the boot but now with my VW Golf it can be lifted between the two of us straight into the boot even though both cars are built on the same chassis but the Golf having a wider hatch.

    Worth thinking about if your scooter journeys are only about 5 miles return journeys and of course more importantly if you got the money.
    Thanks but it is the peace of mind and the ability to get a new scooter every three years which nakes the Motability scheme appealing. I don't want the scooter to go into the car, I have a manual wheelchair that lives in the car for when I am out and about. I would like the scooter mainly to go to the local shops which are about 300 metres away from my house.

    Richard

    Richard

  6. #6
    Senior Member catlover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    674
    I used CareCo too and although my scooter isn't here yet (coming tomorrow) I've been impressed with price and customer service so far. I did buy a smaller battery and box from them and that came the next day. I find it difficult to get in and out of the car by myself (need a hoist really but can't afford it at the moment) but it is very easy to assemble.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    2,293
    Toolook is correct, apart from not having two contracts running at the same time, Motability charge a fortune for small scooters - I asked at the last roadshow in Manchester (as I was and still am after a lightweight model) and the prices were around £11.50 /week for the cheapest models!

    The cheapest car on the motability scheme is the Skoda Citigo 1.0S at £45.75 per week, the cheapest auto is again the Skoda Citigo 1.0SE but at a cost of £51.25 per week. Neither gives enough change to support a scooter too (just needing 50p/wk more).

    See for yourself here - List of Motability Cars , List of Motability Scooters
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

    Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Lothian
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Toolook is correct, apart from not having two contracts running at the same time, Motability charge a fortune for small scooters - I asked at the last roadshow in Manchester (as I was and still am after a lightweight model) and the prices were around £11.50 /week for the cheapest models!

    The cheapest car on the motability scheme is the Skoda Citigo 1.0S at £45.75 per week, the cheapest auto is again the Skoda Citigo 1.0SE but at a cost of £51.25 per week. Neither gives enough change to support a scooter too (just needing 50p/wk more).

    See for yourself here - List of Motability Cars , List of Motability Scooters
    Hi Paul,

    I tired to post earlier in response to Toolook's post but I don't know where the post went (pre-moderation?)

    What you have said is fine, other than I recive the War Pension allowance.

    Thus as things currently stand, the Skoda Citigo semi automatic is a fixed weekly payment of £51.20 and a small scooter (as I am now a lot smaller and lighter than I was when I was younger) is a fixed payment of £11.50 per week. Thus I would be 70p per week under the allowance of £63.40 per week. As both the car and scooter are fixed weekly payments they would never exceed my allowance over the whole period of the lease. Thus I cannot really see why this cannot be done.

    I know it may asppear an expensive way to get a scooter, but it is more for my peace of mind, knowing that if anything went wrong, it is just one phone call to get it sorted out. I wouldn't run up repair bills once the usual 12 month warranty expired etc, nor would I have to bother getting quotes for repairs etc, rather like with the car scheme. I could just do without the hassle at my age, the actual cost of the scooter doesn't really enter into it.

    Richard

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard2SG View Post
    Hi Paul,

    I tired to post earlier in response to Toolook's post but I don't know where the post went (pre-moderation?)

    What you have said is fine, other than I recive the War Pension allowance.

    Thus as things currently stand, the Skoda Citigo semi automatic is a fixed weekly payment of £51.20 and a small scooter (as I am now a lot smaller and lighter than I was when I was younger) is a fixed payment of £11.50 per week. Thus I would be 70p per week under the allowance of £63.40 per week. As both the car and scooter are fixed weekly payments they would never exceed my allowance over the whole period of the lease. Thus I cannot really see why this cannot be done.

    I know it may asppear an expensive way to get a scooter, but it is more for my peace of mind, knowing that if anything went wrong, it is just one phone call to get it sorted out. I wouldn't run up repair bills once the usual 12 month warranty expired etc, nor would I have to bother getting quotes for repairs etc, rather like with the car scheme. I could just do without the hassle at my age, the actual cost of the scooter doesn't really enter into it.

    Richard
    It doesn't matter that you are on WPMS. It doesn't change the fact that Motability will not allow you to take 2 contracts at the same time. As each contract is a risk etc etc. They also face a risk of having to dispose of 2 items instead of one if the contract was ended early through death, removal of benefits etc, thus costing them money.


    I know for a fact Motability will not allow 2 contracts at the same time. No matter if you are on DLA, PIP OR WPMS,. You now have to choose which vehicle you wish to order from Motability.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    North West
    Posts
    2,293
    If you are after peace of mind, then I would suggest contacting the suppliers of the scooters and asking about a lease-hire scheme - very similar to Motability but you can pay them directly.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

    Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

Similar Threads

  1. PIP Award - Motability Query
    By StephenM69 in forum Benefits - help & advice on disability benefits, incapacity benefits, ESA and DLA
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 14-01-15, 20:16
  2. Query re motability car offer updates
    By Carrera74 in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25-09-14, 21:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •