Thread: Car depreciation

Car depreciation

Have you ever thought how much value your vehicle can lose through depreciation.

A brand new car being driven off a garages forecourt will loose 25% in one day! EG a car costing £20,000 will only be worth £15,000 a day or year later.

The most value is lost in the first 3 years. So the value of a 3 year old car that cost you £20,000 will be about £8,000.

As cars are built so reliably these days it's not uncommon to see reliable cars been used 10 years after they were made.

My vehicle has a 57 plate on it and 'webuyanycar' valued it at just under £2,000 but it does everything I want it to do!

The depreciation on my car will be £500 - in the great scheme of things that's nothing for independent travel.

Providing that your car is well maintained there shouldn't be too many shock bills and you could save yourself a fortune - unless you want to keep up with the Jones's!!

As far as depreciation goes, the older the better. Better still get a classic that if maintained properly will actually gain value over time.

My last car was 16 when it retired. I paid £340 for it, and scrapped it for £140 2 years later. so depreciation of £100 a year. Depreciation however was only part of the bigger picture. An mot cost be 100's, the tax was over £200 and it was averaging about 25mpg.

With this car, ill probably lose about 1500 a year over 3 years. It'll do about 50-55mpg, road tax is £30 a year and mot shouldnt involve any major work. The one new expense is a service that i never did on the old banger. Overall with above average mileage, the two cars probably cost about the same.

marcusnicholas
    yep carl is right as your cars become old it will be more valuable if properly maintained.

Well I bought my car second hand - had it serviced today.- it's four years old and still hasn't done enough mileage for a 'first' service lol.

Just had a quick nose online - in 8 months it's still 'almost' the same price I paid.

Managed to rack up a whole 3,000 miles in that time lol, out of this was visits to see my mother in hospital 2,000 miles. My average mileage is about 80/100 miles per month, with one trip to Bristol and a few days out.

I'll probably wait until my next PIP assessment and then sell it and may treat myself to a Motability car.

I know someone who has a motability car. It will have covered 7000 miles in 3 years which financially (including the AP and Fuel) works out at £1.50 a mile. My 28000 miles will have cost me 60p a mile. Best (financial)car I had was a Hillman Avenger, cost £345. Sold for £125 3 years later. Never serviced and apart from a starter motor which cost £5 from a breakers and self fitted, no problems.

I know someone who has a motability car. It will have covered 7000 miles in 3 years which financially (including the AP and Fuel) works out at ?1.50 a mile. My 28000 miles will have cost me 60p a mile. Best (financial)car I had was a Hillman Avenger, cost ?345. Sold for ?125 3 years later. Never serviced and apart from a starter motor which cost ?5 from a breakers and self fitted, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1234 View Post
    I know someone who has a motability car. It will have covered 7000 miles in 3 years which financially (including the AP and Fuel) works out at ?1.50 a mile. My 28000 miles will have cost me 60p a mile. Best (financial)car I had was a Hillman Avenger, cost ?345. Sold for ?125 3 years later. Never serviced and apart from a starter motor which cost ?5 from a breakers and self fitted, no problems.
    One thing I dont get here is why people with such low mileage actually take out a motability car and them a deposit and 235 a month for the privilage personally. my neighbour does less than 7k over 3 years and dont quote me but I reckon he could save a fortune by getting taxis instead! Just seems a waste of money I think.

I only drive around 9k a year now and ive come off the scheme cos of the high deposits for people carriers which I need.

Quote Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
    Well I bought my car second hand - had it serviced today.- it's four years old and still hasn't done enough mileage for a 'first' service lol.

Just had a quick nose online - in 8 months it's still 'almost' the same price I paid.

Managed to rack up a whole 3,000 miles in that time lol, out of this was visits to see my mother in hospital 2,000 miles. My average mileage is about 80/100 miles per month, with one trip to Bristol and a few days out.

I'll probably wait until my next PIP assessment and then sell it and may treat myself to a Motability car.
    Hi

Personally with that low mileage I wouldnt bother after all it will cost you at least £8500 over 3 years excluding any advance payment you make for the car.

I;ve jusdt taken the log bookv back to my mum's garage as her car didn't pass its MOT and the car is only valued at £200 so it's not economical to repair. She'll get a refund for her insurance and tax. At last she's decided to hang up her driving gloves. She'll have to use a scooter, taxis or me for getting around.