Thread: Desperately Need Some Advice

Desperately Need Some Advice

Hi Folks

Can anyone point me in the right direction pls?

A few years ago I was allowed to do a job under permitted hours rule (PWH).
    I needed this job not for the money, but to get the mundane day out of my life.

After a while I went to the DEA (who is, and was a bitch) to ask if I could get some meaningful training for possible employment. And she arranged for me to see a woman from the Shaw Trust.

I got to the premises and gave my name, and then this bloke came to me and said that a Mrs. X was not conducting the interview but he was instead. (I usually record all conversations like this as I have quite serious memory problems, but my phone was being repaired)
    And basically after cutting this story short he told me that I need a proper job and get off benefits. I have a very good idea this bloke was from DWP…

Basically the DWP set me up, although I cannot prove this!
    Right I will get to the point….

I really do need a job/training to improve my mental well being but I am afraid because of the above of being set up by the DWP.
    Are there any people out there who are doing the permitted hours rule. And if there are, could you explain of any pitfalls you have or preferably have not had to deal with?

One of the rules I have heard is that if you manage to do the (PWH) for a lengthy period then they deem you as fully fit for work, and move you off benefits.

Can anyone help pleeeeaaaaassseeee.

David

Quote Originally Posted by oldngrumpy View Post
    Hi Folks

Can anyone point me in the right direction pls?

A few years ago I was allowed to do a job under permitted hours rule (PWH).
    I needed this job not for the money, but to get the mundane day out of my life.

After a while I went to the DEA (who is, and was a bitch) to ask if I could get some meaningful training for possible employment. And she arranged for me to see a woman from the Shaw Trust.

I got to the premises and gave my name, and then this bloke came to me and said that a Mrs. X was not conducting the interview but he was instead. (I usually record all conversations like this as I have quite serious memory problems, but my phone was being repaired)
    And basically after cutting this story short he told me that I need a proper job and get off benefits. I have a very good idea this bloke was from DWP…

Basically the DWP set me up, although I cannot prove this!
    Right I will get to the point….

I really do need a job/training to improve my mental well being but I am afraid because of the above of being set up by the DWP.
    Are there any people out there who are doing the permitted hours rule. And if there are, could you explain of any pitfalls you have or preferably have not had to deal with?

One of the rules I have heard is that if you manage to do the (PWH) for a lengthy period then they deem you as fully fit for work, and move you off benefits.

Can anyone help pleeeeaaaaassseeee.

David
    As it is a benefits question, please post in the Benefits thread, that way you will get a reply by someone who knows the answer.

You can do some 'permitted work' whilst claiming ESA which can include self employment.
    (I will leave out 'supported permitted work' as this has special rules).

You should of course inform the DWP if you intend to do any work whilst claiming esa, they will send you form PW1 that you fill in and return.
    You can find an example here: http://www.pkc.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=23634&p=0
    They then decide if the work is Permitted from this form. (Although you may have already have done the work before they make the decision).

There are rules of course and one of the important ones depends on whether you are in WRAG or Support Group.

Firstly you can do Permitted Work at the Lower Limit - with this you can earn up to £20 a week for an unlimited period.

Or you can do Permitted Work at the Higher Limit - with this you can earn up to £104.00 after tax and national insurance deductions if the work is for less than 16 hours a week. (This is based on the national minimum wage).

If you are in WRAG you can only do this permitted Work @ Higher Limit for 52 weeks then have to have a 52 week break.
    (Even if you only do Permitted Work for one day that starts the 52 week period after which you can't do anymore for the next 52 weeks).

If you are in support group this 52 week cycle does not apply, you can keep on doing Permitted Work as long as you like.

Money earned from Permitted Work does not affect you ESA payments.

I think that what you say about working for a 'lengthy time' and 'being taken off benefits' is a missinterpretation of the 52 week rule.

I will admit that the letter they send out after 52 weeks is worded to give the impression that you should give up your benefits claim and go to full time work.
    I know because I've had one of the letters myself, just told them I was no longer working and stayed on ESA.
    (I was not working. Don't tell them you are not working if you are - that's benefit fraud).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you nukecad for your detailed reply

According to Nidirect

You may be able to do some types of work and within certain limits. This is called 'Permitted Work' and it allows you to test your own capacity for doing some work and perhaps gain new skills.

You must check that the work you want to do is allowed under the Permitted Work rules. You should discuss this with your Employment Service Adviser in your local Social Security or Jobs and Benefits office.

Also According to Offshore News:
    Mr. Bruton said “Companies want certainty above all and the recent focus on the ‘double’ structures have created a level of uncertainty, so we have moved out ahead of that,” he said.