Thread: Blue Badge Application - Council Stupid Rules!

Blue Badge Application - Council Stupid Rules!

I just cannot believe the problem that I have in applying for a blue badge for my mother.

My mother is 95 years of age, registered blind, severe mobility problems, dementia and resides in a care home. I am her appointed power of attorney and I therefore filled out the blue badge application online. I took the proof of evidence to the council today, birth certificate, pension letter and blind certificate only to be informed by the council that my mother has to attend the application. I tried to explain the problem about bringing my mother to the council but they would not accept the application without my mother being present. I asked if someone could call to the care home to interview my mother only to be told no! This is ridiculous my mother is registered with the council for social services, occupational therapy etc. but they still refuse to carry out the application.

When I filled out the online blue badge application there was no mention (I believe?) that my mother had to attend, is this correct?

If the council request, she has to attend. However, I would have thought at your Mum's age and as she is severely disabled, that the council may use there discretion. I would write an email to the CEO of the council and ask for a reply. It is shambolic that your mum has to attend at her age to prove she is disabled, obviously when someone reaches 95 years of age, they will obviously have mobility problems.

Usually, an assessment determination is made by an Occupational Therapist, which may not have been done yet. Another way to avoid an assessment, is to get your GP to support your mother BB application by writing a letter describing that e.g. she cannot walk more than 10 metres without severe pain etc and how her conditions affect her walking.

kenjan
    Maybe they think that if your mother is unable to attend personally, then perhaps she will not be able to take advantage of the parking permit to go anywhere else. Just a thought.

Common sense should prevail. It's a major task to take my mum anywhere but sometimes you have too, like hospital appointments etc. Maybe it's too much to ask for the local councils to have any common sense..

Have you asked them why they need to see your mother in person?

Without knowing what your councils guidelines are it is not easy to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by kenjan View Post
    Maybe they think that if your mother is unable to attend personally, then perhaps she will not be able to take advantage of the parking permit to go anywhere else. Just a thought.
    That's a point.

I had to renew my blue badge just before xmas. I tred to do everything on line but it didn't wash. I even emailed a new photo, a copy of my DLA award and a signature.

You should be able to do it at your local Library.

Here's why they want to see your mum in person

- to see if she's still alive! The badge will be valid for three years
    - they want to see her entitlement to DLA then scan it.
    - they want to see your mum put pen to paper when signing her signature
    - they will want to take your mum's photo - this digital image is emailed to a central office
    - they may want to see a Utility bill to check on her address
    - they might require ten pounds sterling if she passes

The badge and clock were with me in 5 working days - not bad.

Each Council has it's own rules!
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 09-02-15 at 19:44.

There is a fair bit of fraud re relatives of elderly people applying for badges for their relative then using the badge themselves. Often it turns out that the relative knew nothing about the application. The guidelines also stipulate that local council's should see applicants at some stage of proceedings to verify their identity if possible. They want to be sure the photo on the badge is actually of your mother. If you send in a photo it could be of anyone (although I'd expect them to notice if you sent in a photo of someone 30 years younger!). As has been mentioned, they will also no doubt be wondering how your mother is able to make use of a badge if you are unable to get her out and to them.

There are always occasions when there is justifiable reason why it's not possible and alternative arrangements need to be made so I can only suggest that you contact your local council and explain how you are able to get her to hospital appts etc but not able to get her in to see them. Explain what taking her anywhere involves. They may then find an alternative - whether that's visiting her or accepting a photo from you without seeing her - but you will likely need to make a good case for whey you are unable to take her to see them as opposed to just not wanting to. So explain the problems you have when trying to take her outt. Ultimately the decision is down to your local council whether they accept your arguments and are happy to make an alternative arrangement or not see her at all.