Thread: Work - throwing the system into flux!

Work - throwing the system into flux!

I'm finding the 'system' very interesting at the moment.

Here's the situation that I'm in.

Of working age, on a small private pension and not drawing a State Pension or any means-tested benefits.

Trying to find funding for disability equipment that I prefer has been a nightmare as I face brick walls wherever I look - no charitable organisation is interested.

However there is a chink of light for a price.

I've engaged Access to Work to look into funding my manual wheelchair, add on motor plus wheelchair car boot hoist - about £8,000 worth of kit - they haven't said no.

In fact they called me this morning to clarify my needs and to confirm that they can't help fund my self-employment ambition. I said fine so I'll be allocated an officer to look at my eligibility.

I'm not in any business yet but could turn my hand to design or even doing Access Surveys.

We'll have to see what the rules are before raising hopes - could be a whole new chapter!!

Good luck! Hopefully their decision goes in your favour

Thinking of seriously going self-employed . . .

So far Access to Work have closed my case as I'm not officially self-employed. They said that first I need to register with the HMRC and obtain a unique code, get three quotes for stuff and write a business plan - then re-apply.

I spoke to a JobCentre Plus to find out about Start-up grants that are only available before you launch your business.

As I guessed - I'm not entitled to one as I'm not coming off benefit (sounds familiar)

Meeting DEA late next week - that'll be new as I've not been in a JobCentre yet. She wants to arrange for me to meet someone from Remploy for advice/training. I'm not convinced but I'll humour her!

I've got my foot in a door with the possibility of freelance design work just through word of mouth - the way forward!

Good luck with this, it does sound positive - fingers crossed for you.