Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bleeping Laptop

Bleeping Laptop

Just to note that my laptop is playing up, so if I go missing for a while its probably that.

Takes 20 to 30 tries of the on/off button to get it going, sometimes just get a blank screen, sometimes beeps as well.

Being a bit techie I know that the particular beeps mean a problem with the video card, hence the blank screen.

Can't afford a new one so will have to keep trying to fix this.
    I can see the screwdrivers coming out to take it to bits and re-seat the card. (Or change it if I can afford one).

Apologies if I leave anyone hanging in the middle of a question / answer thread.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

You may well find it difficult to remove or replace the graphic cards, as most are built with on board graphic chips.
    Post beep identifies a problem with your GPU as you say. It could be simply over heating. So check the heat sink is making good contact with the GPU.
    Also remove the heat sink and clean the fan, most have just one fan that works for both the CPU and GPU.
    What make and model number is the laptop ?

As expected I'm still having problems with it.
    Booted ok this morning, did a few checks, decided to make sure the video driver was up to date which meant a restart and frozen on the restart.

joss,
    Its an old Acer Travelmate2200 running XP.

Now think that the CMOS battery may have gone.

I have the same problem with my old laptop.
    I switch it off, take the battery out and unplug from power for a few minutes.
    Then battery back in, switch on and plug into power.

That generally works to get it up and running.
    Sea Queen

Well back up again today on the laptop, 12th time of booting.

@sea queen; yes I am aware of that method of resetting, usually you hold the power button down for 30 secs as well whilst no power lead or battry is fitted. (This partially resets the BIOS). Unfortunately that is not doing the trick with this machine.

@joss. sorry had to log off the machine I was using yesterday. Laptop is acer travelmate2200 as stated above, twin fans, not overheating if anything the opposite in this weather.
    As I started to say, because of another few issues that may or may not show once up and running, I am begining to suspect that the CMOS battery is discharged / dodgy which can cause strange effects (not just the clock). They do last for years but this laptop is years old.

I have ruled out malware or virus, (full scans with MBAM, Trend Housecall, etc), so left with a driver or hardware problem.
    Of course when updating / repairing drivers they need a reboot which freezes the machne again, catch 22.

Will just keep plugging away until I can fix it or junk it.

Tried to post this twice from IE with no joy, have repaired Firefox now. Apologies if it comes up multiple times.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well back up again today on the laptop, 12th attempt at booting.

@sea queen; yes I am aware of that method of resetting, usually you hold the power button down for 30 secs as well whilst no power lead or battery is fitted. (This partially resets the BIOS). Unfortunately that is not doing the trick with this machine.

@joss. sorry had to log off the machine I was using yesterday. Laptop is acer travelmate2200 as stated above, twin fans, not overheating if anything the opposite in this weather.

Once it is up and running it is usually fine unless I let it go to sleep mode or until I shut down.
    As I say its just a boot problem with the POST checks. (Power On Self Check for those who were wondering).

I started to say last time, because of another few issues that may or may not show once up and running, I am begining to suspect that the CMOS battery is discharged / dodgy which can cause strange effects (not just the clock). They do last for years but this laptop is years old.

I have ruled out malware or virus, (full scans with MBAM, Trend Housecall, etc), so left with a driver or hardware problem.
    Of course when updating / repairing drivers they need a reboot which freezes the machne again, catch 22.

Will just keep plugging away until I can fix it or junk it.

could well be power supply, cheap enough to buy and try another.......... Also, how full is the hard drive? needs a good overhead of free space. Have you defragged recently? Cleared out temp files and cache? All these things add up and if ignored will eventuall bring any system to its knees. Go through uninstall programmes and get rid of what you do not use, it all takes ram and resources.
    If you can get inside to fiddle, lift out the ram and clean the connectors witha normal pencil rubber to ensure good clean connection. If the CMOS batttery is socketed and not soldered replace it anyway, it will be past its best now .
    Run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and superantispyware...... Download SPECCY from PIRIFORM, free simple prog with system info and individual temps etc. DO NOT use auto find and update driver type progrmas or registry cleaners unless confident you can undo what poor chages they may make. Go to individual manufacturers sites to update to official latest drivers................Microsoft updates up to date? Some folk wont on principle but I always allow and never an issue yet. Replace hard drive ( Assuing its original HDD) with an SSD, pref Samsung so you can use the ultra simple migration to port your existing setup onto new ssd, But, if you do, NEVER defrag again, not good on an SSD........If you are getting a screen pic eventually the prob not a vid card or GPU prob, more one or a combination of the above........................Plenty of free progs to sort your issues out, no need to buy any. But first thing I would do is replace the power brick, simple generic one at same volts.amps/watts and connector will be fine and clear that issue one way or the other........

Good luck with it, plenty to try on it yet.............

ps I know I repeated some of what you have said/ done anyway, I was on a roll!

Hi stree;

Yep I am aware of all that you said and as noted before had already done a lot of it.
    ({removed}, DeFraggler, MBAM, and Housecall all live on my desktop, not sure what extra SPECCY would give apart from having all the system specs in one place for easy reference).

Laptop has been behaving itself today though, apart from the keyboard stopping working after it went into a standby.

I had to restart from that and it restarted no problem.

Been checking a few drivers, etc. and remembered that one of the things before it seriously started messing about was a Firefox update.
    So reloaded the FF update from the FULL download (not the stub download). and resets are working every time up to now.

Also just manually downloaded todays Microsoft Patch Tuesday stuff (1 MSE, 2 Office patches) and noticed that a definition update had failed to install last month, Hmmm.
    Checking the web it seems that that particular failed update has been causing problems elsewhere.

Lets see how things go in the next few days.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-09-18 at 16:25.

Speccy: exactly that: Easy quick reference & temp monitoring.Very good for model/unit numbers, serial numbers, BIOS versions, RAM specs, OS,etc etc.
    Note te FF issues... Jumped to Chrome a few weeks ago, FF slow & crashing/ freezing and memory hogging. Chrome now memory hogging and FF much slicker, so as of 2 days ago back on mainly FF. Use Gmail so maill address not an issue whichever browser.
    I use Open Office and Foxit Adobe reader so no heavy RAM usage and constat updating issues plus happier with least Adobe bloat possible anyway.
    For advanced Win tweaking have you tried "Godmode"?