Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bleeping Laptop

Sorry to hear about your laptop, but I hope you can sort something with your surgery, sounds interesting!!

Happy Birthday, I hope you have had a lovely day!

I'm having trouble with my laptop at the moment, it's a bit annoying, I'll plug in earphones but the sound plays out of the speaker and not in the earphones, I toubleshooted it but there's no issue with the sound and when I look on the settings the earphones are not recognised!

Tech is so annoying!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Not last post yet, Im going to autopsy it and see if I can transplant summat.

Birthday today so had lots of free beer off my mates, disection of laptop can wait.

Best in the local shop is a recon Acer mini tower for £249, too much for me at the mo, and its Vista which I dont like.
    you can buy a brand new basic laptop from John Lewis for ?229. http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals...ption=priceLow

That is all well and good if you have the funds. It is very difficult for anybody on a low limited income to replace expensive items when they are beyond redemption.
    Nukecad, I hope you can manage to sort something out in the near future.

New laptop comming today.

Asus M551MAV_SX1017B-BK

Intel Celeron N2840 (2.58 Ghz)
    4 Gb ram
    1 Tb hard drive
    15.6" HD screen
    8x optical drive (cd/dvd)
    built in webcam
    Windows 8.1 bing

pretty good spec for the price - £230
    (most at that price level have a slower processor, 2Gb ram, smaller hard drive, and no optical drive or webcam).

Ordered it from the co-op yesterday, delivery due 12:06 - 13.06 today.

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/...ING_SX1017B-BK

To afford it I got a Budgeting loan from the DWP.
    Interest free loan £348 paid back at £12.14 a week (deducted from benefits).

Be good to have a proper keyboard again, bit of a fiddle using the phone.
    Just need to get to grips with win8.1 now, then the free upgrade to win10 due later this year.
    Last edited by nukecad; 24-04-15 at 09:54.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Looks like a bargain.

Even on high end Apple iMacs optical drives are add on extras. You don't need one as much these days as you can stream videos and stuff can be stored in the cloud.

I prefer Apple products because it's a good piece of kit and you can prolong its life by upgrading RAM yourself. My mac will get to 4/5 years old before I want to trade it in.

Check out the Apple Mini. Ideal if you already have a monitor and keyboard.

http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/mac-mini

Looks a good price for what you get.
    So sad that people dependant on benefits through no fault of their own have to go to those lengths to purchase something that is so much a part of life in this day and age.

Well it arrived at 12:15, just going thru all the setting up sh**.

First impressions-

Casing seems a bit "plasticy" if you know what I mean, but I suppose thats par for the course these days.

The "User Manual" is a joke.
    Basicaly just tells you how to plug it in and switch on. ROFL.
    Hopefully there is a better manual online.

All the ports are on the left hand side (DVD on the right) would have been nice to have a USB on the right for a mouse rather than having to trail the cable across.
    Having said that the touchpad seems pretty good, but I still prefer a good 'old fashioned' mouse.

Setup wasnt bad, basicaly just connect to the web, ceate a microsoft account, or log in to your existing one, and it goes off and registers win8.1 for you - no need to enter a long product key.
    MS did email me a verification code to input and make it easier, I read this email with my phone, but there is an option if you cant get to this code during setup.

Ah, it has finished setting up now.
    Time to get tp grips with win8.1, and see what bloatware Asus have shipped with the laptop and uninstall it.

Guess what Im playing with this weekend?

First post from new laptop.

Got a mouse plugged in now but need to work out what to do about that trailing cable problem.
    Will probably get a wireless job that will plug into the USB port.

This windows 8.1bing seems strange to me, forget the "charms" business that seems fair enough, what is bugging me for the moment is that when you open stuff you are used to using the toolbars, address bars, etc. all seem to be in the wrong places.
    Might be something to do with having bing installed as default, but I don't want to install firefox yet until I get the initial bloatware off and get the desktop and startup programmes sorted out.

Probably just me needing to change some settings.

May go quiet for a couple of days whilst I get it to my liking.

Second impressions though - good, fast laptop. Keyboard may be a bit hard to see for some, not much contrast on the keys, and of course that USB port placement is a bit annoying.

I had a laptop played fine then coming up to having it five years the screen started to blink was told I needed a new graphics card then discovered if I just left the screen lid up and didn't open and close it was fine. I was'nt particularly put out as I never took it anywhere just left it opened all the time if that helps!
    Cheers.

emedals96,

That sounds like just a loose connection or frayed cable to the screen. Once you stopped moving it about it stayed in contact.

If you are handy enough you could take it apart, see if the cable is frayed and make sure the plug(s) are well seated.
    That was one of the first things I did with the old laptop, you can usually find instructions online on how to take your particular model apart.

To get back to my new kit I have found that windows 8.1 does a 'normal' desktop as well as the charm/tile nonsense.
    It boots up showing the charms but one of them is a 'desktop' charm, click on that and you are back to the old style desktop layout with icons (no start menu though, you still have to go to the top right corner).

Downloaded the Microsoft updates - took a couple of hours.
    Got rid of all the bloatware I don't want - I recommend a look at pcdecrapifier - yes it is called that.
    http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

I have started loading all my favourite maintenance programmes - {removed}, defraggler, malwarebytes are another three I recommend.
    {I no longer recommend that programme}
    https://www.piriform.com/defraggler
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

I run {removed} before I shutdown, or sometimes run it after an hour or two on the laptop. (Takes minutes).
    It gets rid of cookies, temporary files, etc. that are slowing you down.
    It can also clean up your registry.

Run malwarebytes about once a week. (Can take an hour or two).
    Checks your harddrive for any potentially nasties like address trackers, password hijackers, advertising trackers etc. and lets you get rid of them.
    It is not an antivirus, it looks for malware not viruses, use it as well as your antivirus.

defraggler is a replacement for the windows defragging utility.
    Cleans up and reorganises the files stored on your harddrive, and does it better than the standard windows one.
    Can take a couple of hours to do a full drive, as they all can, but with this one you can also do just one file or folder at a time to speed up particular programmes.

Getting a bit techie there, sorry.

All in all I am very pleased with this laptop up to now, still got a bit to do to get it as I want but that's just personal preference.

One annoying thing is that I had forgotten how this forum does not like internet explorer, buttons missing or not working, strange text effects, posts not seeming to go and then posting twice.
    Firefox is going to be the next download it doesn't have these problems.
    Last edited by nukecad; 18-09-18 at 16:29.