Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motability - refused a grant - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    The adaptation is extremely expensive, half the cost of the car. I can see why they may not fund it. I am aware that Motability, on occasions, will fund expensive items such as this but only when the user makes a contribution. I believe that Motability may pay half and the user pays the other half and that way Motability do not take that much of a hit, if you can call it that.

Motability have a policy where the grants must help as many people as possible, so if they were to fund your ?10,000 aid then they may not be able to help 50 people, if say each of those needed a ?250 grant. They have to way up your needs v everybody else's.
    As Motability is a charity, it does seem only fair to help out as many people as possible with the funding they have.
    Motability vehicle history....
    1996 ford galaxy,1999 VW T4 window van (Ricon tail lift ), 2005 VW T5 window van (Ricon tail lift)
    2011 Mercedes Sprinter (Ricon tail lift), 2018 Renault Master MWB (Braun taillift)..all vans have been wheelchair accessible.

They do tout for business though. From time to time I get a letter and a booklet from them. In fact I got one yesterday. I don't drive and my husband uses the car mainly for commuting, not for my good in the main. So we buy our own cars.
    I know you can get scooters on the scheme but you pay through the nose. I saved my allowance that I didn't use on taxis and bought a brand new scooter that served my needs for much less than motability takes over the years.
    I know I have insurance, batteries and maintenance to pay for but it still doesn't come to the amount of money motability want.

As i have a motability car I have a rental scooter which like motability comes with insurance servicing and 24 hour breakdown cover, I used to buy my scooters having had two before and found when it came to renewing them they were worth nothing maybe ?200 if your lucky, so I thought rental over 3 years is peace of mind and the company I got mine from will let you keep it at the end or you can just get another brand new scooter or powerchair.

The reason why I mentioned the WAV rule change was the fact that things are changing, and budgets are getting tighter. Motability Grants only have a finite budget to be spent across both adapting standard cars and for WAVs.

It's very likely they will set a limit, especially if there is something more cost effective on the market. Would a more recent assessment make any sense? Could you get to one of the centres? - Mobility Assessment Centres List

Don't give up.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs