Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disability and wheelie bins

Disability and wheelie bins

Hi all just had a letter saying wheelie bins are being introduced to my area throughout 2015, I can't physically use a wheelie bin and have no one to do it for me, i'll ring them monday to see what they say, but i just wondered if anyone else on here had dealings already with them over this and what the outcome was thanks

Local councils can make provision for the wheelie bin to be collected from the property so you don't have to put it out for collection if that assists you in anyway. If its a case of being unable to open the bin then there may be some assistive device which may help.

I use to have a few problems when we first had such bins. I was able to push the bin whilst in my chair. Nowadays either my wife or neighbor move the bin.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

I have assisted bin emptying. They fetch it from the back of my property, empty it and bring it back. Just ring them.

Do you have a carer or support worker at all? That can be part of their remit. Its only once a week or fortnight. I preseume it the putting it out bit you have difficulty? The above are correct, let council know and the bin men can be apprised of your need to have it returned to front/back of property.

Same as beau. My daughter has assisted help with her bins, just phone your local council
    Sea Queen

A shame that lower wheelie bins can't be provided under the circumstances but suspect it is the lorries that determine the height of them. Even the lesser capacity bins are the same height, just narrower.

I get my wheeie bin collected and brought back. I had to phone up council and sign a form.

Thanks all for the replies, as some one said yes can't lift the lid or lift stuff in cos i cant raise arms above neck line i'm only 4ft 4 now used to be 4ft 10, so thats a prob 2. Anyway I rang them today he asked me to sum the problem up he put it in an email to send to relevant dept and they'd get back to me in 10 working days, he said he knew they did assistance where they come and in my case push the bin up the hill and bring it back but he'd never heard of them putting the rubbish in the bin for you. I said i didn't live with anyone who could do it and i dont have a career, he said that wouldn't be taken into account which i thought was odd, so i'll see what they come back to me with. To be honest i don't think anyone in bungalows near me could do them. I'll let you know when i hear something.

Ok so today knock came on door, i'd been to see my nieces yesterday so as expected today wasn't a good day health wise which for once was something i was happy about, so i couldn't get the curtain behind door pulled back hands and arms iffy so i swore stuck my head under the curtain and open door as much as i could, it turned out to be the guy from council who decides on who gets help etc with bins he said he was in area checking with people who had rang about assistance with bins so thought check on me his self, i was leaning on the door and like i say arms worse than usual after yesterday so he said i can see your height is going to be a problem and i showed him how far arms would lift then as usual started shaking he said it was first time anyone had said about the problem of actually lifting a bin lid and lifting stuff into it he said he was surprised it hadn't come up before, he said he could see i have obvious health issues and there's no reason in my case that i shouldn't just keep to using the black bag he said he would put a note to pick it up by my door so i wouldn't have to pull it on the grass to end of path like i have been. So i was really pleased it's worked out better than i thought.

Good result then. Chap couldn't have come at a better time.