Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: Dvla sells our data

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I do have some respect for Glenda Jackson, even though I don't necessarily agree with her politics. She stands by what she says, unlike many MPs. Her voting record at around 55% is well below the average though.
    If anyone I knew, went to work 55% of the time and wanted to be paid their full salary, guess what would happen to them? They would quickly be out a job and fired post haste. However, MP's are a different breed and as such have perks that the average citizen will never enjoy.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    396
    Don't take the voting record alone as an indication of how much time a MP works. There is committee work, Surgery work, government work etc. However, the voting record is an interesting statistic
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    396
    Quote Originally Posted by toolook View Post
    PFI was expanded under Blair, causing hospitals to now become bankrupt as a result. The results can be seen today. PFI should never have existed, even though I align with Conservative policies. Blair wanted to build a lot of hospitals in little time and that is why he used PFI. So he could get re-elected.

    You cannot win an election without appealing to the centre ground. If you move to far left, you alienate the Centre and Right wing groups and vice versa. I like to think of it this way - in all elections you will get 40% who vote left wing - 40% who vote right wing but it is that 20% centre ground who make the difference of either side wining.
    I think you are right. The general principle of PFI is fairly sound, use private money to invest in infrastructure and lease that back over time. However, as with most Political ideas it was badly implemented and exploited. The terms of many PFI contracts would never have been agreed to by anybody in business. It wasn't just the initial build costs but the actual running costs, £50 to change a light bulb. Plus the contracts are so long you can't change provider.

    If the PFI contracts had been negotiated by somebody with more knowledge, experience and care then they may have worked.

    I use a saying at work 'spend it as if it was yours'. I save money when I can, get better deals where I can, and I don't even work in the accounting/procurement field.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    Don't take the voting record alone as an indication of how much time a MP works. There is committee work, Surgery work, government work etc. However, the voting record is an interesting statistic
    I agree, I knew that MP's do surgery work and committee's. However, I am unable to see why they cannot vote, at least 85% of the time. These are laws that will affect all of us and if they cannot get off their backside's to vote for them, then resign and let someone else in, who will do the job.

    Glenda Jackson lives in London and is not far from the House of Commons, so she could vote the majority of the time. I would have more sympathy for MP's who live in Scotland, Shetland Islands etc where it takes them a while to travel, in addition to the work they do in their constituencies and as such cannot attend a lot of votes in the Commons. It is akin to, someone living next to the office they work either showing up late or not at all versus someone who has to walk to work for miles and shows up on time and on a daily basis.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    112
    Although I am not any lover of new labour why would any working class person align with tories as in history working people started a new party called labour the conservitives were all about self and for the richest in society not working people.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    295
    MPs operate a system called "pairing". As they know that most votes go along party lines, most Labour and Conservative MPs have a "pair". They then agree between themselves for each vote whether they will both vote or neither. This has the same effect, as all parliament votes are decided on a simple majority.

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    MPs operate a system called "pairing". As they know that most votes go along party lines, most Labour and Conservative MPs have a "pair". They then agree between themselves for each vote whether they will both vote or neither. This has the same effect, as all parliament votes are decided on a simple majority.
    I am aware of the pairing system, however that is still no excuse. I admire Dennis Skinner, refused to have a pair and has a voting record of nearly 90%. Just look at his statistics: http://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/105...inner/bolsover

    He is a very hands on individual, who serves his constituents first. Shame not all MP's are like him, I don't like what he stands for but at least he shows up in the Commons and does the job he was elected to. He attends the Commons and does what is expected of him, if all MP's were like him, boy oh boy, would the public perception of MP's improve substantially.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by vantage View Post
    I think you are right. The general principle of PFI is fairly sound, use private money to invest in infrastructure and lease that back over time. However, as with most Political ideas it was badly implemented and exploited. The terms of many PFI contracts would never have been agreed to by anybody in business. It wasn't just the initial build costs but the actual running costs, £50 to change a light bulb. Plus the contracts are so long you can't change provider.

    If the PFI contracts had been negotiated by somebody with more knowledge, experience and care then they may have worked.

    I use a saying at work 'spend it as if it was yours'. I save money when I can, get better deals where I can, and I don't even work in the accounting/procurement field.

    PFI should be scrapped immediately and the government should provide money to end these deals early. I am no fan of borrowing more money but this way, it will mean the government will save many billions in the future.

    Here is a quote from The Telegraph:

    "Taxpayers are committed to pay ?229billion for new hospitals, schools and other projects with a capital value of just ?56billion. "

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...hey-raise.html

    It means we will pay 4 times the cost of the building over the PFI contract. Imagine what ?150 billion saved could do.

    Or we could heavily tax those in the PFI business e.g 60% tax rate on profit seems fair, so that the taxpayer can recoup some money. However, I am sure this would be illegal and the law would be repealed by the EU dictatorship.

Similar Threads

  1. DVLA Sharing Disabled People's Personal Information Publicly.
    By vikstar in forum News and general discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 30-01-15, 17:36
  2. DVLA appointed opticians
    By DianneT in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-11-14, 18:14
  3. Sleep aponea and DVLA
    By wazza in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 30-06-14, 09:22
  4. Honestjohn.co.uk MOT data
    By tinker in forum Motoring - help & advice on cars for disabled people, Blue Badge and Motability
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-05-12, 20:52

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •