PDA

View Full Version : There must be an end to zero hours contracts in uk

tinytim
16-01-15, 12:07
One thing for disabled is that labour have pledged to end zero hours work contracts and the cons no surpise want to keep it, and if elected I hope it also covers agency workers as well.

vantage
18-01-15, 12:10
I think zero hour contracts suit some people. A friend of mine works for an agency and works when she wants. However, and here is the main issue with many such contracts, she is able to turn down hours and work elsewhere. There are too many employers who penalise people who do. Employers are abusing their position and this does need to change. I would scrap the exclusive nature of such contracts, perhaps put a time limit on them, i.e say after 6 months an offer of a full contract should be made.

As for Labour and the Tory's. Well David Cameron has stated he will scrap some aspects of zero hour contracts. I quote :

"when companies employ staff on zero hours contracts and then stop them from getting work elsewhere, that’s not a free market – it is a fixed market. Those exclusive zero hours contracts that left people unable to build decent lives for themselves – we will scrap them."

tinytim
18-01-15, 15:05
No zero hours contracts ,mean you get no holiday pay no sick pay and you can be sacked at a mins notice it is totally unfair what you say vantage can be done on a proper contract with agreement.

tinytim
18-01-15, 15:14
You see with zero hours contracts you get no protection no sick or holiday pay and if you need to pay bills that is no good you can have a contract of employment and agree to hours worked without having this zero no protection which is most common now and easy to hire and fire which helps no one.

vantage
19-01-15, 12:15
The principle behind zero hour contracts is that there is maximum flexibility for both the employee and employer. The employee does not have to agree to any hours, they work when they wish, they can leave when they wish. I have a contract of work and have to work 35 hours, have to work at weekends when projects require my time, I have to give 3 months notice. So, there is a difference in terms of commitment.

Now, there are plenty of employers abusing zero hour contracts and these need to be stopped. As I say, such contracts may suit some people but not all. I would rather see people on full contracts but I don't believe in banning things which for some people work.

By the way Labour policy is not to ban zero hour contracts but to amend the rules and the exclusive nature. Also, until last year over 50 Labour MPs employed people on zero hour contracts, as I'm sure need the other parties.

tinytim
23-01-15, 16:30
As i have said you still can have non zero hours contracts but with protection for the employees and good companies would choose that route.

vantage
24-01-15, 18:47
As i have said you still can have non zero hours contracts but with protection for the employees and good companies would choose that route.

Which is the policy of both Labour and the Torys!!

tinytim
25-01-15, 11:37
Hi well the tories do not want an end to any zero hrs contracts and do not agree with labour party 2015 policy which is.
1) We will abolish zero hrs contracts with rules introduced to give new rights to employees on zero hrs contracts. This will include the right for employees who have consistently worked regular hours to receive a fixed hrs contract automatically.
2)We will ban employers from requiring zero hrs workers to be available on the off chance that they'll be needed.
3)We will stop employees from being required to work exclusively for one firm if they are on zero hrs contracts.
4)We will also ensure that zero hrs workers who have there shift cancelled at short notice receive compensation from there employer.
Now this is labours policy on zero hrs contracts if they get elected and you would have thought these issues would already be in place but alas the tories want no protections for any workers and that has always been that way.
Now to me I think that even labours policy does not go far enough, i want to see an end totally of zero hours contracts because many years ago we did not have these employers tacking advantage of workers and with so many agencies now exploiting workers on these contracts it needs to end.
Many years ago if you applied for a job you had an interview and then if you got the job you had six months to prove yourself now many companies and even local gov departments use agency with zero hours for what could be permanent employment there excuse its cheaper.

dori2o
02-02-15, 17:10
Hi well the tories do not want an end to any zero hrs contracts and do not agree with labour party 2015 policy which is.
1) We will abolish zero hrs contracts with rules introduced to give new rights to employees on zero hrs contracts. This will include the right for employees who have consistently worked regular hours to receive a fixed hrs contract automatically.
2)We will ban employers from requiring zero hrs workers to be available on the off chance that they'll be needed.
3)We will stop employees from being required to work exclusively for one firm if they are on zero hrs contracts.
4)We will also ensure that zero hrs workers who have there shift cancelled at short notice receive compensation from there employer.
Now this is labours policy on zero hrs contracts if they get elected and you would have thought these issues would already be in place but alas the tories want no protections for any workers and that has always been that way.
Now to me I think that even labours policy does not go far enough, i want to see an end totally of zero hours contracts because many years ago we did not have these employers tacking advantage of workers and with so many agencies now exploiting workers on these contracts it needs to end.
Many years ago if you applied for a job you had an interview and then if you got the job you had six months to prove yourself now many companies and even local gov departments use agency with zero hours for what could be permanent employment there excuse its cheaper.
IMO they won't ban them altogether, all that would happen is that employers would put people on 1hr contracts with flexibility written into them i.e.' as and when the business requires'.

The problem is that some employers, i.e. sports direct only employs retail assistants on these contracts which is where I believe it is wrong.

These businesses know what their minimum footfall is, i.e. they know what the minimum amount of customers they will get through the doors n an ordinary week. For those hours they should have to employ premanent full time/part time staff. Anything above that they should be able to use ZHC's to cover things like school Holidays, Christmas, Easter, in the case of Sports Direct to cover when there are big sporting ocassions i.e. World Cup/Ryder Cup/Rugby 6 Nations, Olympics etc etc when their need for staff is greater as has always been the case with seasonal staff.

What they also need to do is to ban exclusivity within all employment contracts. It's not just those on ZHC's who suffer with this clause but also P/T and some f/t workers.

We as a nation are sufferring as employers will use any means necessary to reduce costs. More and more employers now would rather employ 2 or 3 part time staff over 1 full time as it means they can avoid paying Employers National Insurance as long as they keep the employees earnings below £153 per week.

The way to stp that is to abolish NI and inbcrease each rate of tax by 5%, including Corporation Tax. This would ensure that loopholes such as this which restrict an employees earning potential, could not be used. IMO this would see a reversal in the trend of ZHC's and part time over full time employment.