PDA

View Full Version : RHS Flower Show Tatton Park 23-27 July

Lighttouch
17-07-14, 17:50
Having always enjoyed the outdoors I tended to leave gardening matters to my former ex being the most green fingered of the two

In fact I live on an area of land that back in the 60s was part of a farm growing a well known name of Rhubarb. For our younger members thats a plant that looks suspiciously like celery only it's sweeter and tinged in red colours.

My outdoor pursuits revolved around cycling, rambling and pot-holing or caving. Ah-ha - I here you saw that is more of an indoor sport. Caves and tunnels - mmm - technically right but you don't find rivers, lakes, mud slides or ravines at 0 degrees in your average house.

Where am I going with this you might well ask.

After a young, innocent sporty life that was cut short i its prime due to a sporting incident. I still had that burning urge to feel the wind on my face, heat and raindrops around my eyes so I joined the National Trust for fresh air, gentle strolls and a feeling of inner peace.

Occasionally I have these mad ideas to fulfil an urge ad caution is thrown to the wind. One of those days happened a few weeks ago when I bought tickets to this Flower Show before asking permission from people I wanted to invite.

So the main person a special ticket was bought for was mum as she loves gardening. Secondly my niece touched lucky as she was in the room when I asked.

Now green fingered mum does not want to go due to the number of people in the show.

So now I am of an age where I like gardens!

HOT OFF THE PRESS TODAY . . .

Well I never - just received my 2014 Carnival Catologue - with 180 A5 pages.
Below is a map of the staged area - it's enormous!

Colour coded
Black squares - Show Gardens
Light Green - Grow
Lilac - Inspire
Pink - Escape
Yellow - Feast

The disabled entrance and parking / scooters are on the RIGHT of this map. I will be entering the park at the Rostherne entrance so I'll ask a warden to let me turn LEFT away from the public car park in order to park outside the show entrance - ideal!!

Things are hotting up!

catlover
17-07-14, 18:30
Maybe gardening is an age thing - I certainly got into gardening only in the past few years.

I have always been interested in wildlife and the countryside, although preferring a spot of wildlife watching to Lighttouch's adrenaline fuelled sports! I completed a biology degree with an emphasis on animal behaviour and environmental studies and did my final year dissertation on male dominance in chimpanzees!!! That took me to Chester zoo for the practical side and I have been a member of the zoo for a few years now. The ability to indulge in these interests was challenged by the fact that I became a wheelchair user in 1989 (didn't stop me completing my degree and going on field trips - I insisted that they accommodated me). I guess what happened to me then happens to lots of people in that real life, especially work, takes over and there is less time to indulge in hobbies. I never lost my interest but didn't get out and about as often as I'd have liked. I never lost my interest in the outdoors but I was more likely to be found in a shopping centre than a garden!

Gradually as I got older the habitat and plant life aspect began to interest me more and I also took up photography with an emphasis on wildlife and zoo photography so I started going out and about more and enjoying the natural world around me. Then 2 years ago, after never really being interested in gardening, plants or flowers, I suddenly got the gardening bug. I can even pinpoint the exact week - it was the last week of March 2012. If anyone has that good a memory you'll remember that it was a scorcher of a week. I was off work that week as I was having new windows put in. All of a sudden everything came together and I found myself in B&Q buying some tomato seeds! And so my passion for gardening grew, much to the amusement of my friends. I can only really grow in containers as I have no garden (live in a flat) or balcony. No space of my own at all. But I love trying to grow veg in pots and just put them outside my window as I am fortunately on the ground floor. I have also surreptitiously adopted a small area of garden in front of my flat so slip in plants now and again, mainly spring bulbs and flowers. Now I love visiting gardens, national trust properties, garden centres etc. My real passion is still wildlife but I feel you can't separate animals from their habitat and once interested in plants in general that sort of naturally leads on to gardens and gardening. A few years ago I also got interested in photography (wildlife and zoo photography mainly) so all my interests sort of merged and became one. I've still got my L plates on as a gardener but I love finding out about new plants and get a real kick out of growing veg from seed. Cheap, organic and no air miles! I love watching seeds germinate and then grow up to be big, healthy plants which then produce flowers and finally fruit etc. I wasn't the least bit interested in gardening as a young adult - it is something that has just suddenly developed in middle age.

I went to Tatton flower show for the first time in 2012, went last year and am going again this year. I was a bit concerned the first time that it might all be a bit "ladies who garden" but it wasn't and there was a good variety of stuff to see - it's not all flowers, there are fruit and veg sections too. Then there's the show gardens to enjoy (and sometimes to enjoy criticising!). I'm really looking forward to this year. And I'm sure I'll come back with a plant or 2!

So how did everyone else get interested in gardens and gardening?

catlover
17-07-14, 18:41
HOT OFF THE PRESS TODAY . . .

Well I never - just received my 2014 Carnival Catologue - with 180 A5 pages.
Below is a map of the staged area - it's enormous!

Colour coded
Black squares - Show Gardens
Light Green - Grow
Lilac - Inspire
Pink - Escape
Yellow - Feast

The disabled entrance and parking / scooters are on the RIGHT of this map. I will be entering the park at the Rostherne entrance so I'll ask a warden to let me turn LEFT away from the public car park in order to park outside the show entrance - ideal!!

Things are hotting up!

Lighttouch - be aware that you may not be able to park where you think you can. If you have never been to the flower show before don't assume it will be the same as visiting Tatton at any other time. There are 2 entrances to the flower show - the deer park entrance and the manion house entrance. You will not be allowed to park outside the manion house entrance. That area is cordoned off and there are marquees etc for rhs membership, ticket collection, scooter and wheelchair collection etc. The best place to park is the disabled parking marked on the map near the deer park entrance on the right of the map. That is a short walk to one of the wheelchair/scooter collection points (of which there are 2) and the show entrance. I only have 1 experience of using the other entrance (back in 2012) and then I had to park some way away and use the shuttle bus to the mansion house entrance. Remember that interest in gardening and flower shows does tend to be age related and there will be many blue badge holders there. You will not be allowed to dictate where you park. I don't know Tatton in general all that well so dont' know what the Rostherne entrance is but there are many car parks and all have disabled parking. The one marked on the map as disabled parking is for disabled parking only and that is where I will aim to park. Last year I parked there and just followed the signs. It is where they direct everyone to until it fills up. Once that's full blue badge holders will be directed to other car parks.

Lighttouch
19-07-14, 15:51
Hi Catlover, I know Tatton Park quite well and I've never parked in the public car park yet. I'll park by the entrance to the show by the scooters. It may not be protocol but that's what I'll be doing.

Well, I'll be bring my two nieces aged 27 and 23. They are a credit to my sister who passed away two years ago from ovarian cancer - bless her.

catlover
19-07-14, 16:32
Hi Catlover, I know Tatton Park quite well

Have you ever been to the flower show though? Not the same as visiting Tatton for a general visit. The entire Park and surrounding roads will all be geared up for the show with one way systems and road closures. There are approx. 80,000 visitors over the 5 days so that's a lot of people, many of them arriving and leaving at the same time. If a road is closed you will not be able to flash a smile and a blue badge and be allowed to go down it! If you think they will let you go the wrong way down a one way road - well good luck to you! I look forward to hearing how you get on. I shall simply arrive early, park as near to the front of the disabled parking as possible then walk to the nearby scooter collection point and from there on to the deer park entrance.

Lighttouch
19-07-14, 19:51
Just found this road closure information . . .

The traffic restrictions between 7am and 7pm will be:

· No right turns on the A556 at Bucklow Hill traffic lights for northbound traffic turning onto Mereside Road, Mere
· No right turns on the A556 for northbound traffic turning into Cherry Tree Lane, Rostherne
· No right turns from Cherry Tree Lane onto the A556 From 7pm on July 21 until 7am on July 27, cylinders will be placed on the A556 from the Bowdon roundabout to just past the junction with Cherry Tree Lane to stop vehicles changing lanes.
Drivers will not be allowed to park on Garden Road, Mereheath Lane from its junction with Garden Road to the end of the 30mph limit, and Tatton Street from the junction with King Street to the double yellow lines.
Access will be allowed to most of the properties along those roads, although Ashley Road will be blocked at its junction with Birkenheath Lane.

Police will also close Ashley Road, Marsh Lane, Cicely Mill Lane and Rostherne Lane in Rostherne.
All town centre shops and car parks in Knutsford will be open as usual.
Free shuttle buses will take visitors from Tatton Park’s Knutsford gate into the show.

I would normally use the roads highlighted in red which the Police are now closing - I'll need to chew over a route that won't involve queuing for hours - in theory!

catlover
19-07-14, 23:07
I think you may be over thinking all this trying to come up with some ingenious way to beat the system, Lighttouch! Try to chill out and smell the flowers :) If you arrive early you are unlikely to be caught in any queues (I wasn't last year). If you arrive later you may but the whole purpose of the one way system is to keep traffic moving. When it comes to the best parking it will be first come first served.

I will be aiming to do the same as last year - get there early, park in the disabled parking which is the closest you can get to an entrance. If for any reason we dont' get there as early as planned, I will just take a chill pill and not get frustrated. The shuttle buses are pretty good and if I have a problem walking to the scooter collection point I can always send my friend ahead to try and get one brought to me. I have always found the marshalls and staff in general to be very helpful (last year someone took the plants etc that we had bought to the car for us).

Lighttouch
20-07-14, 13:21
I will have to sound my nieces out about an early start on Sunday - just hope they aren't burning the midnight oil the night before.

Gosh just had an invite to a matinee showing of Around the World in 80 days at the Royal Exchange Theatre. Surprising how you get invited out having got transport, a Blue Badge for parking and eligibility for 241 tickets - I'm being used! Such is life! lol.

Thanks for mentioning Chester Zoo - haven't been in ages but having seen their access arrangements I'll give it a whirl with camera in tow! http://www.chesterzoo.org/plan-your-visit/accessibility-for-disabled-visitors

catlover
23-07-14, 22:34
well tomorrow's the day :)

Lighttouch
23-07-14, 23:47
I feel nervous for you. It's like you're being released into a battle zone.

Good luck Catlover , we'll be thinking about you . Don't forget your hat, sun lotion and cash.

Report back about the experience after you recover. :o)

catlover
25-07-14, 17:42
A burnt to a crisp catlover reporting in!

Ok, point no. 1 - prepare for the weather. I'm not sure what the forecast is for Sunday but bear in mind that it is very difficult to get out of the sun (or rain). There are very few places under cover (and they get very crowded) and hardly any shady areas. I did put some sunscreen on before I left but didn't take any with me. 9 hours later I was (and still am) the colour of a lobster and my feet and ankles were very swollen. Last year it was a hot day when I went and I got burnt a bit and vowed to be better prepared this year. But alas it did not happen.

Anyway - traffic and parking. We set off about 8am from South Manchester and drove through Altrincham onto the A556. About a mile from the roundabout (M56) we ground to a halt and it took over half an hour to get to the roundabout. I was worried it was going to make us too late but once through the roundabout things picked up. I think there was a problem on the M6 and the M56 was also very slow going. At least travelling on a Sunday you will not have to contend with commuters. We followed the signs for the flower show and didn't get stuck in any queues. Had an amusing moment at a T junction - there was a sign with a car park bod standing right in front of it so that we couldn't see which way the arrow was pointing! He just stood there neither waving us nor moving out of the way. Eventually we worked it out. More traffic as we neared the deer park entrance but just a handful of cars really and nothing to slow us down. We followed the signs for disabled parking and fortunately the area used was nowhere near full so we were about 3 rows back (it's not a proper car park with parking bays - just a grassy area). From there it was a walk of about 100m I guess past some portaloos and to the wheelchair/scooter hire. Ticket office was nearby. We got there about 9.15am. People were starting to queue but we would have been the first in the scooter/wheelchair queue if we hadn't had to faff around at the ticket office. That is the closest parking there is. I managed the walk to the scooter hire in the morning (albeit slowly) but struggled on the way back. Fortunately my friend had gone on ahead with the plant porter while I took the scooter back and was able to bring the car a bit closer to me to pick me up. We left about 6pm and no traffic problems leaving.

There wasn't a problem with the complementary carer ticket but I was originally told tickets would be emailed to me yet the only ticket in the attachment was my disabled visitor ticket. I rang them back and they said I had to collect the other ticket from the ticket office and show proof of disability! I had no intention of doing the latter so just printed off the email that said I had purchased scooter hire, my ticket and complementary companion ticket. As it happened the ticket office was nearby and there was no queue so we just went there, showed the email with ref number and they printed off the other ticket. Didn't ask for any proof of disability. It's been a few years now since I used the other entrance, but I think the deer park entrance is the best one to use as not only does it have the designated disabled parking but I think it's a bit more low key and seems less busy. The scooter hire and ticket office are very close together too.

When I collected the scooter I noticed they all had plastic sheeting on the seats and backs - like shrink wrap/cling film! I know the seats are vinyl so make you sweat but I expressed dismay at the thought of an extra layer of plastic! They said they could not (would not?) remove that. Anyway I noticed some had no plastic on the seats so I took one of those. As soon as we got inside the show ground and out of sight I ripped the plastic from the back. I'm not paying £25 to sit on plastic!! They said nothing when I returned it. It had a crutch holder on the back so was satisfactory in every other way.

Last year they let the scooter/wheelchair queue in first to avoid wheels and legs getting tangled up! And to allow wheelies to get to some of the busy areas like the flower pavilion first before they got too busy. However they didn't do that this year. It actually seemed quieter to me than last year although later it got very busy so I wonder whether traffic problems held up a lot of people.

I thoroughly enjoyed it although it was very busy. So much to see. It was hard to see the show gardens as they were mixed in with everything else and tended to have crowds of people around them. I missed seeing Monty by a whisker. I was in the flower pavilion while my friend was elsewhere and she saw him so rang me because she knows I like a bit of Monty. I went racing to where she was on my scooter, not caring whether I ran anyone over or not, but alas I was too late and he had gone :(

I bought a gypsophilia plant although I don't know where it is going - it's my plant of the moment (I am a novice gardener and saw some at a garden centre recently - I had never heard of it and was quite smitten). It's a small plant with a pinkish/mauve tint. I am hoping it will go in the garden out the front but I'm not sure it will thrive there as I think it likes sun. Oh well - it will either thrive or not. I'm a try it and see gardener! I also bought a deep red orchid and made a few foody purchases :)

Despite the crowds I am proud to say that I didn't run over anyone's feet (tempting at times) and didn't so much as clip an ankle. It required a lot of patience as the flower marquee was heaving the first time I went in but I decided it was better to give scooter users a good reputation than get annoyed at people getting in the way. So I lay down a challenge to you, Lighttouch - see whether you can get through the day without bumping into anybody! Or is it a case of women being the better drivers.... ;)

My advice to you is

get there by 9am, follow the signs for flower show and then for disabled parking
choose a scooter without plastic on the seat
Don't try to turn the scooter around in the loo
Take sunscreen, a hat and a brolly! Don't assume you will be able to shelter somewhere
Enjoy! :D

catlover
25-07-14, 19:08
I have updated, Lighttouch, but my post is awaiting moderation. So watch this space!

This post will probably await moderation too actually but I will give it a try.

Fliss
26-07-14, 07:52
Not gonna cloud the dramatic wait for Catlovers review but I went on Thurs too! Looking forward to reading your update and Light enjoy tomorrow, just park where you're directed and all will be good and easy :)

catlover
26-07-14, 08:57
Not gonna cloud the dramatic wait for Catlovers review but I went on Thurs too! Looking forward to reading your update and Light enjoy tomorrow, just park where you're directed and all will be good and easy :)

Did you have a good time? I hope you didn't get as sunburnt as I did!

Fliss
26-07-14, 09:14
Loved it! Mostly avoided being burnt thanks to factor 50 and a hat. But have a strange red rectangle on my arm that I must have missed. Although it wipes me out, I love a sunny day but Thurs was very hot! Looking forward to your review. Not sure why but didn't take a single photo.

catlover
26-07-14, 09:20
I didn't take photos either. I took one or two of flowers in the flower marquee but didn't think to take any of the show itself. Think it was just too hot to think of it. Plus it was so crowded you would just get photos of other people.

My worst burnt area is around the base of my neck at the back and front - above the neckline of my top. It's a red ring that goes all the way around and it's very painful to wear a seatbelt or carry a bag at the moment! I had my hair cut a bit shorter a few weeks ago and just didn't think about that area being exposed to the sun.

My review is up now :)

Fliss
26-07-14, 09:56
Echo your review really! We also arrived later than planned due to the traffic, Thursday was a really bad traffic day for all Manchester motorways. Despite the heat I had a really good day out and despite the number of people there would recommend it as doable from a wheels point of view. Would have liked longer in plant marque but found outside easier!

Lighttouch
26-07-14, 10:50
It's a good job you've been before me as you've passed on some valuable tips. I'm picking the girls up in Altricham at 9.15am.

You made e realise that I didn't have proof of purchase. Just tracked the email down going back to 11 June so need to print it off as I have no tickets. I also need to take the credit card I bought the tickets with.

I'm going shopping soon so will get some sun tan lotion, handy wipes and some snacks. I've asked the girls to bring big brimmed hats as I don't want anyone suffering from heat stroke!

I'll try to get some generic people shots on my mobile to give people a flavour of the crowd size.

I was just going to go in shorts and t-shirt but I think we're due a touch of rain Sunday so a briolley might be handy.

I don't think we'll be there until 5pm probably until 2pm ish.

It's my nieces birthday today so the entrance fee is her birthday present!

It's all looking good so far. Touch wood!

Lighttouch
26-07-14, 14:23
I don't think I'd fully appreciate the Flower Show if I was there today as it's far too hot to walk around outdoors with no shelter. Just been out to buy provisions to keep me going.

Luckily it will be a lot cooler about 64F instead of 79F - could this be ideal!

catlover
26-07-14, 15:47
I don't think I'd fully appreciate the Flower Show if I was there today as it's far too hot to walk around outdoors with no shelter. Just been out to buy provisions to keep me going.

Luckily it will be a lot cooler about 64F instead of 79F - could this be ideal!

I don't know - you'll have to talk in degrees Celcius for it to make any sense to me! But cooler sounds better.

I'm quite envious of you having it all still to look forward to. If it wasn't for the scooter hire I'd have been tempted to go again to see the things I didn't see first time. Watching the tv coverage made me realise things I missed.

So - do you take up my scooter challenge?!

Lighttouch
26-07-14, 16:23
Well, being a one handed scooter rider I'm taking no prisoners. It's a shame we can't pay extra for attachments. If we could I'd ave flailing rotating chains spinning like a mine sweeper to cut a path to the front of a show garden. lol

I haven't tuned into any coverage on TV as I'm watching of the Tour de France and Glasgow Games.

Hope not to buy anything but that's not to say I won't. lol

Flymo
26-07-14, 16:24
Well, being a one handed scooter rider I'm taking no prisoners. It's a shame we can't pay extra for attachments. If we could I'd ave flailing rotating chains spinning like a mine sweeper to cut a path to the front of a show garden. lol

If Boudicca invented mobility scooters... (with apologies to a well-known brand of lager).

Lighttouch
26-07-14, 16:35

This is the special Catlover's version - hope it's no hotter! lol

catlover
26-07-14, 16:57
Well you only need 1 hand to drive a scooter so that's no excuse! I used 1 hand most of the time which is why my right arm is more sunburnt than my left.

You could have recorded the tv coverage (it was only 2 half hour programmes) then settled down with a glass of chilled white for a bit of a preview!

catlover
26-07-14, 17:02
Come to think of it - they'll still be on catch up tv

Flymo
26-07-14, 17:17
Come to think of it - they'll still be on catch up tv

Here are links to episode 1 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04brjl1/rhs-show-tatton-park-2014-episode-1) and episode 2 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04brkmp/rhs-show-tatton-park-2014-episode-2).

Fliss
26-07-14, 18:11
Talking to a friend today who is a member of RHS so had gone on Weds. She'd seen Monty and apparently they had eye contact?! Plus she saw the judging announced etc. So Catlover you need to find a friend who pays for RHS membership and tag along next year!

Lighttouch
26-07-14, 18:27
Thanks Flymo I'm checking them out now with a glass of wine and fixing my printer or I'll have no proof of purchase.

They have a wheel to go up in and I need a Cherry picker for height - I might be going up in the world tomorrow. lol

catlover
26-07-14, 18:48
I wanted to go on the ferris wheel but my friend wouldn't go with me as she's afraid of heights. I decided I'd go on my own but the queue was long so I thought I'd go back later but then didn't have time.

Ooh - that's an idea, Fliss! :)

I am really suffering from sunburn today - very painful. I can't lie down without pain as if I lie on my side my upper arms are painful and if I lie on my back my neck/back are even more painful as I have some blisters there. Next year it is going to be hat, shades and factor 50. Now just watch it pour with rain all day. Can't believe how stupid I was.

Lighttouch
26-07-14, 19:20
I wanted to go on the ferris wheel but my friend wouldn't go with me as she's afraid of heights. I decided I'd go on my own but the queue was long so I thought I'd go back later but then didn't have time.

Ooh - that's an idea, Fliss! :)

I am really suffering from sunburn today - very painful. I can't lie down without pain as if I lie on my side my upper arms are painful and if I lie on my back my neck/back are even more painful as I have some blisters there. Next year it is going to be hat, shades and factor 50. Now just watch it pour with rain all day. Can't believe how stupid I was.

I've learnt the hard way about the power of the sun whether in Brighton or in Mombassa, Kenya - cover up!!

Long sleeved shirts and long trousers to protet from the sun and male mosquitos!

Luckily I tend to go from a paler shade of white to meditteranian brown in a short time.

I've told my girls to bring sensible shoes, sun tan lotion and a big brimmed hat. Your neck is very exposed if out for a long time. Aren't I bossy!

We'll try the wheel -I'll play the disabled card to jump the queues - well there are some benefits to being disabled.

Won't it be funny having two glamorous assistants. No please don't feel sorry for me I'll just soldier on as best I can.

Catlover, hoping to take old Medusa, ye olde Canon 350 D DSLR with me if the battery charges. She's the grandma of all digital DSLR's out today - nothing fancy just a bog standard camera that only takes photos no fancy video.

I think anther glass of wine is called for and I'll watch IPlayer on TV.

Thank you and good night.

PS I managed to print my confirmation letter out in red as the blacking has dried up - typical!

catlover
26-07-14, 19:40
As long as it's printed it doesn't matter what colour! Left that to the last minute, didn't you?

No way was I prepared to carry a dslr around with me. If I'd thought of it I could take perfectly good photos with my iphone. I have numerous camera apps (most of which I've never used). I had enough weight to carry with bottles of water. That's another piece of advice - take as many bottles of water that you can carry. Unless you want to pay £2 per bottle. May not be needed as much for you tomorrow but when it's scorching hot they've got you over a barrel - you need to stay hydrated but there are only so many bottles you can carry around with you.

Lighttouch
27-07-14, 06:05
All good advice Catlover. I'll take a few bottles of water, I'm taking lunch too In case the eateries are full.

To do with your sunburn - besides cool showers the most soothing stuff to rub on is 'Aftersun' with Calamine lotion.

When in Brighton I was lying on the beach reading a book. Not a particularly hot day but my neck was exposed and I suffered heat stroke. The best thing I did was to sit in a cold bath - wonderful!

Hope you feel better soon. Right it's cereal and Yorkshire tea time!

catlover
27-07-14, 09:24
Our intrepid explorer should be there by now, traffic permitting :D Weather looks perfect if it's like it is here - some sun but much cooler.

Lighttouch
27-07-14, 19:07
Well despite setting off 30 minutes late tere was little in traffic hold ups getting there.

Slight hiccup with parking as wardens weren't briefed that I was coming - I parked by the scooter hire place!

Weather was peachy - couldn't have asked for better - hot, dry, sunny with a warm breeze - ideal!

Plenty to see and do. Knocked 5 peoples ankles - funny how they turn around and apologise first!

The girls were great company and they enjoyed the 'theatre experience' of the occasion.

Very busy everywhere - felt as if you were abroad.

Didn't buy anything for the garden but still spent a fiver on refreshments.

Bargains were had shortly after we left . . .
http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/rhs-tatton-park-flower-show-7516687#.U9Ve81oDy94.twitter

Here's a few photos to give you a flavour as what went on in addition to show gardens . . .

Fliss
27-07-14, 22:00
Yay! Pleased you enjoyed it - a good day out :)

catlover
28-07-14, 07:03
Glad you enjoyed it. You only spent a fiver?! Blimey - you're not a Scotsman are you? ;) You didn't splash out on a glass of bubbly then :D Did you go on the ferris wheel?

Tut tut at knocking ankles - what can I say? I guess women are just better drivers ;)

Lighttouch
28-07-14, 09:22
Yes the girls kept on buying the drinks and ice crewm. I was close to buying a metal windmill for outdoors but changed my mind when I saw the size of a flat pack to go!

I think bubbly is a bit over rated - I did ask the girls if they wanted one but they weren't interested.

Sounds harsh knocking ankles - it's more a case of people reversing into me when I was stopped.

I think it's funny that when two scooters pass each other they stop mid eisle to have a chat blocking pedestrians in both directions - yet nobody asks if they would move on.

Going into the Trafford Centre shortly - now there are hundreds of scooters their that you could try out prior to buying.

£10 deposit plus £3 an hour but you need ID with your address on.

deebee
28-07-14, 11:18
I adore bubbly!
I always have a bottle in my wine rack gathering dust and waiting for an occasion
Last time we opened one was my 50th
when it gets opened I wait until a supermarket does a half price offer (paying between 10 and fifteen pounds) and put another one in its place
My current bottle has been gathering dust for 8 months so far,,so no major celebrations this year

catlover
28-07-14, 11:22
It's the principle of the thing - a glass of champers at the flower show - goes down a treat! :D

Going into the Trafford Centre shortly - now there are hundreds of scooters their that you could try out prior to buying.

£10 deposit plus £3 an hour but you need ID with your address on.

Or free if you are a member like me :D

They don't hire out the for sale scooters because I asked. I have tried out an eclipse there before but only around the entrance to the shop.

deebee
28-07-14, 11:31
I would probably have treated myself to a glass if I had gone
My bf wanted to take me to a flower show at Parkgate, but the timings of my visits and other things got in the way
Maybe next year :)

Lighttouch
28-07-14, 15:12
You didn't splash out on a glass of bubbly then

I didn't have a glass as I was hitting a Magnum!

catlover
28-07-14, 16:53
I didn't have a glass as I was hitting a Magnum!

You could have pushed the boat out and had both!

Did you go on the ferris wheel?

Lighttouch
28-07-14, 19:08
I was up for a spin on the wheel but with half the seats taken up by flowers and a double length queue I really lost interest.

If I was on my own I would have found a way to get to the front of the queue.

I've been on the wheel in Manchester - but didn't like the pod idea - prefer it to be open in summer.,

Lighttouch
04-06-15, 19:52
Another Flower show late July at Tatton Park. 241 prices if disabled. The killer is the scooter hire - £25 for the day. Why not £3 an hour as most people might only stay for half a day! Toe rags!!

AmyS
04-06-15, 20:03
Another Flower show late July at Tatton Park. 241 prices if disabled. The killer is the scooter hire - £25 for the day. Why not £3 an hour as most people might only stay for half a day! Toe rags!!

Hi Lighttouch, I responded to you on the 25-27 June 2015, Donington Park - the Derby one £25 - is totally refundable - you book and pay a deposit and then when you return the scooter - you can opt to donate it or have a refund.

Mobility Loans

Event Mobility will again be providing the mobility loans service for the 2015 Mobility Roadshow. To pre-book your electric scooter or manual wheelchair please go to our page on their website, and download the booking form or call them on 01386 725391 for booking details.

Please note : A refundable deposit of £25 is required for scooters and £10 for manual wheelchairs.

Though it is disgraceful the RHS at Tatton Park.

Wheelchairs
A limited number of electric scooters and wheelchairs are available for use at the show and can be booked by calling 0844 581 0700. A charge of £10 is made for wheelchair hire and £25 for electric scooter hire. The wheelchair collection points are located just outside the show entrances at Deer Park and Mansion House.

That is extortionate.

Lighttouch
01-07-15, 19:09
This years RHS FlowerShow will be held at Tatton Park again the end of the month. Think I'll invite mum as she's the one with green fingers. Just tried watering front border plants and succeeded in getting wet myself and nearly joining them in the border. Can't use a watering can these days as best arm uses crutch and the other arm barely works. Can be very frustrating when it's such a simple task. Grrrr.

beau
01-07-15, 19:39
Ask your lodger if she will do the watering for you, simples.

Lighttouch
02-07-15, 08:09
Ask your lodger if she will do the watering for you, simples.

Luckily there was a big storm last night so everything was well watered. I would have asked my lodger but she's away on her jollies in Devon. I'm sure she will give me a lift when she returns being the helpful type.

Lighttouch
23-07-15, 09:10
Well, it's here again! Tatton Park'sRHS Flower Show opens up to the public today and I'm taking my mum tomorrow morning as she loves anything to do with the garden.

Hope Fliss and Catlover get a look in too.

I'm hoping to buy some Lupins and giant Allium when there.

It's not going to be steaming hot this year but will take a picnic and brolley!!

Fliss
24-07-15, 05:58
Ooh, enjoy! No I'm not going this year, just didn't get organised. Last year was too hot, today should be good. But yes, I'd take a waterproof just in case.

Lighttouch
24-07-15, 08:28
Going shortly - looks a little cloudy and feels mild out. Think I;ll go in a Polo shirt and take a lightweight raincoat. There's plenty of Marquees and tented areas so fingers crossed!!

Fliss
25-07-15, 07:02
Did you enjoy it? Shame it rained, but there's still plenty to see and sometimes you can see the gardens a bit better if its wet as not so many people about.

Lighttouch
25-07-15, 08:54
Hi Fliss, I knew it would be raining by 2pm so we went early so it when it was dry.

There was no problems with traffic - we didn't queue at all. Disappointed with parking wardens who didn't know what to do when I said I needed to be near the scooter hire shop. In the end my mother asked a warden to ask if they could bring a scooter to the car which they did.

It was very, very busy. The designated pathways we travelled along were full of people walking in different directions - mum took refuge following me in the scooter.

The Flower tents were heaving too making progress difficult on a scooter so we abandoned indoor viewing.

Found a tea and coffee place to chill out ad saw all the fancy sheds and small gardens as seen on TV.

Unfortunately my mother was growing tired of fighting through the crowds and tired of marching around so we missed out on the big gardens - the very things we came to see!

So you could say it was a bit disappointing - next time I'll go on my own and then I can take as much time as I want.

catlover
25-07-15, 10:01
I went yesterday too and the weather was disappointing but my little scooter coped admirably. I'm glad I had it as it meant no walking from car to scooter hire place and I negotiated the busy paths and indoor areas with relative ease. No problem with kerbs from pathway to grass either. It even managed in the rain. It would have been nicer in the sunshine but we managed to see just about everything and I bought a few plants. And some cheese! ;) we picked the worst day to go though - weather seems good today (the sun's out at least)

We got there early - were the first in the disabled queue at this particular entrance - and didn't leave until nearly 5pm so made a day of it despite the weather. I had my obligatory glass of champagne too, although I winced at the price.

I find people are, in general, very accommodating at Tatton and happy to move out of the way to let scooters etc. pass, or squeeze under a marquee for shelter.

Lighttouch
16-07-16, 20:00
Is anyone going to Tatton Park's Fower Show next week.. I'm planning on going this coming Thursday or Friday. I'll have a spare free PA ticket for anyone who wants to come along too.

reddivine
17-07-16, 07:48
Well of course you have the Lightdrive, which means you can zoom across carparks and tootle away away. Just remeber, 8 miles max! thats 4 there and 4 back. And you can only buy as many plants as you can hold.....unless your companions carry them all.
Don't get too carried away!