PDA

View Full Version : Baby Seat for wheelchair

Gar09
21-04-14, 10:01
Hey Guys,

I have developed a baby seat that can be attached and detached to a wheelchair. The baby seat can also be moved forward and backward and rotated to the side using the adjustable clamp/clip system. Even the frame can move sideways to improve the users front vision. The frame is made out of carbon fibre while the baby seat will be made out of nylon. The infant must be under 12 months old and weigh maximum 9 kg.*The product is aesthetically-pleasing, intuitive, friendly and convenient. It is targeted at parents with disabilities who have the discomfort of having to put their child on their lap and prefer a separate seat. The aim of the product to improve the interaction between the parent and the child.

You can 3 animation videos of the product on youtube:

Link 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIdWV9woBOg
Link 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvTAurJFMh4
Link 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlRKTHUdM5w

I would really appreciate it if people could give me your perspective of the product. Below are some questions that might help.

What do you think of the concept?

Would the baby prefer to sit on the seat rather than on the parents' lap?

Will the infant be safe and not be scared especially when there is nothing below the seat?

Is it aesthetically pleasing design? Remember the seat is made of out nylon and the frame is carbon fibre

Do you think that there is market need for such a product?

Will it change the perception of people toward products aimed at disabled people?

Does it improve the emotional bond between the parent and the child?

Where on the wheelchair should the frame be attached to? Remember the clamp can be customised for different wheelchair designs.

What other desire features do you think the product should have? Customisation, Colour choices, materials, different seat designs, etc.

Is there anything else you might want the product to do?

Thanks

reddivine
22-04-14, 09:30
Okay. THAT is never gonna work because its like those wheelchair trolleys in supermarkets.... you then have a longer length and a larger turning circle, which is harder to turn corners with. If your talking MANUAL chairs the sitting person has to push their OWN weight plus weight of child and frame.
A Health and Safety course will teach you to lift heavy weight CLOSER to your body. thats why parent lift kids close to them, not at arms length. From a safety point of view the concept has the child out in front of the chair.........imagine crossing the road...trying to open doors......going up hill? or down? getting on a bus?

Flymo
22-04-14, 13:26
The potential move in the centre of gravity would risk the chair tipping over forwards, which is a nasty accident even if it happens with a sole occupant. I've gone over in chairs in all directions over the years. I went forwards out of a manual when I hit the edge of a loose paving slab at speed. I went sideways and, on a separate occasion, backwards in a power chair when I misjudged gradients. Worst of all, I got dropped backwards down a flight of stairs when being carried in a manual chair into an inaccessible building.

Another problem is that wheelchairs are class I medical devices under Directive 93/42/EEC, which imposes various regulatory requirements.

I'm not a parent, though I remember Tanni Grey-Thompson writing about using a sling to hold her daughter Carys when she was small.