PDA

View Full Version : What now for me? Ill health retired and need advise.

Tanker007
18-04-14, 16:33
Hey guys,
New to the site but i have been reading a few posts to try and get an idea of what i do next.
I finished work last Friday (12-04-14) due to IHR with lump sum ..
I am just wondering what i can do as far as work..my foot is the only problem (i cant walk too far) in my last job i walked 7 miles a day everyday.
Also should i register with the jobcentre
Is there a step by step guide anywhere that i could study.

Sorry for all the questions but i need to find a job suitable for me.
Has anyone else had a similar problem to mine?.. I would love to here what experience they have had too.

Many thanks.:)

reddivine
18-04-14, 16:43
Without knowing more about you and your disability, there is no one answer! Depend on you financial circumstances as well. Benefits won't kick in if you have copious savings. Registering with the jobcentre would be a good 1st step. Can you re-train? for a more sedentary job? they are keen on re-training.

Flymo
18-04-14, 17:09
As reddivine says, what do you want to do now? How old are you?

So far as benefits go, you can claim Contributions Based benefits based on your National Insurance contributions when you were working. If you intend actively seeking work, you can claim Contributions Based Jobseekers' Allowance, which lasts for 26 weeks. If you are unfit for all work, you can claim Contributions Based Employment and Support Allowance - but if your only problems is that you can no longer walk seven miles a day, I can't see any way that you are unfit for all work, just unfit for your previous job.

It's up to you. If you wish to work with the Jobcentre Plus and stick to a Jobseeker's Agreement, claim JSA. If not, you do not appear to be entitled to any benefits.

There are also means tested benefits, but they depend on your income and savings. Your lump sum will be taken into account here.

The best thing is to get advice from a local advice provider such as Citizen's Advice, who can go through your individual circumstances and point you to relevant local services. In the meanwhile, reflect on what you want to do now and have a look at what jobs are available locally. Do you need to retrain for those jobs?

Tanker007
20-04-14, 13:05
Thanks for your replies guys!.
I will go and see C.A. next week and see what happens from there.

your advise is much appreciated,..:-)

beau
20-04-14, 14:27
You could also try Welfare Rights who are under your county or local council. To be honest I have found them better than CAB as they have properly trained and paid advisers whereas CAB many of theirs are volunteers and training is minimal.

Tanker007
21-04-14, 22:24
You could also try Welfare Rights who are under your county or local council. To be honest I have found them better than CAB as they have properly trained and paid advisers whereas CAB many of theirs are volunteers and training is minimal.

Thanks Beau ..will do!..:-)