PDA

View Full Version : Supported employment

stree
28-03-14, 19:53
In ESA support group and on PIP care and mobility.
Thinking about a day or two a week in some sort of role (Paid) as per what you are allowed to do and earn up to £99.00.
Has anyone any experience or information about doing this?

freedomeagle
28-03-14, 21:59
I didn't think you could do any work if in the support group as most people who eventually get in it is unable to do ay sort of work. Hopefully someone on here in the know will be able to answer this will be interesting to see whats said.

stree
28-03-14, 23:58
Thats what the documentation says. I can speak, use a PC and have my wits.............So be interesting to see what the situation is. I have an appointment with the local authority adult support services April 3.
New territory, so I will report what I find out. Plus whatever you earn does not affect your benefits.

Lighttouch
29-03-14, 22:54
This is an interesting question from my point of view.

After leaving Polytechnc I joined an advertising agency asa technical drawer. At this stage I was able bodied with the world at my feet. At 19 I had a push bike accident and damaged the nerves in my neck. I was off work several weeks after major neuro surgery where I had to learn how to walk again.

The company I worked for were very small but supportive. I ended up going back to wrk for a few days then slowly built it up until I was working full time. Luckily I was living at home with my parents so had no major issue about money.

I was working at the same place for another four years when I needed another operation on my neck - more major neurosurgery. I had to learn how to walk again. The private company supported me and paid full salary while I was off.

In theory I should not have worked but because I had a draftsman type job sitting down meant I could carry on and the company benefited from my expertise. Although I was disabled I became very knowledgeable in my field. I wasn't considered to be a burden on the company but a bonus. The clients thought highly of me and the company - one because I was very knowledgeable in my field and two it looked good on the organisation for retaining a disabled wrier. In fact I never saw myself as a disabled worker but one of the team.

This was long before equal rights and quota systems for employing disabled people - I was very lucky.

Although in my 50s and having taken early medical retirement three years ago I feel lucky to have worked continuously for 36 years.

If you want to work then try it out as it's good for your wellbeing. It also educates non-disabled people to see disabled people in the workforce as normal and diverse.

If you want to work but aren't sure of the best plan on how to do it just ask - I have answers . .

Flymo
29-03-14, 23:31
I didn't think you could do any work if in the support group as most people who eventually get in it is unable to do ay sort of work. Hopefully someone on here in the know will be able to answer this will be interesting to see whats said.

In fact, it's the other way up. Those in the Support Group are not subject to the "52 weeks on, 52 weeks off" rule for work up to 16 hours per week and earnings between £20 and no more than 16 times the minimum wage.

You cannot claim ESA and work more than 16 hours per week, though it is usually possible to move from ESA to Working Tax Credit if working more than 16 hours per week. You cannot claim Working Tax Credit if you are working less than 16 hours per week, even if your earnings exceed the maximum allowed whilst claiming ESA.

stree
31-03-14, 09:47
Lighttouch,
thank you for that supportive message, I have no real desk top expertise save a stint in procurement where I was responsible for purchasing up to £1million.
My "proper" trade is in the physical realm, where alas I can no longer participate, much as I would love to.
If I get anywhere with this, I will let you know.

Flymo,
once again a fount of knowledge on the common to the more obscure working of the system, I appreciate your clarifications, as always.

stree
07-04-14, 22:49
Tomorrow I have an appointment with Adult Support Services, a local authority department. I will report back on with the score is.