PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair-Bus Accessibility Research

RSVelho
01-07-13, 14:33
Hi all!

My name is Raquel and I am a Master's student at University College London in the field of Science and Technology Studies. Currently, I am planning my Master's dissertation, and hoped it would be of interest to those in the Youreable forum.

The work I am undertaking is in collaboration with the Civil, Environmental & Geomatics Engineering department of UCL, and the Pedestrian Accessibility Movement Environment Laboratory (PAMELA). My dissertation is entitled "How to get on (with) a bus: A pilot study of wheelchair users' engagement with research on bus accessibility". Essentially, this part of my work aims to investigate how wheelchair users use the current transport system in London, what force is necessary for them to board the buses and what their experiences of the transport system is like, including what they believe should be improved. The aim of our work is to build sufficient data to justify a larger study to help design buses to be more accessible for wheelchair users.

However, for this work to move forward, we are looking for wheelchair users between the ages of 18 and 60 willing to volunteer. The study will take place in central London between the 16th-18th July. The session lasts approximately 1 hour, and volunteers will be reimbursed for their travel expenses and receive a £30 voucher to thank them for their time.

If you, or someone you know, is interested in participating, please contact me via email (raquel.velho.12@ucl.ac.uk).
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to send me a message!

Thanks for your attention!

Raquel