PDA

View Full Version : remember the mods and rockers?

laura24410
05-05-13, 14:51
Back on the forum again hoping to get some help on a quick survey
just wondering if anyone was around in the mods and rockers era in the 60's
Im a tad too young for it but am very interested in the topic and enjoy researching and reading about it
I created a questionnaire for help from people who were there and was hoping others like me would fill it in for help on my dissertation
I would appreciate peoples real life opinions

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TQXC2K9

thanks

babyblu64
06-05-13, 07:27
It seems a strange request to put on a Disability forum?

laura24410
06-05-13, 10:41
how so? .

laura24410
06-05-13, 13:42
Just trying to get a varied response if you don't wish to fill it in you don't have to.

googlybear
07-05-13, 19:28
sorry folks, but i kinda thought this was an area of the forum one could post such a question... or has it been moved here by a moderator?

Paul
07-05-13, 20:02
I agree with Googlybear.

Not everything on this forum has to be about disability and benefits. Especially as this has been posted in the survey section.

I'm sorry I can't help Laura as I too am only young.

googlybear
08-05-13, 20:42
I agree with Googlybear.

Not everything on this forum has to be about disability and benefits. Especially as this has been posted in the survey section.

I'm sorry I can't help Laura as I too am only young.

Since at least someone agrees with with, i can answer the original question...
I too am too young, but i loved the Quadrophenia movie, one of my favourites.
There was also a time in the 70s & 80s when the mods and the punk rockers were always fighting

Paul
08-05-13, 20:45
I was only born in 1980 so I can't even remember that :rolleyes:

sixchips
08-05-13, 21:01
hi i was born in 58 and loved the mods and rockers era.dont think mods fought with punks googley, think punk came in just after.

susieboots
08-05-13, 21:13
Completed the survey. Aahh memories of riding pillion on a Lambretta with loads of mirrors, fur on the backrest, and of course the obligitory Parker coat.

Paul
08-05-13, 22:26
Completed the survey. Aahh memories of riding pillion on a Lambretta with loads of mirrors, fur on the backrest, and of course the obligitory Parker coat.

I was born in the wrong era, I would have loved that. In fact my wife and I love the 60's-80's so much we keep on buying tat from that era to decorate the house

susieboots
09-05-13, 13:59
Paul, I think I was born in the wrong era too. I love everything 50s. Hey, it's not tat - it's good taste and personal choice. I don't like contemporary, and adorn my home with shabby chic (although shabby it is not!). I also love fine bone china and always use it, that's not an age thing, I have done it since in my 20s.

I wonder if guys who wear their denims below their bum, and girls with fake tan and hair extensions will look back in 30 years time with fond memories too? I hope so, we should all have good memories of our younger years.

googlybear
10-05-13, 21:42
hi i was born in 58 and loved the mods and rockers era.dont think mods fought with punks googley, think punk came in just after.

No, i'm really sure, of course it wasn't the original mods, it was a new generation, running around with their Parkas and Vespas...
Born in 69, I was a Rude Boy in the 80s, flat-top and all, i had plenty of mates who were punks or mods, of course they weren't mates with each other...

sixchips
10-05-13, 22:19
hi googley , looking back think your right,i was on about 80s, madness, sham69 etc, and yes punks were around with mods,think by this time rockers were a thing of the past.

Katana
11-05-13, 02:59
I was born in 59 so missed the original mod/rocker era, Dad was in the RAF so we lived overseas a lot, but upon return to UK in 75 ish and at age 16 I knew I wanted a Motorcycle and at 17 got my first one and rode for as long as I could before my disability kicked in, but yeah I do remember a sort of Mod revival in the early 80's and in Aberdeen near where I live there were a few rallies of Mods, remember going into a record store in Aberdeen in 1980 one day with my Biker leather jacket on and asking for the latest UFO album (UFO are/were a sort of rock group Mods frowned upon) the owner of the store was happy to help but the other guy talking to him was a Mod ... if looks could kill, I walked out of the store sharpish!

A while later a brave lad in my actual smaller home town got one of the Lambretta Scooters, with all those mirrors and aerials, one night he drove by the the park where we all hanged out, like a red rag to a bull I guess, so we all mounted up and followed him out of town ... those scooters were pretty slow and unstable so our big Jap large cc 4 cylinder bikes had no problem catching up, we all followed behind on full beam headlights and it must have been dazzling with all his mirrors, occasionally one of the guys would ride along side and twang one of his aerials or try to snatch the keys out of the ignition, all pretty harmless so far but one of my friends went too far and rode alongside and booted him, the poor guy wobbled all over the road and crashed into a ditch and we all screamed off into the night!

A day or so later we heard through the grapevine the poor guy was terrified and sold his scooter soon after, shame really, but this is a true story of the Mod revival days in my town.

After that the whole Mod/Rocker revival thing seemed to peter out and we as Bikers grew up too and went on to better things with our Bikes.

When I think back to that, it was pure tribalism and we were doing what we were sort of conditioned to do on both sides I guess?

PS: if anyone wondered where my name Katana came from, its from an 80's Motorcycle, her's me on it in 84.

googlybear
13-05-13, 10:13
Aberdeen? I used to work on the Green Market, on a cake stall at the bottom of the stairs behind what was then a Boots store.
We caught all the passing trade as that was the main route from Union St over to the bus/train stations.