PDA

View Full Version : Updating the Youreable forum

administrator
26-02-13, 13:34
We are currently in the process of updating the Youreable forum template that controls how the forum looks and works. The new template will update security and usability issues and have additional links to further information, however the design should stay the same. The service may be disrupted for a number of hours but please let us know if the change causes any usability issues. Thank you for your patience.

The upgraded template has an option that could be used to optimise the site when you are viewing it from a Smartphone. However before we decide whether to use this (it would take some time for us to design and test it) we would like to know how many of you would use it. Please take a moment to complete the poll:

Would you use the site from a mobile?
If you are already using it from a mobile do you find it usable as it is or would you appreciate a mobile version of the site?

Lighttouch
28-02-13, 11:27
We are currently in the process of updating the Youreable forum template that controls how the forum looks and works. The new template will update security and usability issues and have additional links to further information, however the design should stay the same. The service may be disrupted for a number of hours but please let us know if the change causes any usability issues. Thank you for your patience.

The upgraded template has an option that could be used to optimise the site when you are viewing it from a Smartphone. However before we decide whether to use this (it would take some time for us to design and test it) we would like to know how many of you would use it. Please take a moment to complete the poll:

Would you use the site from a mobile?
If you are already using it from a mobile do you find it usable as it is or would you appreciate a mobile version of the site?

That's interesting. I've never bothered to view the site via a smartphone. However I do have about 90 Apps to access all sorts of things from retailers, banks, games to news, facebook Twitter etc.

Presently I use an Iphone5 and I designed a website for a voluntary group specifically so it worked across different mobile devices. However I don't know too much about HTML so I used WordPress responsive theme.

As to how many people own a smartphone and have access to fast broadband is another matter. I'm using the 4G wi-fi network so download etc is especially quick.

A lot of disabled people rely on the internet for cheap social interaction. nIn your shoes I'd invest in future technology and create a mobile friendly version that doesn't time out quickly!

Good luck.

Paul
28-02-13, 12:42
I agree with Lighttouch.

You missed an answer on your poll though "I us my smartphone to view webpages all the time and would view youreable more often if there was a mobile version".

You may find that the answer "I do not plan to use the site from a mobile" is the most popular choice as smartphones are still very pricy and most on low incomes won't see the benefits, but investing in creating a mobile version will open Youreable up to more users, especially those who embrace new technology.

administrator
02-03-13, 13:26
Thank you both, and thank you to everyone who voted. We have added the extra option to the poll (had to change the wording slightly as there is a 100 character limit).
Yes we need to invest in new technology and open Youreable up to more users so we will add the mobile version but taking into account the poll results so far we will do some other work (on www.dlf.org.uk and www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk) first and come back to it (within six months). We have already made a mobile version of www.asksara.org.uk (http://www.asksara.org.uk) (using html5) and would welcome any feedback.

Thanks again

Admin

googlybear
13-05-13, 10:30
I have a basic mobile which i can use for calls and texts, nothing else.
I once tried to use a friends Blackberry(?) to check on the football scores, couldn't figure it out...

Lighttouch
08-06-13, 08:30
This is quite interesting.

There is a trend that people prefer to use tablets/ipads to a desktop PC.

I use an Apple Imac as it's the best platform for creatives. I also use a smartphone as stated before.

More and more companies are going digital and unless retailers get on board with an online presence they'll soon go bust.

One massive area of growth is 'Apps' for tablets and smartphones - they are brilliant! I can check my bank account, shop at Debhenhams, check Metrolink times, hourly weather, facebook, twitter, BBC News/Sports, youTube, email accounts, SMS Text etc in fact I have over 100 Apps on my phone which means I don't need to be stuck indoors to access information.

But be warned! I deliberately bought a phone that was 4G enabled. And I used the network supplier EE on their 4GEE network - the fastest mobile 4G network in the country - it works 5 times quicker than the 3G network.

Hopefully by the end of this year 97% of the country will be covered by wireless broadband.

From Youreable's point of view it should think in terms of producing an Apple and Android App initially for tablets as more people are buying these and connecting to their home wireless broadband router.

You can still gain acess to free wi-fi hotspots in your area at places like Tesco and coffee shops.

Smartphone technology isn't cheap - you may think you only need a mobile for calls and texting but they open a whole new world of experienes and I couldn't do without mine.

reddivine
27-03-14, 10:46
Also the not insignificant factors of a smartphone is STILL small screen and if you have visual problems or if your hands shake, it is STILL easier to use a pc keyboard. and personally, I can't txt while moving. I have to sit down and even on a train the vibrations will make me mis-type.

catlover
24-04-14, 07:19
I use my phone to view webpages a lot of the time. If I go out anywhere I have to stop and sit down a lot so I tend to get my phone out and use that time to go online. I also tend to use it in the evenings because it's to hand when often my laptop isn't. I currently have an iphone 4s. I thought I didn't need and couldn't afford a smartphone. Now I don't know how anyone manages without one!

galeforce81
24-04-14, 11:52
I have a Nokia Windows Smart Phone and I can and do view this site on my phone.

The only problem is for some reason I cant use my phone to reply to threads. As soon as I click on the window to make a reply it jumps straight off it. The keyboard doesn't come up on the phone.

I have no problem with the other sites I use and can reply to threads on them, its just this site that I'm having problems with.

Don't know if there's anything I can do.

Its a shame as I use my phone to use this site nearly as much as I use my laptop and sometimes when I want to reply to a thread that I've seen on my phone. I don't end up doing so when I use my laptop.

Flymo
24-04-14, 13:28
Is there another browser you can install on your phone? I don't use Windows Phone (my phone is Android, as are all the other tablets and mobile phones in the family), but there may be an alternative browser in the app store.

I use Firefox on my laptop, and Firefox on my phone. I find Firefox much better than the built-in Android browser. Chrome is another good option on Android.

reddivine
04-07-14, 07:19
Can anyone tell me how we upload additional pics to our profile? I get how to upload profile pic and did so. but i note theres a section saying 2photos" but no obvious instructions and no one I looked at seemed to have added any?!!

Lighttouch
04-07-14, 11:34
Log-n
Click on your name
Click on the word ‘settings’ located top right in blue lettering.
Click on ‘Edit Profile Picture’ highlighted in blue text under ‘My Settings’ on left column.
Under ‘Custom Profile Picture’ Option 2- Upload Image from your computer. Max size 100 x 100 pixels or no bigger file than 64kb

Reddivine you’ll need to edit your chosen photo or graphic and manually resize it using a dialogue box in a suitable editing software like Photoshop elements or similar.

When you go to image size keep the resolution at 72dpi. Uncheck the 'Scale size' box.
Make sure you make the widest edge of the image no bigger than 100 pixels.
Re-check the 'Scale Sizes' box
Then save - job done!

reddivine
30-07-14, 16:33
Just to charify lightouch....that ain't me! and it sure ain;t you!!!

Lighttouch
30-07-14, 17:03
Just to charify lightouch....that ain't me! and it sure ain;t you!!!

It's a photo of my cleaner - you know the usual teeth in, curlers out.

Lighttouch
01-09-14, 09:54
I think it would be a good idea to conduct a new survey to find out how many members now use a smartphone.

Pinklover
01-09-14, 20:29
I use a smart phone to view this site. I would love a mobile version.

Lighttouch
01-09-14, 20:43
I use a smart phone to view this site. I would love a mobile version.

Hi Pinklover, since conducting the survey they have brought out a mobile version of the forum. The only downside is you can't add or download photos.

If you view the full site on your mobile you have to pinch the screen to enlarge the text.

I think more people will jump to smartphones once the price drops a little.

Another plus point is the new super fast wifi 4G network can be accessed by everyone if they have a 4G enabled phone that is made for downloading big files found in films, some photos and music.

beau
01-09-14, 21:51
Well I for one have no intention of getting a smart phone. If there is no other option I will go without. It is not all that many years ago when mobiles became commonplace. How did life manage without them? Perfectly well. I, for one, don't want to be at the beck and call of all 24/7 although I do admit they are handy for emergencies.

Lighttouch
02-09-14, 07:24
Beau I used to own a mobile phone that just sent texts or made a call - the Nokia 3040 - I rarely used it. The first smartphone I bought was Apple's 3G iPhone. I was what they call an early adopter.
Today's smartphones have come of age due to fast connectivity. And the development of Apps.
Useful features I use daily -
Internet, email, twitter, used to pay for coffee contactless, online banking, playing music and digital radio through a speaker via Bluetooth. I use Google map for navigation, the torch at night, the camera, voice recognition software to speed up typing ...
The world is your oyster with a smartphone.

beau
02-09-14, 07:44
LT, there is no way I could even cope with a smartphone. I can't even use a touch screen, no feeling in my finger ends. If I want to use the internet I will do it at home sitting in comfort. I don't listen to music, watch films or even TV so one would be of no use to me.
In fact the simple phone I have now got is only used for emergencies, usually of the medical kind. I can live without much of this new technology as due to severe memory problems I can't remember how to do anything and get very confused.
As I have said, I do not want to be at the beck and call all of the time.

catlover
02-09-14, 08:05
I was exactly like you, beau! Granted my previous phone was actually one of the early smartphones (I forget the model - it was a nokia) but I didn't particularly buy it for that and after the initial excitement that it could be used to send emails (although at snail mail pace) I just used it to phone and text for about 10 years. Then I wanted to change my phone plan and needed to unlock it but it was too old to be unlocked! So I started looking at newer handsets but was adamant I didn't want or need a smartphone. A couple of people did mention various smartphones to me and how great they were but I wasn't having any of it. Then an iphone 4 appeared on our works intranet for sale second hand and for some reason I decided I wanted it and impulsively put in an offer for it! That deal actually fell through but suddenly nothing but an iphone would do. I eventually bought a 4s from a friend who had only had it about 7 months but was upgrading to something with a bigger screen. And I was instantly in love! :D Before long I didn't know how anybody could possibly live without one! It really is so useful. It's a phone and sends texts of course. But it's also a calendar, diary, shopping list and I have daily reminders set to remind me to take my medication. I use it to listen to music on the way to work, I very rarely use the laptop for emails as they pop up on my phone so I can pick emails up wherever I am, I have loads of camera apps to play with when I don't have my digital slr with me, I check the weather, browse the internet when I'm out and about (with my walking so poor I have to stop to sit down or for a coffee whenever I'm out unless I have a scooter so it's useful to make use of that time). I've got into twitter (just following organisations that I'm interested in) - I used to think twitter was just for "following" inane celebrities but it's not and can be really useful for finding out what's happening with organisations or people that you are interested in. I read books on it using kindle and ibooks apps (I didn't think that would work on such a small screen but it is actually easier than I thought). It's amazing how much I use it for. The world certainly is your oyster with a smartphone! Yes I managed for years without it (and for years without a mobile phone at all) but it certainly makes my life easier.

beau
02-09-14, 15:07
TBH, I rarely use my mobile at all. I find no need to and if I am out I am out for a purpose, not to be surfing the net or emailing folk. If I want to say something I speak to them, much more personal. Not interested in taking photos either.
Reminders for me have to be written in large letters somewhere I can't miss them. If I had an alarm reminder I forget that it has gone off as soon as it goes off. Tried that for my meds and it doesn't work.

Each to their own plus the use it would get I couldn't warrant the expense even PAYG or contract. I put £10 on my phone every 6 or 7 months. Just shows how much I use it.
To be honest I would much rather spend my money on something that gives me pleasure. The phone is for emergency use only.

At the end of the day we did manage quite easily without them for donkeys years.

nukecad
02-09-14, 19:29
Hi beau,

I was the same as yourself and catlover, avoided having a moblle for years.
But then I started making quite a few calls and realised just how much I was putting in BT callboxes.

So I bought a basic mobile (£15) on PAYG. After using this for six months or so I realised that for what I was still spending on calls (wasnt even using text then) I could get a contract phone. No real change in call charges but I got a shiny new phone and a new one every year.

So things have moved on and smartphones are now on the scene.

I now use my phone mostly to send texts, usually followed by a call when you know the person at the other end is available.
But also use the alarm, calender, calculator, etc.
Don't use the camera much, still prefer to have a good camera with a good lens. (OK I still prefer film to digital).

But I will use the internet on the phone, especially when I can hook into free wifi.

My basic contract is less than £10 per month, 500 mins calls, 100 texts, hardly ever use that.
I usually end up paying about £13:50 because of VAT, a few other options, and maybe I've been online.
You can get contracts from most providers that will be similar.

I realise that this is more than you are paying for calls currently on PAYG.

But I look at it a different way, I have a brand new up to date phone that would cost a couple of hundred pounds to buy, I'm paying for it monthly at about £13 a month for 12-18 months depending on the contract not too bad for an HP deal, and so calls, texts, and most internet use are for free.
And then I get a new phone and can give the the current one to a family member/friend or sell it if I want to and get some money back.

beau
02-09-14, 21:11
I can see your reasoning but I do prefer to use my landline as we have a decent package on that costing about £20 a month including most calls anytime and our broadband. By my reckoning it is cheaper for us to do it this way. My current phone is about 4 years old and it does what I want it to. Until it stops working I will stick with it then just buy another cheap basic one. More cost effective for me if I don't want it for anything more than emergencies, like ringing the dog warden yesterday when I caught a stray dog whilst out. Lovely friendly creature who was obviously well looked after, that I suspect had got out accidently.

I am not bothered about a brand new up to date phone as I know I wouldn't be able to cope with its facilities, basic does me.
No way would I change to mobile only.

catlover
03-09-14, 06:27
I only have a mobile phone. Not had a landline for years. After having mobile broadband for a few years I ended up paying for a landline just to have decent broadband (already had sky tv so just went for the whole package). Bit of a pain to have to pay line rental just for that but I don't have a handset connected. I can do everything I want on my mobile for £10 a month.

The thing to be a bit wary of with PAYG which you only use for emergencies is that many providers have a time limit on how long you can keep credit. If you don't use it within a certain time period you lose it. I think this is becoming increasingly common as they don't make any money from people who just top up now and again :eek:

beau
03-09-14, 07:14
I do know that you lose the credit if the phone not used. What I do is ring my landline every week and don't answer it. This keeps the credit active.

nukecad
03-09-14, 12:30
I do know that you lose the credit if the phone not used. What I do is ring my landline every week and don't answer it. This keeps the credit active.

Good tip.

I'm sure others will find that useful.

Lighttouch
03-09-14, 16:05

This is interesting as my mum has my old Nokia and still uses the same PAYG Orange plan on my old phone number. As you say Catlover the plan is so old the credit is retained each month. She still has £Q50 credit. I leant that my mum was topping the phone up when the digital visible battery bars were reducing!! She very rarely uses it - kept for emergencies.
I pay £13 pm for unlimited texts, unlimited emails, 500mb of memory which is fine as I also use wifi free hot spots as well as home router to access 4G wi-fi through EE.

It's all wonderful stuff!

jdtaylor
09-11-14, 11:17
On that note if you want it Three have very good unlimited data plans and the data connection speed has normally been fast, I've even achieved 8mb download speed on 3g in the middle of the countryside.