PDA

View Full Version : DLA and working

halelc0
09-02-13, 22:48
I have been on DLA for about 20 years (high rate mobility and middle rate carers) I had an accident as a child (6 months old) and had 3 toes amputated through hospital negligence and skin grafts and operations until I was 15 years old. I have been to posture clinics/chiropodists since I was 18 (very embarrasing) and have problems with my walking and feet for again 20 years. I have now suffered from depression for 10 years, I feel it is due to not working no social contact anymore and it is only getting worse. I am married with 2 grown up children and now feel if I do not get out in the real world again then my life is not worth living anymore. I have been doing my husbands book work since July this year (of which I informed DLA) but again Im alone doing this. I was informed from the man at DLA that I could do my husbands book work (of which I do not take a wage) as I am sitting down and it would not be a problem. So my question is I have applied for 2 vacancies recently (very daunting after all these years) the one I would love to be in was at a doctors surgery of which I explained to them my situation ie I needed to be seated whilst working etc so if I was offered this job do you think I would be ok seeing as I would be in the best place possible ie a doctors surgery for carers help that I receive. I will be contacting dla should I be offered this position, but I am so worried that I could loose my dla if I accepted it. If there advice is no then it would mean the rest of my life isolated from society due to an acccident I had at such a young age it seems so unfair. Any advice would be so much appreciated.

Paul
09-02-13, 22:57
DLA is not a means tested benefit which means you can work without losing it.

I work upwards of 40 hours a week at a desk. I'm a qualified electrical/aerospace engineer and was working with my hands until my mid-20s, I then (after becoming disabled with spinal arthritis) retrained by going to University and qualifying as a Professional Engineer so I could get a desk job. I would have gone mad if I couldn't have carried on working, I have done since I left school.

I would start slowly if they will let you as it will take time (a few weeks maybe) to get used to full-time hours.

Oh, and well done and good luck with your new job.

Edit:
Also contact Access to Work who will help with any adjustments that you need for your desk arrangements, it's a free service with brilliant people who will come and assess your needs. https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview

halelc0
10-02-13, 09:16
Many thanks for the reply Paul, it seems dla is now such a mine field, if I do not manage to acquire these jobs oh by the way they are both (part time). My next thought would be childminding as I would have to do numerous courses/school runs and I would be meeting other child minders (hence getting me out of the house) What are your thoughts on this?? Many Thanks Hayley

Fibrogal1955
10-02-13, 13:14
Receptionist job sounds better to me Hayley,mixing with people and being in a safe environment,doing a worthwhile job.
Not that childminding isnt!.You would still be 'at home'have to have insurance to cover,home visits/checks.Dont forget small ones need a lot of time on your feet so the other job sounds good to me,also you could train to become a medical secretary or practice manager,do first aid course.Best of luck whatever you decide,having the DLA behind you will be good.Dont forget thats also under a big shakeup and people are being interviewed for this changing to PIP.Maz x

beau
10-02-13, 13:18
You also have to be OFSTED inspected. Don't go down that nightmare road/

Paul
10-02-13, 14:29
Hi Hayley,

Stick with the surgery job. I volunteer at my local surgery so I can't see you having any difficulties.
Child-minding is a very tough job, I know I couldn't do it even though I love kids.

Fibrogal1955
10-02-13, 15:31
Dont forget you can do voluntary work.Put your name down for your local hospitals voluntary schemes,charity shops,wrvs,reading aide at school.Class asst.Helping at your local animal centre I know mine is always looking for people to help out.Delivering meds to people at home.Calling on elderly/lonely folk at home.

Paul
10-02-13, 17:18
This is the place to go for volunteering http://www.do-it.org.uk/ opportunities with charities.