PDA

View Full Version : Shall I tell my new manager about my health?

wazza
18-01-13, 16:54
Shall I tell my new manager about my health?

Have been working since last Sept and it has improved my outlook in life. Had been suffering from depression. Since employment I have stopped taking depression tablets. Currently am taking strong medication for something else. I love my job.

Last week I took some strong painkillers which left me feeling dizzy and drowsy. Had to take time off work. Have a new manager who started few weeks before and seems very approachable. Should I tell him about my medications etc so he is aware next time?

Lighttouch
18-01-13, 17:40
I think it would be in your interest to tell your manager that you are bipolar and on anti-depressants. Or that you have been taking pain killers for another reason.

What you have to remember is that managers and Human Resources look for patterns of illness like being ill on a Monday - they aren't daft.

Sickness monitoring is very high on organisations lists because when they have to let staff go eg redundancies - they take individuals sickness levels into account.

If, however, your sickness is related to your impairment then the manager wouldn't know this unless you brought it to their attention. If you have certain impairments you are covered under legislation - the DDA.

If you think you might need extra support and you've had your impairment longer than a year you could self-refer to JobcentrePlusb's 'Access to Work'. After an intial phone call they may send out an assessor of your workstation to identify the barriers to work. https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work/overview

wazza
18-01-13, 17:46
HR know about my disability and what medication I am on. Had to fill in the medical questionaire when I accepted the job offer.

Will give my manager a brief chat and take it from there.

wobble1
19-01-13, 11:26
I totally disagree with lightouch's advice.
I think you are looking into this way too much and taking time off because you had a bad day due to pain and subsequent bad reaction to pain meds is irrelevant.
How many people suffer from mild depression and take the odd day off due to other everyday medical things.
I certainly would not discuss my personal life with anyone and especially not a manager and one I'd only known a short time.
You love your job, it has turned round your life, come off meds for depression and there has been no problems for you or for them apart from taking a day off, from this I can't see any issues only pluses, unless there is something else you have not said.
Don't forget if this manager is not a nice person it may back fire on you. Tell them if there is a real problem but I can't see that problem from what you say.

wazza
19-01-13, 23:45
Thanks for the reply. Like everything in life there are two sides to a coin. Initally I was just happy in having the HR being aware of my problems (through filling medical questionaire) and keeping my problems to myself in office. People are aware I am disabled etc and have been good in making allowance. They are not aware what medications or pain I am going through daily etc.

I will just go to work and see if anyone asks etc.

wobble1
21-01-13, 10:13
Thanks for the reply. Like everything in life there are two sides to a coin. Initally I was just happy in having the HR being aware of my problems (through filling medical questionaire) and keeping my problems to myself in office. People are aware I am disabled etc and have been good in making allowance. They are not aware what medications or pain I am going through daily etc.

I will just go to work and see if anyone asks etc.
It seems that your main concern is having taken some time off recentely. If this was a few days then this is not a problem, if it was longer then you would have to provide a GP's note which would state the reasons.
I do think you are reading too much into this. IMHO
All the best

wazza
21-01-13, 21:47
You got it spot on. Don't know why i feel the need to justify myself? Make sure everyone is happy with me. I should just go to work and get on with work.

I had 4 days off sick last week. Today took day off as holiday due to snow. Plan to go in tomorrow weather permitting.

wobble1
22-01-13, 10:41
Don't know why i feel the need to justify myself? Make sure everyone is happy with me.
It's a side affect of our situation, sadly brought about by peoples attitudes and lack of knowledge and understanding.
You actually have as much worth as anyone......believe it or not;)
All the best for the future

wazza
22-01-13, 21:55
Well went in to work and it was as if nothing much happened. Naturally people I know asked what happened and was glad that I was back at work etc

Really had nothing much to worry about.

wobble1
22-01-13, 22:39
Well went in to work and it was as if nothing much happened. Naturally people I know asked what happened and was glad that I was back at work etc

Really had nothing much to worry about.
Happy endings.............don't you just luv 'em, carefull they may become addictive.