PDA

View Full Version : discrimination?

ksyrad
15-10-12, 11:48
Hi, I am a sociology student at University and am planning to do my dissertation on the discrimination that people with disabilities endure. I am interested to know whether people with disabilities feel that they are protected by the Equality Act or not. I would really appreciate if anyone could express their opinions and views on my topic. Thank you.

wobble1
16-10-12, 09:02
Hi, I am a sociology student at University and am planning to do my dissertation on the discrimination that people with disabilities endure. I am interested to know whether people with disabilities feel that they are protected by the Equality Act or not. I would really appreciate if anyone could express their opinions and views on my topic. Thank you.
I guess it comes down to what you define as a disability. The general publics definition would be, especially at this time, a paralympian, someone with a visible disability but able to to live a fairly able life style.
There are far more people whose illness makes them unable to live an able life yet probably wouldn't be "classed" as disabled and as such may not be considered to come under the Equality act.
I may be wrong but it sounds as if you are looking for the stereo typical wheelchair user not having access to certain choices, where as in reality the biggest victims of discrimination are those who have to rely on benefits to live. The perpertrators of this vile discrimination is the Government itself, cutting benefits through their partner in crime ATOS and in their terminology such as "benefit scroungers and cheats", which has led to a huge increase in disabilty hate crime.
Nearly a dissertation in itself. Good luck with your studies.

Briland
22-02-13, 15:50
Hi I Suffer from Chronic Post-traumatic stress disorder I was hoping for help here to what is a Hate crime or incident?
I have a nasty neighbour who is very aggressive and is making my live hell. He knows and understands my condition very well
Whilst he was in my home I recorded him on my smartphone say in the following and also using his hands and fingers to point and show me the following:
I can mention a name to you now mates in Peterborough and whole of Peterborough knows him. And he is in and out of prison all the time like. You know what he was in prison for he is about 5.5 foot. He’s a traveller I’m on about. You know what he was in for you won’t like this. This bloke is about 6.5 ft. and is a bouncer. He put him out of the club I ant going to mention names but I know through my sister. (He points at me) he is about your height. He went back to that place the following week. Walked to the big guy bouncer stabbed him there (points to Brian’s body first there, stomach, points to chest, points to neck on Brian). And slashed his face both sides (Joe explains while swiping his fingers pointing his fingers at Brian’s scars /face in a slash motion). They couldn’t find him for six months but do you know what he got for that five year. He said he could do it standing on his head. He said he has come out five weeks ago. And he walks by the club every Friday night with about ten of his mates when they are up town drinking and they deliberately walk by that club to see if the bouncer is there. And they have only seen him there once and all his face is all scarred up.
They keep going to like (and Joe makes to slash signs on his own face).
plus being discrimination? by housing and police

Paul
22-02-13, 16:09
Yes that is a disability hate crime. Report it to the police straight away.