PDA

View Full Version : disabled are work being unfair!!!!

wendy111
04-02-11, 17:15
hello can anyone please help any advice or help would be very gratefull. i have worked for a very large supermarket for the last 11 years . over the last 5 years i have become disabled i i do get dla and had my hour ajusted and dropped a few years ago . i have been more than fair with them giving them all the information on my problems . over the last 18 months my job has been increasingley more difficult for me as its quite physical and because i have arthritis of the spine and curviture i have found the job has been causeing my back to flaire up more causeing more time of work , i have been of work since sept 2010 and ready to go back i have explained to them if i was not doing this job and if i could have a desk job i wouldnt have as many absences !!! i had a meeting today with the occupatinal therapist at work who asked what sort of work could i do in the company i explained cash office, admin ,reception , customer service desk was told could not do customer service desk as no chair allowed felt this to be unfair . then she said there was no available hours that i had to go on 6 months health care leave unpaid no hol pay no sick pay if i do that and no guarentee of the hours at the end of it can they do this ? i feel very upset that they are just trying to get rid of me and not helping me at all do i have any rights ? and can they do this ? sorry my post is very long winded but any advice would apreciated thank you wendy sorry for spelling spell check couldnt get it to work !!!

andypandy
04-02-11, 20:12
Hello Wendy

I think you need to get some advice from CAB or are you in any Union with work ?

How about ACAS too http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

wendy111
05-02-11, 21:25
hi no not in a union , can anyone ring acas for advice ? cab are so hard to get hold of in this area but will give it a go thanks

andypandy
06-02-11, 15:35
as far as I know anyone can ring for advice. I have a problem with my PA and will be ringing them myself on Tuesday. I have spoken to them in the past and they were very good. Good luck, let us know how you get on

wendy111
06-02-11, 15:54
will be ringing them tomorrow will let you no how i get on thanks

Account removed
07-02-11, 10:52
ACAS will not do much except send you a lot of leaflets....

Now then what you can do is have a word with the Job center, disability employment adviser, they can speak to the retail manager about getting you sorted out. And if it ends up going to a tribunal they will speak at the tribunal for you.

Also you must keep a diary of whom you speak to, when and what was the out come, because if things do not work out you will need all this information.

If in the end you cannot get help then you will need to see a solicitor, it will cost in some cases sometimes you can get 30 minutes free, they can then tell you how to take the next step.

I would join a Union it's not to late, all this would be free from solicitors to tribunals to seeking legal advice.

andypandy
07-02-11, 19:19
I can only speak from personal experience and found ACAS to be helpful, but your advice is good treborc

frogster
08-02-11, 14:25
I agree with treborc and andypandy. ACAS has useful advice. But you must write everything down. Notes of every meeting, dates and names.

Good luck and let us know what is happening. Most of the time you can work these things out. Big companies do not want problems. Once they see that you are going to stand up for yourself they will take you seriously. What is happening is certainly unfair and probably when you talk to somebody more senior about the issue a suitable job will appear for you.

wendy111
11-02-11, 00:05
hi thanks for all your replys this is an up date of whats happened next after haveing interview with ot at work i rang my people manager today . i explained how my meeting went with the ot and that i was not very happy in the way that i was spoken to or happy at the out come . she was very nice but said she was haveing difficultys because there was no hours on any departments i find this hard to belive really!!!!! i said what about cash office was told this would not be suitable for me !!! how would she no this i said u are only persuming my capabilitys can i try it !! in the next breath she said well i am in a sticky position and i have infact contacted a company called remploy who are coming out next wednesday to see me to give me advice also she had contacted disability advisor at job centre plus but she had not got back to her yet . if i had not rang her i said i would not of known of this meeting she then said i could come along !!!! so i now have a meeting next week i am hopeing it will help and i hope i will not feel bullied or intimmidated in this meeting but i will be putting ideas forward , i dont really no what remploy can do for me or the company any advice there will be welcome i will keep u informed thanks wendy

Account removed
11-02-11, 10:46
Remploy use to be a good solid disability charity, it's not anymore it's a hard headed business now, in no way shape or form can this lot be called a charity. I can tell you what will happen at your meeting this group will point out the laws to you, what you can do or cannot do, they are now basically working for the employers.

You really do need to get into the Union, and ask them to attend with you, you need somebody like a shop steward with you, I've had a few outings with Remploy, calling them a charity is a down right sham.

Duncan
11-02-11, 13:37
hi thanks for all your replys this is an up date of whats happened next after haveing interview with ot at work i rang my people manager today . i explained how my meeting went with the ot and that i was not very happy in the way that i was spoken to or happy at the out come . she was very nice but said she was haveing difficultys because there was no hours on any departments i find this hard to belive really!!!!! i said what about cash office was told this would not be suitable for me !!! how would she no this i said u are only persuming my capabilitys can i try it !! in the next breath she said well i am in a sticky position and i have infact contacted a company called remploy who are coming out next wednesday to see me to give me advice also she had contacted disability advisor at job centre plus but she had not got back to her yet . if i had not rang her i said i would not of known of this meeting she then said i could come along !!!! so i now have a meeting next week i am hopeing it will help and i hope i will not feel bullied or intimmidated in this meeting but i will be putting ideas forward , i dont really no what remploy can do for me or the company any advice there will be welcome i will keep u informed thanks wendy

Check this site. It will tell you where you can get Employment Law advice which is what you need.

http://www.communitylegaladvice.org.uk/en/about/

Account removed
19-02-11, 16:58
Sadly lets hope they can keep going after the changes to legal aid comes in, cuts to funding are already seeing places like this close.

the best bet if you cannot get this is, of course the CAB

wendy111
21-03-11, 23:34
hi my up date so far had meeting with remploy and my people manager i have been back to work for 2 weeks now the support has been brilliant new chair cost company 1000 pound !!! another colleauge helping me and gone back doing short shifts and can up my hours when i feel ready !! remploy have been fab and helped me greatly so please dont belive everything you read

Account removed
22-03-11, 11:23
Where did Remploy come into this

Lighttouch
05-04-11, 07:17
hi my up date so far had meeting with remploy and my people manager i have been back to work for 2 weeks now the support has been brilliant new chair cost company 1000 pound !!! another colleauge helping me and gone back doing short shifts and can up my hours when i feel ready !! remploy have been fab and helped me greatly so please dont belive everything you read

As you contacted Job CentrePlus about your back issue they've been in touch with 'Access to Work'.
http://research.dwp.gov.uk/asd/workingage/index.php?page=ib_ref_atw

Somebody no doubt came out to see you to assess what 'reasonable adjustments' could be made to your work station under the Disability Discrimination Act DDA.
http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advice-and-guidance/your-rights/disability/disability-in-employment/

So now you've been supplied with a custom built chair that will feel like heaven.

Does it look like this by any chance?
http://www.back2.co.uk/Ergonomic-Chairs/Office-Chairs/Grahl-Duo-Back-Type-11-Office-Chair-p265.html

andypandy
05-04-11, 13:16
Where did Remploy come into this

They came into it because you slagged them off

Account removed
05-04-11, 20:31
Temper temper.....

Jayde38
01-09-11, 19:32
I too am having problems at work. I work for the Ministry of Justice and have done for many years. Recently I moved offices and have been having problems with my new managers. When I requested reasonable adjustments I was told they could not be accommodated. Instead it was suggested to me that I should apply for Voluntary redundancy. As a result of the lack of reasonable adjustments I have been put onto a performance improvement plan (the step before dismissal). In the meantime the voluntary redundancy is being pushed constantly. This is putting me under s great deal of pressure and affecting my health. I approached our personnel department but they referred me back to the managers (who are ther problem). I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have been to the union but they are worthless.

Does anyone know any good disability lawyers in London?

Thanks

andypandy
03-09-11, 16:44
Hello Jayde38

You may be better off starting a new thread as this one started back earlier this year.

Sorry I don't live in London.

How about the CAB though ?

Andy

beau
03-09-11, 17:16
Contact the Disability Adviser at your local JC+ who will probably be able to advise on what to do as there is a legal responsibilty to accommadate you.
Do you think this is bullying tactics to make you give in and leave because of the savings that are having to be made?

Duncan
08-09-11, 13:11
I too am having problems at work. I work for the Ministry of Justice and have done for many years. Recently I moved offices and have been having problems with my new managers. When I requested reasonable adjustments I was told they could not be accommodated. Instead it was suggested to me that I should apply for Voluntary redundancy. As a result of the lack of reasonable adjustments I have been put onto a performance improvement plan (the step before dismissal). In the meantime the voluntary redundancy is being pushed constantly. This is putting me under s great deal of pressure and affecting my health. I approached our personnel department but they referred me back to the managers (who are ther problem). I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have been to the union but they are worthless.

Thanks

It's ironic that you work for the ministry of justic and they are ignoring your rights! Contact your Union Rep and demand to see a union employment law solicitor as I am sure you have rights under the disability discrimination act re making adjustments at work. From what you say about how you are being treated, I would say your employer is building up a case of cunstructive dismissal that you can sue them for at an Industrial Tribunal. Contact ACAS for free advice.

Disability Discrimination act info;
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/RightsAndObligations/DisabilityRights/DG_4001068

Constructive dismissal info. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/RedundancyAndLeavingYourJob/Dismissal/DG_10026696

ACAS - http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1461

Duncan
23-09-11, 08:15
Jayde38. Any update? Did you resolve your problem?

Jayde38
15-02-12, 20:32
Hi Duncan, thanks for the message. Unfortunately not. It is still ongoing.

Regards
Jayde

Lighttouch
15-02-12, 22:24

Regards
Jayde

Hi Jayde, are you off on sick leave now? You were obviously advised to contact 'Access to Work' that's why they made 'reasonable adjustments' and got you an ergonomic chair to ease your back problem.

So give us an update of your position.

Are you working part time.
Have they offered you an alternative post . . .

pdtscully
24-03-12, 01:57

ThanksI really hope Jayde38 comes online soon... for various reasons...

I'm actually a PCS Union Safety & Disability Rep, working within the Ministry of Justice, and I'm on 2 disability committees... firstly I am on the PCS-MoJ Disability Advisory Committee, and secondly I am currently a Executive Member of the new MoJ Disability Network... plus I am of course disabled...

Until a few days ago, I was unaware of this online community/forum, and only became aware after a simple Google search, which drew me to the following post http://www.youreable.com/forums/showthread.php/1359-Ministry-of-Justice?p=9735#post9735

So Jayde38, if you come online soon, send me a private message even if your not a PCS member... if your smart, you might be able to find on the MoJ Global address...

www.ulcerativecolitis.org.uk

pdtscully
26-03-12, 23:37

Regards
JaydeHey Jayde38... just from reading what you have said here, I know you work for the MoJ somewhere in London...

What I don't know is weather you are a PCS Union member or not... if yes, whats your Rep doing... I only ask as I am also a Rep, but more importantly, I'm a Disability Rep...

But even if your not a Union Member, I might still be able to help you... as I am also a Executive Committee Member of the new MOJ Disability Network (offically launched 26th March 2012).

The question I want to know, is why did they take you on, if they couldn't accommodate you...?

Regards
Paul Scully

beardo
11-06-12, 15:42
I've been in this situation several time in my life,and my wife has just gone through it.
I didn't see any mention of the Access to work scheme or the disability employment officers that are suppose to be accessible
at job centres Ring your local one and ask. Also ask your employer do do it as well the service should advise everyone.
Finally look at there web site.http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Employmentsupport/WorkSchemesAndProgrammes/DG_4000347

please post progress Beardo