PDA

View Full Version : Medical retirement query

LCCC
07-10-16, 13:18
Hi

I have looked through various threads on here with regards to medical retirement through ill health and wonder whether anyone has experience of going through this and can offer some advice.

About 12 years ago I had major surgery that did not work out for me which left me with chronic chest pains which I have managed ever since. Because of this condition I have been changed roles to accommodate the situation over the years but lately the pain has been unbearable at times which is severely affecting my ability to work. I am covered by the DDA by according to OHS reports in the past.

I have read that it is not easy to get pensioned off these days and if they can avoid it they will do even if you feel you have a valid claim. So I came across this website and thought I would ask just in case anyone had similar experiences.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

nukecad
07-10-16, 18:56
I only know it from the other side where they pushed me out, and it wasn't a retirement more like a sacking.

Have you tried having a talk with you supervisor or maybe direct with HR?

You may find them very willing to let you have medical retirement, especially as everyone is looking to cut staffing levels these days.

Lighttouch
08-10-16, 11:24
It's very difficult to get Tier one medical early retirement - I was lucky.

There are hoops you go through and independent doctors will assess you. I've got nerve damage and weakness down my left side. I used to write with my left hand and I can't now. That didn't stop the doctor from asking if I was ambidextrous!!

If you have one hand that works - then you might get early retirement but at Tier Two.

I also have chronic back pain - that was never brought up as an issue as they bought me a special computer chair to ease the pain.

Remember that if you retire early with an enhanced private pension the chances are you won't be able to claim means-tested benefits

LCCC
09-10-16, 17:35
I only know it from the other side where they pushed me out, and it wasn't a retirement more like a sacking.

Have you tried having a talk with you supervisor or maybe direct with HR?

You may find them very willing to let you have medical retirement, especially as everyone is looking to cut staffing levels these days.

Thank you for the reply.

LCCC
09-10-16, 18:02
It's very difficult to get Tier one medical early retirement - I was lucky.

There are hoops you go through and independent doctors will assess you. I've got nerve damage and weakness down my left side. I used to write with my left hand and I can't now. That didn't stop the doctor from asking if I was ambidextrous!!

If you have one hand that works - then you might get early retirement but at Tier Two.

I also have chronic back pain - that was never brought up as an issue as they bought me a special computer chair to ease the pain.

Remember that if you retire early with an enhanced private pension the chances are you won't be able to claim means-tested benefits

Lighttouch thank you for the response, I have chronic chest pain which is at it's most painful when I am actually sitting and I was always advised to be as active as possible but in recent times it has got so unbearable. I know normally that when engineers have issues they end up in an office environment but that is not suitable in my case, so of course there is only so many restrictions you can put in place before HR will say that their is no suitable roles available. If I can't drive too far and am unable to lift anything other than very light object I believe they might want to terminate my services on grounds of impaired capability due to ill health.

Out of interest what is Tier 1 and Tier 2 entitlements in the pension scheme. I have seen that whilst looking on google some schemes have more than two tiers.

Did you get your medical retirement recently or was it a long time ago if you do not mind me asking as I have heard that it is hard to get in recent times.

Thanks once again for the advice.

Lighttouch
11-10-16, 11:49
All companies are different. It looks like BT have two Tiers of medical retirement

- can't do existing job but could eventually do part time work - might give you a pension for say 3 years but expect you to get back into some type of work eventually

or

- can't do any work - this will attract the largest pension for life

See the link https://library.prospect.org.uk/id/2012/01103

LCCC
11-10-16, 15:44
Thanks for the link Lighttouch