PDA

View Full Version : Help!!

ShirleyWhirley
22-03-16, 10:05
I'm sorry if this is not appropriate but I have no where to turn at the moment and feel like I'm going crazy!

I am classed as disabled due to my anxiety. I have had it for many years and over the past year it has gotten worse. It's got to the point where I am terrified of making and taking calls and leaving the house.

This is difficult considering my job is within the civil service, working with customers on the phone. I won't go into too.much detail - basically I have been on long term sick, I have then returned to work where my adjustments were not reasonable (less phone time by 50%) for myself as I couldn't cope and proceeded to sit off the phones and do e-learning. My occupational health report suggested I am put on a priority move list but currently fit for my duties - HR read it that I should still be doing phone duties, and now it is delayed so they can clarify matters.

It's been 3 weeks since I had the appointment with occ health and I cannot cope sitting there looking around at everyone else thinking about how pathetic I am. I fly through the admin work and ask for more but they don't have anything for me. I've now been off work for 2 days as I cannot stand being there feeling that way.

I'd appreciate any advice or just anything so I know I'm not going mad.

Kind regards

S

nukecad
22-03-16, 16:30
Hi Shirley,

It sounds that they are aware of your problems with the phones, and now that the trial of reduced phone time has not worked have suggested that you be moved to different duties (with no phones involved) as a priority.

HR are dragging their feet, HR departments always do, they are scared of getting it wrong and being sued.
Remember they can't just create a suitable job out of thin air, and if one already exists can't just move whoever is already doing it.

I know that it is frustrating to be in this position, I've been in similar myself, but all you can do is be patient.
If needs be then get doctors notes and stay off work for a few weeks whilst they find a suitable position.

The alternative may be for them to terminate your employment on health grounds.
(That's what eventualy happened with me, and although it was a shock at first I soon realised it was for the best because of how much stress the work situation had been causing.)

I doubt that your workmates were thinking you were pathetic at all, so don't you think that.
They were probably wondering what they could do to help, and possibly wondering what they would do in your situation.
There again they may have been too busy on the phones to think about anything but the calls.

Keep strong, keep plugging away, and Good Luck.

reddivine
24-03-16, 09:07
Did you take the job knowing there was phones involved? Or did you already have the job and then got ill? sounds like you employers have been MORE than reasonable. You say yourself you don't answer the phone and "do e-learning". So maybe your co-workers think you are sciving.

ShirleyWhirley
24-03-16, 10:16
Thank you both for a reply.

Yes I know I just need to be patient :( I just needed some reassurance! I just feel silly and frustrated with myself... I am worried about being on the priority move list, but as yu said - at least I know HR haven't rushed and if they can't find me a place at least they have tried.

To answer your q red vine - I've had anxiety since my teens but the phone issued have flared up over the last 6 months or so. I've been in work with the civil service for 2 years - if I had the issues already then it would've been stupid for me to have even applied.

I don't think my co workers would think I'm mitching - i hope not anyway - they are aware of my issues and doing my elearning wouldn't count as sciving - I'm in work. Although it may sound to you that they have been more than reasonable - it's not reasonable for myself.

marilynmcl
24-03-16, 13:20
Thank you both for a reply.

Yes I know I just need to be patient :( I just needed some reassurance! I just feel silly and frustrated with myself... I am worried about being on the priority move list, but as yu said - at least I know HR haven't rushed and if they can't find me a place at least they have tried.

To answer your q red vine - I've had anxiety since my teens but the phone issued have flared up over the last 6 months or so. I've been in work with the civil service for 2 years - if I had the issues already then it would've been stupid for me to have even applied.

I don't think my co workers would think I'm mitching - i hope not anyway - they are aware of my issues and doing my elearning wouldn't count as sciving - I'm in work. Although it may sound to you that they have been more than reasonable - it's not reasonable for myself.

Hi Shirley, I think you are doing the right thing regarding your work situation at the moment. I do hope things improve for you over the next wee while. Best of luck to you pet and keep your chin up.