PDA

View Full Version : Survey on traveling for people with disabilities

PeterTolo
04-12-15, 12:28
Hi everyone!

I am currently doing a project on travel for people with disabilities for my MA at the University of West London. It was frustrating and disappointing to find out during my initial research that hotel's don't do enough to accommodate the needs of travelers with disabilities or in some cases actively don't accept bookings for these guests. In our times this is just inexplicable. We will launch a presentation for a worldwide hotel chain to try and change this and the answers from this questionnaire are vital to strengthen our position. So please fill it and share it around!

http://goo.gl/forms/XSDt7ebEjO

Thanks,

Peter
University of West London

“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” – Mother Teresa

reddivine
05-12-15, 08:54
I've filled it in but got to point out a few things. It doesn't matter what sex, age or income I have. Far more important is having accessible bathroom and entrances/exits.
MOST big chains DO make an effort. The best accessible room i had was in a Travelodge in Lancaster! Best shower? Radisson Blu in east Midlands.
you've left out entire swathes of accomodation by NOT considering B&B's and the new big thing Airbnb. Yes you CAN with careful research find a room suitable even for disabled on there.

PeterTolo
06-12-15, 11:51
Hi reddivine!

Thanks for participating and for your feedback. I understand your comments and agree. But the project is focused on the luxury hotels. Sex, age and income are important from a market segment perspective and for marketing purposes. It is Clear that Travellodge and Premmier Inn are doing an amazing job at meeting the needs of people with disabilities. But the luxury sector is still not doing enough in comparisson to their approach on service excellence for the rest of their guests. I work in a luxury hotel in central London and I am sorry to say but even the managers have no clue when it comes to guests with disabilities. And we are talking about a hotel with a minimum rate of £200 + VAT per night!

I've filled it in but got to point out a few things. It doesn't matter what sex, age or income I have. Far more important is having accessible bathroom and entrances/exits.
MOST big chains DO make an effort. The best accessible room i had was in a Travelodge in Lancaster! Best shower? Radisson Blu in east Midlands.
you've left out entire swathes of accomodation by NOT considering B&B's and the new big thing Airbnb. Yes you CAN with careful research find a room suitable even for disabled on there.