PDA

View Full Version : University Inclusive Design Project

cjoseuk
02-11-15, 21:59
Hi all, currently i'm a mechanical engineering student, the project been given is 'inclusive design'. To give you an idea of what it means, if you take a everyday object such as a tin opener, it can be used by a good percentage of the population, but imagine someone with arthritis or limited movement in their hands. A solution at the moment is to buy a electric type. The inclusive design part would be to make a mechanical opener of design as not to exclude people whilst also having it not look or feel like its made for anything but the mainstream market. another example would be a telephone that comes with large buttons and numbers but made to look modern etc. All in all the general gist is that most people don't want a product that looks specialized and would prefer designs that that blend into the background as if it was standard product
At the moment when i spoke to a family member with arthritis handles can be a problem especially PVC windows which require the press and then twist action at the same time.
All i m asking for is peoples opinions on what items in day to day life would people like to see have a more inclusive design. as upon looking up some of items to buy that attach to door handles etc are hideous bulky things.
Any insights, opinions or ideas into either products you use or even tasks that may cause a struggle would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your time.
Chris.

nukecad
03-11-15, 07:04
upon looking up some of items to buy that attach to door handles etc are hideous bulky things.

There you go, design a better one.
A better attachment, or consider a replacement for the existing handle.

Thats what mechanical design is all about- do it better than what is already out there, or cover a need that is not already catered for.
Get it right and everyone will want to buy it.

I'm a mechanical engineering designer myself, mainly for industry rather than consumer goods. Although not currently working.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here's a design related question for you:

Why do they insist on fitting keylocks into those window handles as standard?

The latches can only be accessed from the inside so any burgular is already in.
And people tend to leave the key in the lock anyway, so that they don't loose it.
Ok, child safety at home if you have a mountaineering child, but why also in every office building?

The answer may surprise you; its all about cost.

Yes it costs more to include the keylock.
But in the overall cost of the window this is neglible and leaving it out would not give you a price advantage.
(And although not strictly true your competitors would say that theirs were more burgular proof with keylocks).
It would cost more in admin, storage, etc. to have two handle options. (Keylock or not).

So it ends up cheaper, because its easier, just to fit a keylock to every window.

reddivine
03-11-15, 10:20
To answer the original question, I would not care what it looked like, as long as rthe bloody thing WORKED and made my life easier. I already have ab electric can opener and a gadget that opens jars (2 tasks really hard when you have weak wrists.

Re windows, nukecad......well depending on where you live, windows locks are a necessity! some places, you'd be DAFT not to have em. Yes I leave the keys in, cuz they would get lost.

For me, i'd like to find a temp0rary ramp that does not cost the earth, is light to carry and will go over my doorsteps. Yes, they are out there but very costly. Mostly METAL. When you live in a rented house you often cannot make changes to existing entrances/exits.

nukecad
03-11-15, 13:16
Re windows, nukecad......well depending on where you live, windows locks are a necessity! some places, you'd be DAFT not to have em. Yes I leave the keys in, cuz they would get lost.Exactly part of what I was saying.
What's the point of having a keylock if you leave the key in it?

Lighttouch
03-11-15, 13:32
I don't like to carry lots of pound coins in my pocket because everytime I put my keys out I drop a few coins. Design something to hold and dispense coins that's also a key fob e.g. use a digital 3D printer.

I'd like to see more customised designs. Something 3D-printed in coloured plastic that protects my smartphone but also has my email address etched on the cover so I can be contacted if someone finds it if I were to lose it.

Perhaps a button fastner to be used by people with less finger dexterity.

A small LED light that can clip to your crutch to illuminate the walkway. I see a light the size of a smartphone torch housed in a black plastic cylindrical unit that holds a small rechargeable button type cell battery. It just clips onto the crutch like a peg on a clothes line.

Some food for thought.

cjoseuk
03-11-15, 18:38
Re Nukecad, thanks for the response, i remember at one point being asked if the downstairs windows had locks as part of my household insurance, actually rings a bell that the keys need not to be visable for the insurace to cover this type of break in. That being said even if the key is left in it still stands to reason that the glass would still need to be broken to gain entry so you would imagine if someone went to the effort they would break one large enough to fit through, anyway is that a new procedure to put the lock on them all? as my upstairs don't have it but they may be quite old.

Onto task, that was my initial thoughts to go with a redesign of the handle that could even be retrofit to existing windows. Although it seems the assignment given does seem to discourage to go straight at the first thing and to research more than one idea, in fact it encourages to think of as many as possible.
Thanks again.

cjoseuk
03-11-15, 18:46
For me, i'd like to find a temp0rary ramp that does not cost the earth, is light to carry and will go over my doorsteps. Yes, they are out there but very costly. Mostly METAL. When you live in a rented house you often cannot make changes to existing entrances/exits.
Thanks for the input
That would be great although not using metal it may be a struggle to achieve the strength necessary, and then metal and low cost may be difficult to achieve.
With the gadget you use to open jars, the inclusive design aspect of the project would more than likely mean a redesign of the jar so people with weak wrists can open it anyway.
Thanks again greatly appreciated.

cjoseuk
03-11-15, 19:00
I don't like to carry lots of pound coins in my pocket because everytime I put my keys out I drop a few coins. Design something to hold and dispense coins that's also a key fob e.g. use a digital 3D printer.

I'd like to see more customised designs. Something 3D-printed in coloured plastic that protects my smartphone but also has my email address etched on the cover so I can be contacted if someone finds it if I were to lose it.

Perhaps a button fastner to be used by people with less finger dexterity.

A small LED light that can clip to your crutch to illuminate the walkway. I see a light the size of a smartphone torch housed in a black plastic cylindrical unit that holds a small rechargeable button type cell battery. It just clips onto the crutch like a peg on a clothes line.

Some food for thought.

Thanks some great ideas there.
some kind of pound PES dispenser, not sure about the weight if it was full of coins mind you, the phone case a good idea just not quite what i'm after. a button fastener leads me to buttons that are easier for people like you said with limited dexterity, (currently doodling some ideas for this haha). Really like the torch on a crutch to incorporate into the inclusive design it would need to be incorporated cheaply into the crutch seeming like its not there with battery compartment hidden away.
Thanks again, i'm after as much as possible idea wise, more the merrier thanks

beau
03-11-15, 19:25
Torch on crutches brings to mind that all rollators, triwalkers , in fact all types of walking frames should have lights on them for the reason of safety.

cjoseuk
03-11-15, 19:34
Torch on crutches brings to mind that all rollators, triwalkers , in fact all types of walking frames should have lights on them for the reason of safety.

Good point, maybe some reflective elements like hi-vis jackets as well as the lights, makes more sense this time of year once the clocks change. thanks

nukecad
03-11-15, 21:31
Chris,

Keep thinking and come back, I'll try to write a longer post about being a potential new designer.

Just for interest is this a first year project?

Lighttouch
03-11-15, 21:45
Really like the torch on a crutch to incorporate into the inclusive design it would need to be incorporated cheaply into the crutch seeming like its not there with battery compartment hidden away.
Thanks again, i'm after as much as possible idea wise, more the merrier thanks
Perhaps the battery and switch can be incorporated into the ergonomic grip - at the end of the handle. The switch must be flat and circular - the battery could sit behind it discretely hidden in the handle. WNwo 4wires - ne5e5ds wireless technology.

Alternatively it could be a self contained LED small bulb, battery and switch that wraps around the cylindrical shaft using velcro. Perhaps this lightweight 'add-on' could come in different colours acting as a 'fashion statement'. Comes in 'three fruity flavours and black'. lol

cjoseuk
05-11-15, 11:49
Chris,

Keep thinking and come back, I'll try to write a longer post about being a potential new designer.

Just for interest is this a first year project?

This is my second year, from the brief we have been given the idea itself is probably not as important as the process of getting there, that being said the lack of a good idea may cause problems when at comparisons to our original spec and have a lack of points to evaluate maybe. Will post some stuff as were going once finally chose a problem, there's three in the group so would make sense we each try to solve then pick the best.

cjoseuk
05-11-15, 12:07
Perhaps the battery and switch can be incorporated into the ergonomic grip - at the end of the handle. The switch must be flat and circular - the battery could sit behind it discretely hidden in the handle. WNwo 4wires - ne5e5ds wireless technology.

Alternatively it could be a self contained LED small bulb, battery and switch that wraps around the cylindrical shaft using velcro. Perhaps this lightweight 'add-on' could come in different colours acting as a 'fashion statement'. Comes in 'three fruity flavours and black'. lol

Good ideas, just a quick search i got
http://www.campingtourist.com/camping-equipment/top-10-most-useful-hiking-products/
number 9 about 3 quarters down. which is similar and could be adapted.
think wireless could be over complicating it maybe unless i haven't quite got what you mean, as would just incorporate the switch and light into the handle its self.
interesting discussion on it here
http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Crutch_20Lights
like the idea of Gimballing as the angle of the handle changes when in use. will run the idea past college's see what they think. May not quite be the road we go down with us being mechanically biased, another part of the project is around material choice and involves using a program called CES. Thanks for input again.

reddivine
05-11-15, 16:57
Talking of lights, yes I would like some clip on light that would fit on a wheelchair. Taking it out even in dusk feels very dodgy. You can't see the path and folks can't see YOU!

Again with window locks.....they are usually on double-glazed, UPVC frames and so unlikely to smashed easy. Taking them OUT and in a drawer some where then becomes a fire hazard. The safe exit suddenly becomes impossible to open. I'm leaving mine in the lock!!

Lighttouch
05-11-15, 17:14
It's funny as only an hour ago I was getting a 'house contents' quote from Dairect Line insurance. The first thing they want to establish is what type of door locks you have and do I have 'window locks'

I do have both but I never lock the double glazed windows as there's not much point. The outer glass window pane is either toughened or laminated. I have a few wide windows that have had a football kicked at them and the glass just wobbles.

You can break the glass into a million pieces but you have to know where to hit it and how hard.

Christmas is a time when thieves 'case joints' and target homes so be careful.

beau
05-11-15, 18:39
I run our NHW and the police advice is to always have your windows locked. If a window only opens or is left open enough for a head to get in then they can get in.
Reminds me of the time a lad wasn't doing his homework when I worked in school. Turns out he was going out burgling with his dad. He went in through the windows and opened the doors.

Back to keeping windows locked and the key in the lock. I always take the keys out of the locks but on each window sill I have a small lidded box into which I put the key. Out of sight but easily got at by me if needs be.

cjoseuk
10-11-15, 22:03
It's funny as only an hour ago I was getting a 'house contents' quote from Dairect Line insurance. The first thing they want to establish is what type of door locks you have and do I have 'window locks'

I do have both but I never lock the double glazed windows as there's not much point. The outer glass window pane is either toughened or laminated. I have a few wide windows that have had a football kicked at them and the glass just wobbles.

You can break the glass into a million pieces but you have to know where to hit it and how hard.

Christmas is a time when thieves 'case joints' and target homes so be careful.

I think when i read in my home insurance terms it says the keys need to be out of sight from people looking in, on another not i noticed at the in laws that they have there key on a tiny suction cup with a hook on the window frame and from the outside you can't see it at all, seems sort of obvious now haha.

Lighttouch
10-11-15, 23:41
Break ins . . .

My parents house was safe and secure but some kids broke in by removing the entire kitchen window leaving brickwork surrounding a hole!

A neighbour saw the5 break in and called the police three times while they w4ere ransacking the house.

Four lads ended up coming out of the house carrying suitcases full of stolen goods and wandered off down the main road carrying the stuff. It just so happened that plain clothe poicemen were passing these lads and thought it suspicious. They pulled up confronted the lads who just dropped the lot and legged it through the back streets towards a railway line.

They were caught red handed by the police and pleaded not guilty. The stolen goods were seized as evidence and taken back to the police station to be used as evidence.

The robbers decided to remain behind bars pleading their innocence. Six months down the line it was due to go to court but they sacked the solicitor so it wasn't for another 6 months before it went to court - then they pleaded guilty.

The judge sentenced them to 12 months imprisonment which they had served already.

So even when caught they played the system. They knew that if they pleaded innocent and stayed in prison they'd get special priveledges and an easy time.

The victims mealwhile couldn't make an insurance claim as the stolen goods were with the police for 12 months. And when the goods were given back they were covered in mould as they had been stored in a damp cellar.

So if your house is robbed you don't want it to be recovered. Have a clean break - claim on the insurance and get a dog!!