PDA

View Full Version : Future gardening!!

reddivine
08-05-15, 08:04
Hey up, nothing been on here for a while. We are kind of looking ahead to our "hypothetical garden" cuz we want to move.
I invested in a simple garden table, cuz I can no longer bend or kneel to sow seeds or potting.
Just bought a greenhouse (in bits). Boyfriend thinks I'm MAD. But its for him and the NEXT garden....
Been to a plant swap......great way to get plants for nowt!

Friend gave me a mystery plant...need to wait till it flowers to identify.!
Promised to run a plant stall for the church in July!!!!(aaaaaargh!!)

nukecad
08-05-15, 08:17
Have you thought about raised beds?
No need for kneeling or too much bending.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=812

http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/raised-beds.aspx

beau
08-05-15, 08:29
I am having my garden redone and am having raised beds so that I can look after it. Ramped up to the garden too so I can get to the greenhouse. Work has been going on for over 6 months now due to the weather putting it to a halt throughout the winter.

reddivine
15-05-15, 17:22
As a wheelchair user its deffo gonna be raised beds. But as beau will know the actual structure work is expensive and takes a while. But 1st we needs a house and a garden to move into!

Lighttouch
15-05-15, 22:25
As a wheelchair user its deffo gonna be raised beds. But as beau will know the actual structure work is expensive and takes a while. But 1st we needs a house and a garden to move into!

I'll supply food, drink and patio chairs to sit in while weeding! Sunshine is optional! LOL

reddivine
16-05-15, 07:28
Be careful, we take you up on that. Also how are you with assembling greenhouses?

Lighttouch
16-05-15, 09:23
I'm a whizz kid with an 'Allen Key' lol

Always happy to receive gardening parties!

Talking of parties I'm just been invited out to a Tapas eatery - 7 of us going - very international gathering from Mexico, Sweden, New Zealand, USA and UK!

TheFlyingKidney
18-06-15, 17:06
To quote the girl, "You've got the job"

I think raised beds or a sunken garden will be the ticket. We have plans.. ye gods, the plans...!
The garden table pucka investment.. That greenhouse.. Time, and possibly blood, swearing, sweat and tears will tell!

beau
18-06-15, 17:57
Changed my mind on raised beds, having a raised border instead so it is easier for him indoors to mow round.
Turf has been laid today, 3 men at it all day and it still isn't all done. 200 sq metres of turf is almost down and I will need some more yet. Just hoping hubby will get his act together and put the sprinklers out. Can't afford to let it die off the price it is.

Really looking forward to having a decent garden at the end of it all. Just hope the weather improves enough to sit on the patio which took 140 sq metres of Indian Stone. Got the patio furniture ready to go out for when it is all finished. A couple of lampposts to go either side of the garden entrance, a colourful peacock to fasten to the sleepers and some solar lights. Also some wooden toadstools we bought in N Yorkshire, a bird bath and feeders to go out in the back. Already have from years ago some stone planters that will go on the front at the side of the drive along with some resin moles and frogs, where there is extra parking space. Really nice birdbath to go in the middle of the front lawn too.

Got the bedding plants already to go in the tubs under the bay window and a hardy fuscia to go in a copper coal bucket which will stand on a manhole cover down the side of the house by the path.
Saw some metal ducks today that I really liked but can't think where they would go.
Before I get anything else and end up overpowered I need to see it with what I already have.

Fliss
18-06-15, 18:12
Sounds amazing Beau! Please post a picture when it's done.

Lighttouch
18-06-15, 18:14
The downside to gardens is they never stop growing!

I've got a magnificent red leafed Japanese Maple that is now being invaded by a wall climbing Virginia Creeper. The ivy has reached the guttering. The conifer trees need pruning back - all the shrubs need cutting back too.

I even employ a gardener every two weeks to cut the grass, hoe and weed / cut the hedge - they don't actually do any gardening they just tidy it up. I wouldn't mind but I didn't really want a garden - my ex did and she no longer lives here. Typical- you just can't get the wives these days!

Having said that I like being surrounded by greenery as it breaks down the suburbia look.

I'll have to arrange a shrub trimming party and put a BBQ on.

PS The cycling club had Lloyds Bank IT staff drop in volunteering for a full day repairing bikes, painting inside the clubhouse, carrying out repairs. Lloyds have adopted the club for 12 months just to offer free staff time to helping out!

Perhaps I should nominate myself to become a charity - and look for willing volunteers for gardening duties!!

beau
18-06-15, 18:29
LT will try to. Our garden is so big I will have to take several from all different angles for the back. Same on he front.
At least I will have a decent view from the large conservatory I have had on the back of the house.
Money well spent for my enjoyment and I will be able to manage the weeding.

Next year I intend to try and grow my own bedding plants from seed because I will be able to get up to the greenhouse with my frame.

beau
18-06-15, 20:51
I can access my raised borders from my patio. Done like that on purpose so I don't have to go on the grass unless I want to. In fact from the garden side I couldn't do anything at all.

Expensive, yes well, I wouldn't like to post how much it has cost me to date and there is more to be paid for as the 2nd phase is finished.
Third phase is the driveway which is to be tarmaced, yet more pennies.
All for my enjoyment and accessibility.

Can't take it with me so I may as well enjoy it whilst I can. Also it will improve the house for my daughter who will end up with it eventually.

reddivine
19-06-15, 16:00
H'mm several "perennials" bought last year failed to make a comeback this year. On the upside, picked the first strawberry of 2015 today!!
I've got those & toms in containers & hanging baskets. Also various herbs...mint, majoram, thyme, rosemary.
Bit despondent; was looking forward to daughter coming to help (she can't) and b/friend coming and getting involved (neither can he for for than 48 hrs).....so several jobs fallen by the wayside, including buying anymore. Still sposed to be running a plant stall in July.....

jt14972
24-06-15, 10:23
You should definitely grow your own veggies in that greenhouse of yours!! It's so much better for your system. I think it's brilliant that you're working on the garden, apparently gardening is really brilliant for your mental health and keeping up your spirits, as well as keeping fit, getting out in the fresh air and having something to do with your time. Might start a new project myself soon!

TheFlyingKidney
08-07-15, 11:43
When we get the garden, the greenhouse will have a good mix of fruits and ornamentals.. We hope..

My plans to spend a month @reddivine's have been foiled by lack of space at the local dialysis unit for my treatment, by which time we could have trimmed, weeded, mulched, planted and possibly added a small raised pond and a random toad!

Goes away and explodes in frustration quietly... AAArgh.